Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I hate my hometown
I hate my hometown
2008-07-14, 1:14 PM #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7505958.stm

My hometown is beautiful, next to beach on the south coast. Up the road in Sandbanks is one of the most expensive places to live in the world, houses cost millions.

On the other hand, we have some of the worst areas in england. Buses dont even travel to Townsend anymore, because Chavs jump onto the moving buses and attack the drivers. Mail isnt delivered either.

Chavs. Scallies. Scum. Single mothers with drug problems. I hate England sometimes. :carl:

I wish i had access to WMD's. problem solved.

Discuss your Town, its beauty, and its problems.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-07-14, 1:24 PM #2
Maybe you should go do some morris dancing and chase cheese down a hill.

Then you wouldn't have any problems. :colbert:
nope.
2008-07-14, 1:40 PM #3
York is beautiful, but everywhere has its problems.
2008-07-14, 1:44 PM #4
Rochester is nice and historic, but its econmy is a ****pit and the people are pricks.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-07-14, 3:09 PM #5
Haha, teaboys.
2008-07-14, 3:46 PM #6
Maybe if you had been a more prodigious underage drinker, you wouldn't have such a girlish tolerance to booze! :argh: hahah
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-07-14, 4:04 PM #7
The only thing I hate about where I live is that EVERYONE knows EVERYONE, so you can't do anything in private. Also, I'm about 45 minutes from the closest place to buy explicit CDs or any useful computer parts.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-07-14, 4:18 PM #8
My current place of residence is rated as the #9 nicest small town in the U.S., and my hometown made #60. All in all, I'd say I like where I live.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-07-14, 5:07 PM #9
Wheres the list?

Port Townsend is awesome. Tons of wooden boats.

o.0
2008-07-14, 5:28 PM #10
Ah, Louisville....well, the crime sucks.
I'd like nothing better than to buy a nice little loft downtown, but due to the absurd level of street crime it just isn't practical. :(

(in other words, Ruthy, I feel your pain)
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-07-14, 5:46 PM #11
Originally posted by Greenboy:
Wheres the list?

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/snapshots/PL2751730.html
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-07-14, 5:52 PM #12
while canberra is a lovely place to live with one of the most open minded local governments, the problems are that there is pretty much nothing to do here (as the major attractions dont do many major changes to make them worth going to very often), and our local government can be overruled if they do anything the federal government objects to (such as when john howard vetoed our allowence of same sex marriages), meaning that our supposed self governing is all just a big lie.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2008-07-14, 5:56 PM #13
Medway sucks.

Birmingham doesn't suck as much.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2008-07-14, 7:05 PM #14

Wow. That list definitely favors the east coast and midwest. Only one town in washington.

o.0
2008-07-14, 7:11 PM #15

Not suprisingly, my city isn't even on the list. :awesome:
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-07-14, 7:16 PM #16
Originally posted by Ruthven:
Buses dont even travel to Townsend anymore, because Chavs jump onto the moving buses and attack the drivers.

O_o ?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-07-14, 7:52 PM #17
my hometown is great, except for the fact that the people in the capital/southern half of the state think we don't deserve any of the money in the state general fund, or even the money from special tax funds set up with the mines to support projects in the cities around the mines. you know, help the people in the area of the mines?

**** you, people in the lower half of the state
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-07-14, 10:47 PM #18
I live in a college town and I quite like it. It's a decent area though there are lower income spots (where I happen to live) that have stupid people who try to steal your stuff.

The traffic sucks though. THe city keeps changing the roads and creating horrible bottlenecks. Some specific areas can take up to 10 mins to go just a couple miles because of the horribly illogical stop lights and the fact that there are no alternate routes.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-07-14, 11:12 PM #19
San Diego is filled with plastic women, stoned out beach bums, and lots and lots of traffic.

I never want to leave here.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2008-07-15, 1:16 AM #20
Originally posted by genk:
**** you, people in the lower half of the state

Hear hear.

Duluth has been in an economic downslide for 5 years, and continuously converts affordable housing into high end real estate for private contractors, strong arming state eminent domain laws against business owners to obtain portions of their land, only to hand it over to a private business. This is all done under the guise of "importing wealth," all while condominiums in the richest part of the town are empty, much less the $250,000 ones just above the slums. It's a disturbingly failed attempt at gentrification that simply makes our city poorer.

Pile this on top of poor decision making such as: funding a failed aquarium for 4 years with public money, only to hand it over to a private owner who immediately turns a deficit into a profit for themselves, refusing a 100% free aircraft carrier with millions in fix-up funds on the grounds of "not supporting war," closing down a centralized school and then selling the grade A, 200+ acre city view property to a private housing developer for pennies of what it's worth, and lastly imposing strict limits on smoking, alcohol licenses, and loitering in the downtown area, barring new businesses while encouraging a strip club in one of the oldest historical buildings in the city.

These are some of the reasons I was going to run for City Council, but then I realized that "Leftist Libertarian" isn't a very popular platform in Duluth, Minnesota. Also, I like not being a politician.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-15, 3:02 AM #21
I was just thinking about how I kind of miss my home town. It used to be pretty great - classic Mom & Pop milkbar, ice cream parlor, a locally owned market and a nice beach. And three video stores! The Roadhouse, as it was known (it was a gas station), had mostly old and obscure movies, Tatts had mostly mid to old but popular movies, and Molison's had mostly new releases and recently released movies. In summer they would use the indoor basketball court as a cinema (complete with plastic lawn chairs, awesome).

But now, of course, the milkbar is a "hip" cafe, the ice cream parlor is a dirty takeaway fish & chip shop, and the market was replaced by a giant chain supermarket. Every other store is selling gypsy trinket crap or overpriced home accessories. I'm pretty sure they don't show movies on the basketball court anymore since the cinemaplex opened in the neighbouring town. The old video stores closed, and in their place are a yuppie homewares store, a store that sells porcelain cats and other junk, and the Roadhouse was taken over by a chain gas station. There's just one video store now and it's not that great.

The beach is still good, though. I suppose that's something. There used to be this big wooden wharf by the boat ramp but they tore it down to put up a tiny little metal one.

Sigh. Old times.
2008-07-15, 7:55 AM #22
Round Rock is seventh on that list. Sweet!
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-07-15, 8:44 AM #23
My hometown is the frequent butt of jokes for being possibly the most boring place to live in the UK. Honda even made an advert based on ridiculing Orpington:

BASK IN THE BOREDOM!

It's not bad, but it's not very good either. I've been back home for the last 2 weeks and I'm raring to go move somewhere else but it probably won't be feasible till at least September. There's just nothing to do so Orpington's developed some strange creatures which I can only describe as middle class chavs - kids who dress and behave in the same ****ty manner but without the poverty that causes it in most other areas. Actually, there used to be an awesome second hand bookshop/cafe where you could sit and have a coffee and read and chat with almost anyone in there - last time I was there I ended up chatting about the Boer war with a portly, ex-motorbike gang member-cum-driving instructor :P

We also have one of the largest concentrations of gypsies in the UK (English-sounding versions of the pikies from Snatch). Orpington used to be part of Kent's prime hop growing countryside and the gypsies would visit the area around harvest time for work and cheap beer but they've retained the stopping grounds under traveller's rights well beyond this area's need for large numbers of migrants. So a good chunk of them have taken up annoying petty crime and many have settled into neighbouring St Mary's Cray and turned it into a council housing hell hole.
2008-07-15, 5:10 PM #24
Louisville, KY is small enough that it's relatively safe & doesn't attract too much attention but large enough to have a decent nightlife. It's getting better & better each year. We also have a ton of outdoorsy things to do within driving distance (Daniel Boone National Forest, etc.). We're also within driving distance of some other decent cities, all of which are less than 3 hours away (Cincinnati, Indianapolis & Nashville).

I recently visited New York City (Manhattan) & my girlfriend & I fell in love with the place. We're considering moving there or to Paris, FR eventually.
? :)

↑ Up to the top!