Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → [Linux help] Installing Ubuntu, can't find /bin/sh?
[Linux help] Installing Ubuntu, can't find /bin/sh?
2008-07-14, 8:40 PM #1
Pretty much the same error this guy gets.

nit: rcS main process (6113) killed by SEGV signal
init: Unable to execute "/bin/sh" for rc-default: No such file or directory
init: rc-default main process (7342) terminated with status 255

I have tried installing it via Wubi, Ubuntu live cd, and an kubuntu 7.10 cd. I fear another distro wouldn't help, and haven't tried. I can't even get a kiddie thing to install.

I have windows vista installed on one hard drive, the other is formatted.

Any help would be appreciated. I miss my amaroks.
2008-07-15, 7:42 PM #2
Hardware details?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-07-15, 7:59 PM #3
no answers for you, but I think something similar happened to me when I tried to install it on my core 2 quad.
2008-07-15, 8:03 PM #4
Pretty older computer.

Intel Pent 4 2.93 GHz
1.5 GB RAM
SATA 250 GB HDD
SATA 150 GB HDD (the one where I eventually want linux on)
Some ****ty PCI video card...ATI Radeon HD 2400, two monitors plugged into it now, one is shut off. I tried using onboard intel video card too.
2008-07-17, 2:14 AM #5
Can you boot from the LiveCD? Or does the error come up when you try to boot from the LiveCD as well?

I did a quick check thru the Ubuntu forums (you probably have too) ... this guy had the same problem and claims that it went away after he took out some new RAM he installed.

For a stupidly simplistic guess -- if you can boot from the LiveCD, maybe you could try mounting the root partition and linking /bin/sh to dash manually from the cd.
一个大西瓜
2008-07-17, 9:38 AM #6
I'll try removing some RAM, but I did several memory test and they passed with no errors. Odd.

No, I'm not able to boot in livecd either, which means there is something wrong with the ram. But odd that /bin/sh not found is due to that?

I'll give it a try when I'm at home

↑ Up to the top!