Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Nintendo
Nintendo
2008-07-15, 5:42 PM #1
When the Wii first came out I called it out as a gimmick that would disappoint hardcore fans. I said they would end up in the same cycle of waiting for first party Nintendo titles to eek out one by one while lots of shovelware appeared on the system.

Everyone told me I was wrong, and the revolution was upon us! I got banned from a number of forums for my heresy.

How do you guys feel after *THAT* E3 showing? Ugh.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2008-07-15, 5:42 PM #2
This is what I'm saying!
2008-07-15, 6:14 PM #3
Exactly what forums were you visiting that would ban for saying that?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-07-15, 6:24 PM #4
I think massassi pretty much agreed with you then.

And then we all bought wiis anyway.
2008-07-15, 6:27 PM #5
I'll just say that business practices do not necessarily equal the possibilities of the system. In any case, it's too bad you apparently feel so persecuted.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-07-15, 6:34 PM #6
Even if they didn't create an awe-inspiring "gaming revolution", Nintendo created, debatably, a somewhat "cultural revolution" when it comes to games and the public. Maybe it just boils down to better penetration, but it seems like the Wii, despite its inherent flaws, has become much more of an icon of gaming in the general consumer culture than any other gaming system in past years. I've seen articles about Wii's found in retirement homes among seniors, and on the commuter train I take daily going to NY, I always see adults, with proper business dress attire, using the DS to play puzzle games and crosswords. The touchscreen of the DS may seem gimmicky but Nintendo is laughing their way to the bank, no?

Maybe Nintendo lost "hardcore" fans, but if there are more "casual" or "new" gamers for every one serious, gaming veteran, should they really try to concern themselves in making these jaded consumers happy? At the end of the day, games like Carnival Games, Mario Party 8, Wii Play, Wii Fit are the ones sellings. Games like Metroid Prime 3 brought in stale figures. So did No More Heroes, etc.

Good thing I got my Wii as a gift. :v:
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-07-15, 7:29 PM #7
Seems like the system to get these days has shifted to Xbox 360.

Theres always a cycle to these things though. Although one thing will almost always remain true.

PC>counsel.

Why? Simple. Most counsel games are relased on PC's, and the ones that aren't can almost always be emulated by a PC. Also another beautiful thing about PC's is private servers. I know many will probably argue, but thats just how I see it. Plus when new PC games come out, unless you have neglected small upgrades, you most likely won't have to spend $600 to play them. *coughps3cough*
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-07-15, 8:17 PM #8
It's console.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2008-07-15, 8:22 PM #9
PC is way better than counsel.
2008-07-15, 8:39 PM #10
You suck Vinny.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2008-07-15, 9:05 PM #11
Quote:
It's console.

Yet another reason why I hate the english language.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-07-15, 9:22 PM #12
Originally posted by Onimusha.:

They're not even pronounced the same...
2008-07-15, 9:22 PM #13
Console has an 'oh' in it.
2008-07-15, 9:23 PM #14

baka nihonjin desu ka?
2008-07-15, 10:07 PM #15
Originally posted by Jon`C:
baka nihonjin desu ka?

おまえも間違ったんだろう
一个大西瓜
2008-07-15, 10:35 PM #16
\304a \307e \3048 \3082 \9593 \9055 \3063 \305f \3093 \3060 \308d \3046
2008-07-15, 11:07 PM #17
Seems like the system to get these days has shifted to Xbox 360.

Seems to me that shift occurred when the 360 was released, or shortly thereafter.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-07-16, 5:20 AM #18
The Wii has some great advantages over the other systems, but it also has some large disadvantages as well. Like you said, "Shovelware" is getting annoying to see. If nothing else, it seems the Wii is best fitted for larger groups of people in one place as opposed to one or two players on the other systems.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-07-16, 5:26 AM #19
I disagree. When I've gotten a group of people in the same group as the wii, we'll have some fun for about 30 minutes, then it gets boring, we realize it's stupid, and do something else.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-07-16, 5:30 AM #20
The Wii is achieving exactly what they set out to achieve. They've already got a gameboy in everybody's hands, and even hardcore gamers buy their ****. They wanted to expand their market to untapped consumers, and they did just that. Whether it's profitable or not has yet to be seen (they haven't lost money yet, have they?) but you certainly can't call it a failure at this point.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-16, 6:02 AM #21
Uh, they've definitely made money. Lots of it.
2008-07-16, 6:58 AM #22
I still want one, but they're definitely slow to come with the awesome titles. Oh, and kirby, they've made ridiculous amounts of money--they're basically building a gamecube for 10bux extra and selling it for 5 times the price. Considering they're still sold out everywhere all the time, how could they not?
D E A T H
2008-07-16, 10:01 AM #23
Just for the record, I bought a wii shortly after launch. Never finished zelda, didn't much like metroid. Hated Mario galaxy. Didn't find many games I liked except excite truck. We play our 360 a lot more, the wii just sits and collects dust. My stepson bought smash bros but even that he played for only a couple of weeks.
2008-07-16, 11:46 AM #24
I play my Wii more than I play my 360, and the only game I play is Smash Bros. It's just that good.

↑ Up to the top!