Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → micro torrent or vuze?
micro torrent or vuze?
2008-07-15, 6:54 PM #1
i'm using vuze but dont use it for anything other than downloading torrents. (intrepid ibex legalness)
what's the opinion on micro torrent?
2008-07-15, 6:57 PM #2
What, you mean µTorrent? I haven't touched Vuze, but µTorrent is by far the best BitTorrent client I have used, and is constantly improving.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-07-15, 6:58 PM #3
µTorrent is the standard, at this point. I haven't been to a private tracker that allowed anything else other than the best mac alternative.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-15, 7:04 PM #4
yeah. mu torrent. mu in my business is micro. i can't make the symbol. alt+0181 usually does it.

thanks.
2008-07-15, 7:14 PM #5
I know what µ is, I was just confused because you didn't use it. Wasn't sure if there was some other thing actually called MicroTorrent. :P
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-07-15, 8:27 PM #6
I thought it was a Pokemon.
2008-07-16, 1:31 AM #7
I use rTorrent on my headless NAS box for managing my seeds/downloads. Has a great deal of configurability in terms of managing multiple wach directories to initiate downloads on added torrents, ratio to stop after or keep seeding forever, move when completed, &c. I just keep it running in screen and monitor over ssh and works great.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2008-07-16, 1:57 AM #8
I only question how feature-rich rTorrent is. A lot of trackers want the program to return certain variables, keep track of extra data, and a whole host of other things. OiNK used to have a whole list of [seemingly nitpicky] problems with non-µTorrent clients. I don't know how rTorrent stacks up because I don't know enough about the background/behind-the-scenes business. I'm just bringing up the possibility of some trackers not accepting it, or even getting banned for using it. You should always check readmes before downloading from even a public tracker.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-16, 2:51 AM #9
Is it just me, or does having to use a particular client seem completely contrary to the whole point of widespread p2p sharing? So long as they all support the basic protocol at least.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2008-07-16, 5:24 AM #10
Well, come clients can spoof the tracker (Zure) which can effect ratios, as well as provide for possible industry moles, where others have serious leaks (bitcomet) that can lead to 99% issues, or pad ratios. There are some other, even scarier issues with some of the mac and *unix clients, like ip broadcasting and hijacking of packets to send malicious files.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-07-16, 7:38 AM #11
rTorrent is pretty damn feature-rich. I use it whether I have a gui or not. It seems to keep track of things quite nicely as far as reporting goes. It also depends on how you have your .rtorrent.rc file set up as well.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-07-16, 7:48 AM #12
I just looked it up, and it is pretty easy to spoof your ratio in rTorrent.
2008-07-16, 9:26 AM #13
Azureus before Vuze was awesome. now its a resource hog. i only use uTorrent now.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-07-16, 9:51 AM #14
Azureus was a resource hog to begin with because of the Java VM overhead.
2008-07-16, 10:50 AM #15
I'm still using ABC, I like the stripped down-ness.

Although I may check out this utorrent thing. Blasted greek symbols.
nope.
2008-07-16, 10:56 AM #16
I use to use azureus.. but when v3 came out it was a total pos

utorrent all the way
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-07-16, 11:11 AM #17
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I'm still using ABC, I like the stripped down-ness.

Although I may check out this utorrent thing. Blasted greek symbols.

µTorrent is about as small an application as you can get.
2008-07-16, 4:51 PM #18
I use KTorrent on FreeBSD and Transmission on OS X. I prefer KTorrent.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2008-07-17, 11:10 PM #19
I use Deluge. Its goal is to be comparable to μtorrent, though since I haven't used the latter I can't say how well it does. It's primarily for Linux, but I think they have a version for Windows, and I seem to remember that you can install it on Mac through some kind of magic.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?

↑ Up to the top!