Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What stories would you like to READ on the ISB?
What stories would you like to READ on the ISB?
2008-07-17, 6:02 PM #1
What stories would you like to READ on the Interactive Story Board?

Please note that I'm not saying write, but read. I'd like to personally take a stab at appealing to an interested audience (instead of just other writers), but I need to know what my audience would be interested in reading. The more specific you can be, the better I am able to offer.

Feel free to make this a "what types of stories you like the most and why" thread.

Personally, I like stories set more or less in a modern setting mixed with an element of fantasy that doesn't perpetuate the same dungeons and dragons, swords and sorcery (or their "sci-fi" eqivalent) etc. stuff. I just feel that those genres in particular should be defined by their means of CHALLENGING conventions and not bound to them.

I'll appreciate any earnest reply to my request. :)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-07-17, 6:03 PM #2
/me tugs massassi furiously
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-17, 6:04 PM #3
I'm starting to wonder if NoESC is going to reply to all my threads like that from now on... :confused:
2008-07-17, 6:07 PM #4
Damn I forgot to write 15 minute stories
2008-07-17, 7:18 PM #5
probably. let's write a story about it!
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-17, 7:33 PM #6
I'd like to read more humorous star wars skits. Not too over-the-top, but not serious, either.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-07-17, 7:42 PM #7
Originally posted by NoESC:
/me tugs massassi furiously

Oh, baby, don't stop.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-07-17, 7:44 PM #8
The Adventures of Wolfy: Computer Guy by Day, Top Secret Detective by Night
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-07-17, 7:47 PM #9
Originally posted by Tracer:
The Adventures of Wolfy: Computer Guy by Day, Top Secret Detective by Night

The Adventures of Wolfy: Communist by Day, KGB by Night
Attachment: 19751/Wolfy is a Communist.jpg (26,658 bytes)
2008-07-17, 7:52 PM #10
City Eternal. *cough*

:D
2008-07-17, 7:57 PM #11
Erotic. Erotic stories.
Last edited by mb; today at 10:55 AM.
2008-07-17, 8:04 PM #12
Dude, we could have a whole 'Adventures of Wolfy: The Something of Something' series! I'm on the case!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-07-17, 8:06 PM #13
Originally posted by CaveDemon:
Erotic. Erotic stories.

Somehow I don't think I could write those here on Massassi... :P Or could I? Hrm...

THE ONE-NIGHT STAND
The pimp :cool: meets the shy lover :colbert:
He whips it out :hist101: and the lover is in awe :omg:
Then there is :master: which results in :XD:!

The end.
2008-07-17, 8:07 PM #14
Originally posted by Tracer:
Dude, we could have a whole 'Adventures of Wolfy: The Something of Something' series! I'm on the case!

That got me thinking as well. But you got other stuff first, Tracer! :ninja:
2008-07-17, 8:08 PM #15
I do?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-07-17, 8:12 PM #16
Uh, yeah, like NeS, foo'! Mr. "I'm super-busy this summer" and such. If nothing else, you seemed to have wanted to give some lovin' to the possessed toaster.

Mostly though, I'm just trying to keep you from starting Adventures of Wolfy before I do. >.>
2008-07-17, 8:23 PM #17
Too late! My internets are faster.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-07-17, 8:27 PM #18
Darn you Tracer, darrrrrrn yooooooooou! :argh:

Oh well. I anticipate this series to become a best-seller by next week! As least with my contributions... ^_^
2008-07-17, 9:32 PM #19
I'd like to see some sort of suspense story. I don't have any particular ideas, maybe a detective story. Dick Tracy style.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-07-17, 10:29 PM #20
Sounds like a job for Wolfy.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-07-17, 10:35 PM #21
I'd like to read about a taco that has a hint of spookiness in it.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2008-07-18, 5:45 AM #22
I don't mean to seem rude and I might be alone with my opinion, but the only time I looked at the ISB was to read some of NeS and I found it quite a tedious read. I'm sure the writers have had fun with it though.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2008-07-18, 9:21 AM #23
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Somehow I don't think I could write those here on Massassi... :P Or could I? Hrm...

THE ONE-NIGHT STAND
The pimp :cool: meets the shy lover :colbert:
He whips it out :hist101: and the lover is in awe :omg:
Then there is :master: which results in :XD:!

The end.

:suicide:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-07-18, 9:52 AM #24
:hist101: :v:

:tinfoil:
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-07-18, 11:06 AM #25
I might finally get round to posting that new story tonight if I ever think of a damn title.
nope.
2008-07-18, 11:08 AM #26
Stories with no characters.
2008-07-18, 11:40 AM #27
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Stories with no characters.

Take 3/4ths of the LOTR trilogy.
2008-07-18, 11:43 AM #28
I'm Wolfy, and I endorse a series about me.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-07-18, 12:54 PM #29
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Take 3/4ths of the LOTR trilogy.

Yes but technically the scenery could be characters (which usually turns out to be the case in his stories).

Like if you had a story about the clouds, you'd basically have to anthropomorphize the clouds for the story to make sense. Our language is strongly structured by actors and verbs and I think a story that eschewed those concepts would be rather interesting.
2008-07-18, 5:37 PM #30
So you're asking for a story in which nothing happens to nothing? Verbs are necessary to describe actions -- plots require cause and effect. Even if I'm to assume you mean trying to avoid non-anthropomorphizing objects when writing, the reader would attempt to identify (probably by anthropomorphizing) with what is being told to make any meaningful sense. If you want to get Dada-ist or whatnot and attempt to describe something utterly foreign and without logic, there's nothing stopping that, but I'm fairly certain if that's possible, it's only through poetry, not prose. The best I can figure is something like:
Quote:
The awlfihn yims like a lifeless body in suspended animation.
An "awlfihn" could be something that resembles a living x-ray-colored river tied in a messy knot, and "to yim" could be to move with purpose along a 4th dimensional axis. This sentence alone of course fails to give enough of a context -- where is it found? How does something move on a 4th dimensional axis like a lifeless body in suspended animation? More to the point, why does the reader care?

Describing something happening without some level of agency (whether by the actor or from an outside influence on the actor) would make any story incomprehensible. This isn't even taking into account that a "slice of life" (just describing a scene) is not usually considered a story. Perhaps I'm reading too much into what you'd be interested in seeing...?

EDIT: The effort itself could prove very useful -- I'm just saying I don't think the actual goal could be "successful" in what it sets out to do. I could be misunderstanding something here though.

↑ Up to the top!