Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Tech: PCI Expressx16 vs PCI Express 2x16
Tech: PCI Expressx16 vs PCI Express 2x16
2008-07-21, 9:32 AM #1
My current video card is a GeForce6800GT which is a PCI Express 16.

I was looking at the specs for UT3, and was considering what it would take to get a better vid card.

The question: I didn't know if PCI Express2x16 cards would fit in the PCI Expressx16 slots. Is there a physical difference?

For that matter, I don't know if my mobo would run it either...
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2008-07-21, 9:55 AM #2
Google for a picture.
2008-07-21, 10:41 AM #3
Quote:
PCIe 2.0 is backward and forward compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0, and vice versa. In some rare cases it is possible that a PCI-E 2.0 card will not work correctly on a PCI-E 1.0a slot. This is only limited to certain video cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-07-21, 10:42 AM #4
No I'm pretty sure they are the same.. but your motherboard chipset has to support pci-e 2.0 x16 or you are wasting money.. but even so you are still wasting your money
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-07-21, 11:34 AM #5
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
No I'm pretty sure they are the same.. but your motherboard chipset has to support pci-e 2.0 x16 or you are wasting money.. but even so you are still wasting your money

Explain for those of us that are :downs:.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."

↑ Up to the top!