Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So, I saw The Village again (Spoilers)
So, I saw The Village again (Spoilers)
2004-08-10, 4:01 PM #1
Did anyone else notice at the very end, when the guy goes to get medicine for Ivy, the other guy reading the newspaper is M. Night? I just realized it this time, 1.) I noticed his voice. 2.) you see his reflection in the fridge door when that guy opens it to get the meds.

Also, the first time I saw it I only got spooked once, this time I almost crapped my pants like 5 times! I didn't get scared at the one part I did the first time because I was ready for it. But all the others I didn't find scary at my first watching GAH scared me sh**less this time!

This movie rocks. All those who complain about the twist and the ending and how its "So boring" are on crack [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]. It really took a second watching for me to really appreciate the film. The first time I was like "Yeah it's good...I guess" Now I am in love with it. I picked up on so much more, the story is 100x more in depth then I thought the first time, and I hadn't realized until now "This movie is so freaking brilliant". The acting is fabulous, the ending is belive it or not perfect for the film. They all decide to keep on with the life style because all of them have had family killed and they want a better life for everyone. The acting was marvelous, Noah, Ivy the whole lot.

M.Night is like a modern day Hitchcock. He rawks [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Post any things you noticed in The Village, even if you didn't enjoy the film. Just little tid-bits you picked up.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º< ) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º< )

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited August 10, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-10, 4:11 PM #2
Yes, I did notice whatshisface was that guard. In fact I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in the first thread. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-08-10, 4:39 PM #3
He needs about 20 more movies with better scripts to match Hitchcock.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-10, 4:43 PM #4
Our complaints are not that the surprise ending was bad, in fact it was good, but instead that the surprise ending was revealed waaay too early, thus ruining the scene with Noah dressed as a ... 'red thing'. And the rest of the movie. It just wasn't scary after that, it was boring. Now if it was revealed after her trip back... then that would let us get spooked some more with creepy noises in the woods, and it wouldn't be too late at all.
DO NOT WANT.
2004-08-10, 4:48 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Our complaints are not that the surprise ending was bad, in fact it was good, but instead that the surprise ending was revealed waaay too early, thus ruining the scene with Noah dressed as a ... 'red thing'. And the rest of the movie. It just wasn't scary after that, it was boring. Now if it was revealed after her trip back... then that would let us get spooked some more with creepy noises in the woods, and it wouldn't be too late at all. </font>

Those were the scariest parts >.<

When it zooms out from him near the tree. Then when he suddenly runs at her, and when she almost falls in the hole. Those parts all scared the crap out of me. The only part before that was when you first see the things run under the guard tower...

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
2004-08-10, 4:55 PM #6
Well I kindof started thinking a couple of things when Noah attacked her. One of which was that I remembered back to when he said "there were rumors of creatures living in these woods, and that's where we got the idea..." and I thought woah it turns out the rumors weren't just rumors after all! But then if you look at it like that it's kindof cheesy that they looked exactly alike... anyway, it was a pretty good movie. I liked it, though I agree it was revealed way too early, and to be honest I was a little dissapointed with what was revealed.

------------------
2004-08-10, 5:09 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
He needs about 20 more movies with better scripts to match Hitchcock.

</font>

Seconded. Hitchcock is a GOD. When I catch one of his movies on, I almost always drop what I've been doing and watch the rest of it.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-10, 5:12 PM #8
The Village is one of those films that you have to think long and deep about. I've been involved in video production for a number of years, and it's my number one hobby (even moreso than editing). You guys would not believe the amount of symbolism in these kinds of movies. Everything has a symbolic meaning, whether it's the camera angle, the film tint, or the placement of the sun/moon.

To truly appreciate movies such as M. Night's, you have to think and analyze. A couple examples are the monsters; they represent the evil outside of the village, the real monsters. Did you guys notice the newspaper the guy was reading at the end, and the radio? The preserve was started so those people could get away from all of the violence and killing in the world. The color red symbolized the bloodshed that was common in the outside world, and so was forbidden.

On paper, The Village is a masterpiece, but people who are expecting some action-packed, thrills and chills rollarcoaster ride ain't gonna find it here; this is a thinking man's movie.

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-08-10, 5:14 PM #9
^ You win. That's what I said to my friend about. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

------------------
2004-08-10, 5:21 PM #10
I loved that there are a bunch of long shots, almost the entire scene with Ivy on Lucius on the porch was one shot, for example.

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-08-10, 5:22 PM #11
I noticed that as well in one scene at the end when (I forgot his name the one with the beard) explains how he let her go alone and that remember all of our decisions are for good blah blah...I was like "How the hell can you remember 5 mins of dialouge"

------------------
2004-08-11, 8:04 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Our complaints are not that the surprise ending was bad, in fact it was good, but instead that the surprise ending was revealed waaay too early, thus ruining the scene with Noah dressed as a ... 'red thing'.</font>

I'm kind of torn on this. On the one hand, I agree it would have been scarier had we not known that the 'red things' we really just some of the elders dressed up until after the blind girl was attacked. On the other hand, there would have been a ton of stuff to explain all at once in the end had he put it off. It would be difficult to explain that the 'red things' we elders and then explain that Noah stole a costume and was the red thing that attacked the blind girl all at the same time.

And I disagree that the rest of the movie was boring, or not scary. The scariest parts were when Noah attacks the blind girl, even though we know its not a "creature."

But regardless of whether you liked how the plot was laid out in the movie, it was an incredible allegory of how fear works in our minds and what it takes to overcome fear. You may or may not have been scared by the 'red things', but I don't think that was supposed to be the point. The point is that you ARE scared of something, and that fear IS keeping you from having something (or becoming something) greater. Really brilliant stuff.
"Good Asian dubs are like Steven Segal and plot; they just dont appear in the same movie." -Spork
2004-08-11, 4:40 PM #13
I don't like this film that much. Good acting and all but still, I think its rather stupid. You spend a nice amount of time enjoying a nicely plot thats laid out mysteriously and then you go

"Oh... so there not monsters... wtf?"

------------------
\(='_'=)/
\(='_'=)/

↑ Up to the top!