Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Tips in texturing a model.
Tips in texturing a model.
2004-08-10, 12:58 PM #1
I have a friend who made a model. He sent me 2 jpgs, one side view, and 1 front. I would like to know how I will make a texture for it. Please help.

Thx =]

------------------
\(='_'=)/
\(='_'=)/
2004-08-10, 1:06 PM #2
Hmm, let me be a bit more specific. I can make the texture, but i don't know how to make it so it alligns properly.

------------------
\(='_'=)/
\(='_'=)/
2004-08-10, 1:07 PM #3
Um. I think he needs to UV map it before you make the textures. A side and front view aren't going to help, unless it's a box with no top or bottom.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-10, 1:14 PM #4
It all depends on what format the model is in and what program you'll use to texture it. Some formats, I think most nowadays, will use either md1 or md2 types of skinning. An md1 type skinning, where you use top/bottom, or left/right and take it from one image. Others use an md2 type skinning where you have to specify parts of the image for separate surfaces, [like thrawn said, a UV map.] And then there's crazy engines like the Sith engine that will take a different image for every surface.

I think milkshape can do all kinds of formats and skinning methods, though I've never used it. Give that a try. [Oh, and in order to skin a model, it's pretty hard to go from just images and not the model itself.]

------------------
The Devious Server

[This message has been edited by RingMaster481 (edited August 10, 2004).]
2004-08-10, 1:19 PM #5
I wasn't referring to what the engine would accept per se, what I meant was the model will look like utter crap if he skins it that way. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

And RingMaster, I got an extremely strong sense of deja vu reading your post...odd.

------------------

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-11, 7:29 PM #6
Hmm, my friend is using 3d studios max 5. Any tips to do this?

------------------
\(='_'=)/
\(='_'=)/
2004-08-11, 7:35 PM #7
To do what?

------------------

↑ Up to the top!