Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Who says games don't run in Linux?
Who says games don't run in Linux?
2004-08-11, 7:43 PM #1
Yeah, so after installing the Linux drivers for my 9600XT (very easy, although everyone says it's impossible), I decided to download the UT2k4 demo and try it out. It runs beautifully! The first full-3D game I've seen run nicely in Linux!

Specs:
Barton 2500, 512mb RAM, ASUS Radeon 9600XT 256mb VIVO
Gentoo Linux - dev kernel 2.6.7r11
Latest X.org, KDE 3.2, ATI binaries

I play at 1280x1024 at full details, and it just runs sooo smoothly! I want more! Can you guys suggest some (preferably free, demos if necessary) Linux-native games?

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-11, 7:45 PM #2
SOme games do, but I don't think most do...

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-11, 8:35 PM #3
RTCW:ET is free and Linux-native.

Edit: And America's Army.

[This message has been edited by fourwood (edited August 11, 2004).]
2004-08-11, 9:31 PM #4
I run unreal tournament, doom 1 & 2 (doom legacy, opengl port), quake 2, quake 3, and ut2k3 on Linux all the time. Neverwinter Nights also has a linux port but the game was so boring I couldn't stand it. None of this is through wine either.

------------------
Brian's Web Log is CLOSED.
2004-08-12, 1:32 AM #5
Quake 3? Doom 3 in a few days/weeks.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-12, 3:41 AM #6
It's not that Linux won't run games, its that Linux won't run many games, and not nearly as detailed.

To run well, the games require a direct linux port. Otherwise, you need to use wine, then you loose performance. On top of that, you are pretty much forced into OpenGL, while not a bad thing, is really bad when forced upon a game only meant for DirectX.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-08-12, 5:02 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
Neverwinter Nights also has a linux port but the game was so boring I couldn't stand it.
</font>

Finally! Someone who agrees with me on that!
2004-08-12, 5:12 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Who says games don't run in Linux?</font>

I do. After several hours of attempts, I could not get drivers to work for my POWERCOLOR Radeon 9600 pro. I'm talking like 6 different ways of installing drivers, none of them worked.
2004-08-12, 6:51 AM #9
What X-server and kernel where you using? ATI states that their drivers don't support the 2.6 series of kernels, so they can be hard to get working if that's what you're using. Also, if you're using X.org instead of XFree86, you'll have to copy the config file created by ATI's setup over your existing /etc/xorg.conf, since ATI's setup program generates a .conf for XFree.

In Gentoo it was easy as pie to install: emerge ati-drivers [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] And then putting the config file in the right place. I get over 3000fps in glxgears [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

CM, I know that games run crappy in Wine most of the time, UT2k4 was the first linux port that I tried. I had always tried to get my games working in Wine/WineX. Has anyone tried Cedega (WineX 4.0)?

Keep the games coming! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-12, 11:57 AM #10
Cedega supports ALL DX9 games, supposedly.

But yeah, the new ATi drivers happened were helped by my friend, he noticed that some of the things he asked for from a driver developer at ATi were put in. I can't list them, but I just wanted to make this small, geeky, crappy, claim-to-know-someone-who-has-a-claim-to-fame.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-12, 12:07 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Cedega supports ALL DX9 games, supposedly.</font>

They also said that about WineX. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] If Cedega actually copied Win32 binaries of a CD provided by the user, and used those for most of its "emulation" (I know it's not that, lack of better word) then maybe it could. While Linux needs quite a bit of standardization before it's good enough for most desktop use, I'd switch to Linux in an instant if I could truely run anything with Cedega. This would have to include other applications, like game editors and other programs I like.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!