Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Windows... A pain in the-
Windows... A pain in the-
2004-08-12, 10:41 AM #1
Hi!
If a program crashes, what do I do?
I take Task Manager, and say End Task. That seems to do the trick alot.
Now, if a program tottally crashes, and I do the same things again, it won't close, but gives me an annoing error.
"This program cannot be closed. If it is being debugged, please resume it or close the debugger first."
My question to you is, is there any way I can close it dispite the debugger? Or, where is this debugger so I can shoot it?

/Edward
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2004-08-12, 10:43 AM #2
Magnet + Hard Drive.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-12, 10:46 AM #3
Don't listen to him!

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-08-12, 10:47 AM #4
Magnet + hard drive probably won't do much.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-12, 11:10 AM #5
Wash out the inside of your case with Tide. That usually does the trick for me.

Or you could go to the system processes tab in the same window, find the process itself and end it that way.
2004-08-12, 11:15 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Magnet + hard drive probably won't do much.</font>

No, I tried it once on an old 2.5gb drive. It corrupted about 85% of the drive.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-12, 11:38 AM #7
Nope. If you're sick of Windows, and don't play many games, and have an nVidia card (why?), get Knoppix.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-12, 11:46 AM #8
You can use knoppix with practically any video card.

------------------
Brian's Web Log is CLOSED.
2004-08-12, 11:48 AM #9
knoppix is great, the only downside is that one of your cd drives is always tied up while using it.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-12, 11:53 AM #10
Right. And you can always end the debugger process, since it's silly anyway. Is it called BugSolver? I think it is. In the process list.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-12, 12:06 PM #11
Page--no it isn't. You DO know Knoppix gets loaded into the RAM right? At least most of it. That's how it runs so fast. The only reason you need it is if you would install something. Seriously, try popping the CD out sometime.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-12, 12:08 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Page--no it isn't. You DO know Knoppix gets loaded into the RAM right? At least most of it. That's how it runs so fast. The only reason you need it is if you would install something. Seriously, try popping the CD out sometime.

</font>

tried it. The eject button wouldn't work. Of course, I only have 512 mb of ram.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-12, 12:09 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
No, I tried it once on an old 2.5gb drive. It corrupted about 85% of the drive.</font>

Oh, I thought they were more robust than that. Well, putting your speakers near your PC certainly doesn't do anything anyway. Not does putting magnets on the side of your case. And I mean fun-cartoon-sticky magnets, not huge speaker magnets that require a screwdriver to pry off.

------------------
2004-08-12, 12:26 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Seriously, try popping the CD out sometime.</font>

I've tried that many times. It doesn't work. I haven't attempted trying to manually unmount the cd, though.
2004-08-12, 12:35 PM #15
Knoppix runs from the CD for me too.. whenver I run a program there is CD activity... and I have 1gb of ram.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
-----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-08-12, 1:21 PM #16
I have some really powerful magnets; I use them for making funny colours on CRT screens (thank God for degauss). The ironic thing is, I got them out of a hard drive.

------------------
Four dimensions, four fundamental forces... coincidence?
Stuff
2004-08-12, 1:32 PM #17
I was at a LAN once. It was hot... My friend pulls out a big fan, and sets it next to my monitor. I turn around, and theres this giant red sploch on my monitor [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif] Anyway, its still there today, very subtle though, and I am still pissed at him.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-12, 1:37 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
I was at a LAN once. It was hot... My friend pulls out a big fan, and sets it next to my monitor. I turn around, and theres this giant red sploch on my monitor [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif] Anyway, its still there today, very subtle though, and I am still pissed at him.

</font>

did you try degauss?

------------------
2004-08-12, 1:39 PM #19
Yes, many times. That was about a year ago, and it is still there today. Hardly noticable anymore, only on white screens.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-12, 1:46 PM #20
Hammer + HD

------------------
deviantART gallery.
2004-08-12, 2:28 PM #21
That's REALLY weird. I always am able to pop it out of the tray and put something else in. Only 512 MB of ram. Hrmm.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-12, 3:17 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Oh, I thought they were more robust than that. Well, putting your speakers near your PC certainly doesn't do anything anyway. Not does putting magnets on the side of your case. And I mean fun-cartoon-sticky magnets, not huge speaker magnets that require a screwdriver to pry off.

</font>

Aren't speakers usually shielded? And those little sticky magnets are usually so weak they won't reach the hard drive from the outside of the case. Put them on the drive itself though, and I bet they would have an effect.

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2004-08-12, 3:32 PM #23
I new somsone who had a phone on top of their computer that kept corrupting files (the magnet in the bell ringer).

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-12, 4:17 PM #24
Hey Pagewizard, you do know that you can install Knoppix to the hard drive....

Just go to the "Run Command" and enter "sudo knoppix-installer" and poof, there you go. It helps if you already create a Linux ext2 or ext3 partition and a swap partition before you do this though, or else it will give you some trouble. Making the partitions takes probably max 20 minutes. So there

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-08-12, 5:57 PM #25
It won't let me unmount /cdrom because it's busy. So yeah.. that's a no.
2004-08-12, 6:56 PM #26
You can install KNoppix to your hard drive, although I dont recommend it. Try Debian Sarge.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fourwood:
...I haven't attempted trying to manually unmount the cd, though.</font>

I have. Its not pretty.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-13, 5:06 AM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fourwood:
It won't let me unmount /cdrom because it's busy. So yeah.. that's a no.</font>

You can force it, but that would be ugly.

Anyway, Knoppix 3.4 has a simple script that lets you use knoppix without the CD (to install stuff, for example). Just click on the knopper icon, and go to install program from CD or something. Works great. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Also, you can have knoppix make an iso of the CD to a hard drive partition and it'll run from that instead. You can use nearly any partition except NTFS, such as all the linux partitions, and FAT/FAT32.

And if you have a gig o ram or more, you can copy the iso to RAM, although my experiences with that have been bad. (It never finishes, for example. Just takes exponentially longer)

Oh, and Emon:

Most speakers have shielding to avoid damaging hard drives. And those refrigerator magnets will get a hard drive, I've seen it happen at work. The hard drive was mounted on the front (pointing up, flat against the front) of the case (it was those stupid emachines PCs). The kids had put a bunch of magnets on the front. Needless to say, Windows would no longer boot.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-08-13, 6:56 AM #28
try putting a computer inside an MRI machine. Think that would cause HD corruption? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-08-13, 7:37 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
try putting a computer inside an MRI machine. Think that would cause HD corruption? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

No, it would crush the thing [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-08-13, 3:52 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:

</font>

Bah, if I had an MRI machine I would just steal the liquid helium cooling system out of it. Can you say overclocking?

------------------
Four dimensions, four fundamental forces... coincidence?
Stuff

↑ Up to the top!