Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → grammer question
grammer question
2004-08-13, 9:54 PM #1
*do not copy this post and correct all of it's spelling*

ok, if you are talking and saying a price of something you quote it as "twenty-seven dollars" but when you type it out it goes "$27".

why is it typed/written backwards but still read twenty-seven dollars? Shouldnt it be read, dollars twenty-seven?

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.

[This message has been edited by Elana14 (edited August 14, 2004).]
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-08-13, 10:16 PM #2
Now you know why people invented plastic bags.

Go put one over your head and inhale deeply.

... Trust me.
2004-08-13, 10:29 PM #3
i dunno. it just is.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels

[This message has been edited by Cazor (edited August 14, 2004).]
2004-08-13, 10:31 PM #4
[err...]

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels

[This message has been edited by Cazor (edited August 14, 2004).]
2004-08-13, 10:32 PM #5
"I have dollars three yet this item here I wish to purchase costs dollars seven. Can you loan me dollars four?"
Read that out loud and you'll hear why we do not say it like that.

Some actually do write as 27$. I've seen oSiRiS do it. Some currencies do put the currency symbol after amount.

13F (Franc)
5DM (Deutschmark)

Albeit those are now defunct currencies replaced by €. I do not know if it is €10 or 10€. Oh and it's grammar [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-13, 10:37 PM #6
It is €5.

I imagine it is because when you read a price, the currency is the most important thing, so that's the thing you should read first.
If a thing costs £50 or $50, the first thing costs a lot more.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-08-13, 11:55 PM #7
Because money would sound too silly if we did it that way.

"...but first you must loan to me those dollars three."

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-14, 12:31 AM #8
It's correct grammar to say the number first. You wouldn't say "I have cats three" or "I just ate oranges ten".

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
-----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-08-14, 1:23 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
"...but first you must loan to me those dollars three."</font>
Ere the other side, he see?

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-08-14, 4:10 AM #10
maybe we should just call them flopples!

------------------

~~Because Eric does Rock Your World~~
░▒▓█▓▒░?░▒▓█▓▒░

↑ Up to the top!