Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Steam problem
Steam problem
2004-08-13, 7:00 AM #1
It won't connect to games or the friends server. I'm on an Internet connection sharing setup, UT2k4 works.
HL WON used to work (dunno anymore since it shut down) Its getting really annoying since I want to play.

Perhaps its got to do with Port forwarding? And if so, how do I do that on an ICS since its not using a router?

------------------
"Judging by the name of the author, and the name of the work, I'd guess it's an energy "beam". You know, like in the Japanese cartoons where those guys with big hair fly around, talk philosophy, and shoot fireballs at each other." - Hellequin
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-08-13, 8:19 AM #2
Get used to "Friends" not connecting... it almost never does for me.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-13, 5:14 PM #3
....okay, thanks. But that didn't really help me with my problem.

How do I connect to games? do I have to forward ports on my host computer?

------------------
"Judging by the name of the author, and the name of the work, I'd guess it's an energy "beam". You know, like in the Japanese cartoons where those guys with big hair fly around, talk philosophy, and shoot fireballs at each other." - Hellequin
2004-08-13, 5:23 PM #4
okay heres the deal

router: if you're hosting a game, open ports, if not, w/e.

did you try steampowered.com/forums and stuff yet? That helps me.

------------------
Why Did the Chicken Cross The Road?

>>The Bible's Answer:
And God came down from the heavens, and He said unto the chicken, "Thou shalt cross the road." And the chicken crossed the road, and there was much rejoicing.
I need a signature SO amazing, and SO funny, that when you read it, you say, "Hey, that's pretty funny."
2004-08-13, 6:09 PM #5
Load up the game, search for servers, connect. Try no specifications first. Refresh the list, etc. Friends...almost never works.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-13, 7:23 PM #6
I'm not on a router. I'm on an ICS

I.E One computer is connected to the internet, and I'm using that to connect to the net.

Any ideas?

------------------
2004-08-13, 7:42 PM #7
That is a router. The computer doing the ICS is a router.

You probably won't have to open any ports, unless you need to accept new incoming connections (a server would need this).

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)

B'tduz: A popular dwarfish game which consists of standing a few feet apart and throwing large rocks at one another's head.

"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!" - His Grace His Excellency the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.

Morituri Nolumus Mori
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-08-13, 7:54 PM #8
Well, you see, a month ago or so. I could send files via AIM, direct connections, do other stuff.

Now all I can do is access email, play UT2k4 / JA. AIM filetransfers don't work, steam doesn't work, Allegiance doesn't work. Sounds to me like some ports are closed.

------------------
2004-08-14, 8:20 AM #9
*bumpz0r*

------------------
2004-08-14, 8:26 AM #10
Yes, that is most definitly a closed-ports problem. Are you under Win98?

↑ Up to the top!