Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My take on doom 3... Hmmm.. Yummy..
My take on doom 3... Hmmm.. Yummy..
2004-08-13, 6:13 AM #1
Well, I ended up getting a 256 and a 512 ram to get it to run right and smooth.. The object of the game is to run it at a dark atmosphere right? Gets kinda... you know.. repetative.. Smooth and very freaking state of the art graphics.. I mean I drool cuz its so sexy.. I would write a more in depth reveiw... But my girlfriend is sleeping.. Dont wanna wake her.. I will carry on this reveiw later however :P..

------------------
-- [url="mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com"]mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com[/url]Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com</A>--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
-- Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
2004-08-13, 6:21 AM #2
Just wait till you get to Hell...you'll need a towel to wipe up all the drool. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
2004-08-13, 6:22 AM #3
Umm...yay?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-13, 9:27 AM #4
Unfortunately, I cannot try it, as I'm waiting for the Radeon X800... Then it will go nicely with my Athlon64... But right now, I'm stuck with a measly Radeon 7000.

------------------
"I know there's got to be some sort of mathematical equation for this sort of thing, but I prefer trial and error. It's one of the advantages of having a socialized health care system."
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-08-13, 9:31 AM #5
I have a Radeon 7000 in my desk drawer at the moment. I'm tempted to smash it.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-08-13, 9:32 AM #6
so far i like the MacHall rant on it the best

------------------
What happens when you cast heal on the undead?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-08-13, 9:32 AM #7
lol hi fett

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-08-13, 9:34 AM #8
sup

EDIT: 27th POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11woot

------------------
Moo.

[This message has been edited by FeTT (edited August 13, 2004).]
Moo.
2004-08-13, 9:34 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FeTT:
I have a Radeon 7000 in my desk drawer at the moment. I'm tempted to smash it.</font>

Sell it on Ebay! You'll at least be able to get some $10 out of it... 'cuz you'll be needing quite a lot for the (take your pick) 6800 or X800...

------------------
"I know there's got to be some sort of mathematical equation for this sort of thing, but I prefer trial and error. It's one of the advantages of having a socialized health care system."
2004-08-13, 9:35 AM #10
I also have a Voodoo 4 in my closet. I'm sure that's BIG DOLLA.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-08-13, 10:08 AM #11
Yeah, I have a Voodoo 3 laying around. That thing is the most reliable card I've ever owned... great for checking for fried video cards.
2004-08-13, 10:24 AM #12
Quote:
I also have a Voodoo 4 in my closet. I'm sure that's BIG DOLLA.</font>

Unfortunately, it seems that $8.50 is the highest they're biting for it...

http://search.ebay.com/3dfx-voodoo-4_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8

------------------
2004-08-13, 10:38 AM #13
Quote:
I have a Radeon 7000 in my desk drawer at the moment. I'm tempted to smash it.

</font>

no, send itr to me. I could find use for an old card.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-13, 6:07 PM #14
Anywho... after.. uh... after 3 great days with the girlfriend.. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] MWHAHAHAHAHA... Yeah... Man... Enough of that mushy love stuff...

So uh radeons eh? They suck.. I personally go with nividia... Here is my system specs..

128+256+512 ram, 2.5 amd processor, So its 1 gig ram, and 1.84 ghz.. It runs smooth on high setting.. So smooth I can eat off of it! I run a geforce4 mxsi, 64 mb gfx card. Before I couldnt get things to run right. Then I noticed.. Hmm.. Maybe I gotta update the vid card and direct x.. because they came out with uh, dx 9.0c.. So I would suggest upgrading it even thou you know..

I mean before hand doom 3 ran, but not as smooth as I liked it too.. So I had to get me new ram.. a 512 and 256? or a 128? I dunno wtf im smoking.. Anyway.. Its not as choopy before, so system settings suggested are.. MEMORY mainly.. Least 1 gig ram, or a high end processor.. Note its best to have it all up to date software for your vid card and dx hardware.. Then nothing will go wrong!

Sound/Music:
Drools... Heavy metal meets some smyphonic moments.. I mean, prince of persia:sands of time was sweet having rock in it.. As how effective mgs series is with music.. I mean, sound/music definatly fits the mood for doom 3! 4.5/5

Gameplay:
Old skool gameplay, I mean.. Ive seen most of this scripting before, Remember sin? or deus ex? Basically what im getting at is the use of a point and click action console use. Still some old skool gameplay, but hey atleast its no more friggen space bar use right? And some of the gun fighting style reminds me of.. quake as it was said before.. Plus the graphics.. I mean wow! Just.. My only gripe is its too dark.. I mean damn.. Your shooting somewhere one secound, and a zombie dude is behind ya nawling away at your neck..

"Thinks to self.. Well.. I have a title vampire boy.. Good times kori.. Man I sure added your interveiw to be intresting.. hickeys.. :P.." Trust me, Girlfriends dont like em.. On non visable spots sure they love em.. Just ya dont give her a hickey on the neck. my hockey is the size of my fist.. she got her revenge.. sweet sweet revenge..

Anyway back to the review.. So yeah gameplay? Too repetative.. I mean dark ambiant atmoshpere.. Atleast in half-life you could see dark areas.. 4/5

Graphics:
Mmmmmmmm.... What you would expect in cgi movies.. Seriously.. Every cutscene.. Is real.. State of the art man! 5/5

Story:
Meh... Repeat, could of had more thought put into it.. I mean feels like a re-run.. Played doom2/1.. Same old same old.. I mean its a no brainer plot.. If you wanna blow sh*t up.. This is the game for you! hence why I got it :P. 3/5

Conclusion:
Rent or buy? Well.. It does add certin elements of puzzles.. So not all of it is blowing stuff up.. a fair deal yes, I mean the environment is really interactive.. Im just out of it.. Havent slept much with the girlfriend sleeping over.. you know how that is.. so umm yeah.. As I said point and click, Something very usefull for once.. So its still old skool basics of gameplay, but you know what.. I would say buy, I mean.. WOW.. This would beat the shins off of half life 2.. minus the scripting factor.. Plus it has its own built in editor.. Which needs a few kinks but meh.. And Raident is making a doom editor.. So there will be good times for sure :P..

Final Score: 4.5/5

Meh a amature reveiw, so please no nocking off my attempt at it.. Leave aside recorrection of grammer use too.. I just ramble on.. Add to your veiws of doom 3, agree to disagree..

------------------
-- [url="mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com"]mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com[/url]Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com</A>--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
-- Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
2004-08-13, 6:14 PM #15
running high on a GF4MX? i will challenge this statement...

and even if it's a GF4Ti i still wish to challenge because of the 64MB...

anyway no matter what you are missing some of the nice effects.. like heathaze and the window effect

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-14, 10:06 AM #16
You have NO idea what you're talking about hardware wise. You don't need to buy 768 MB of ram to make what is it, 896 with your 128? That's just ludicrously stupid. It's your crappy video card, from GF4MX to GF FX. If you're going to go with second-gen cards, Radeons are second to none (and no I'm not being a fanboy).

The review isn't all that helpful either, though you admitted yourself it's not a professional one, so I won't criticize you there. Yeah, I'm going to go bash my head against the wall repeatedly while trying to decipher your grammar.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-14, 10:45 AM #17
SilentSavur, since when did you not make sense? You, at one point, had readable posts. Have you suddenly been hit with a stupid stick over and over again!? I WANT THE OLD SAVUR BACK, NOW!

Yeah, Dj speaks much truth.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!