Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PC Upgrades
PC Upgrades
2004-08-13, 9:07 PM #1
Well okay, I've got 70$ burning a hole in my pocket, Next thursday there shall be 90$, well, I was thinking, I don't have anything i really need to spend it on, excpet well, -- my computer! So I was thinking, well things I am going to get for sure: new Modem (yes I know they're dirt cheap, any of them you guys recommend?), and well, I dont know if I should get a new graphics card or more RAM?
System specs:

256DDR RAM
64MB GeForce 2 MX
1.4 GHZ
PCTEL Platinum V.90 Modem (crap!)
blahblah, so any recommendations for what I should get? Thanks!

------------------
Uruk Hai 1: *sniffs*
Uruk Hai 2: What do you smell!?
Uruk Hai 1: MANFLESH!
Proud Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-08-13, 9:16 PM #2
Personally, I think you should upgrade your RAM to at least 512 MB. It made a big difference for my comp. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
deviantART gallery.
2004-08-13, 9:36 PM #3
RAM and a new video card will make all the difference in the world

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-14, 8:22 AM #4
Diamond Supra Max 56K.

Its a great modem, I'd still be using it... but mine blew up due to a storm [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

If you want uberhighquallity.
U.S Robotics 56k performance pro modem.

It r0x0rs. Atleast from what I remmber, it better. It did cost me $80

------------------
"Judging by the name of the author, and the name of the work, I'd guess it's an energy "beam". You know, like in the Japanese cartoons where those guys with big hair fly around, talk philosophy, and shoot fireballs at each other." - Hellequin

[This message has been edited by Oberfeldwebell (edited August 14, 2004).]
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-08-14, 8:38 AM #5
You definatly need a new graphics card. GeForce 2's are old.. and MX's are the bottom of the Geforce range. More ram would also help. $90 isn't much though.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
-----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-08-14, 9:40 AM #6
Get a stick of 256, or two if you need to. RAM before video card.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-14, 10:22 AM #7
You can get a Geforce FX 5700 for $99, which is going to be a big step up from your current card. Make sure that you have an AGP slot though.

You might not be able to play games with the maximum texture settings (due to your lack of Ram) but the tremendous FPS gain of the above card is going to improve your gaming experience tremendously.

2004-08-14, 10:24 AM #8
Eh...not worth it. The 5700's becoming dated fast. Upgrade your RAM, worry about a video card when the current generation drops into the 200 dollar range.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-14, 1:13 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Eh...not worth it. The 5700's becoming dated fast. Upgrade your RAM, worry about a video card when the current generation drops into the 200 dollar range.
</font>

That really depends on how much he's willing to spend on his machine in the future.
2004-08-14, 1:52 PM #10
Dude dont listen to them with the video card... Your card is just the same as mine.. If needs be, and your having graphic errors, goto nivida.com and download the latest software driver, then proceed to microsoft.com/directx to update 9.0b to 9.0c.. And I would say ram, I spent 166 on a 512.. RIPOFF... and 112? on a 256 chip.. CDN currency.. So yeah however ram helps.. Especailly if I want doom 3 to run smooth as silk!

------------------
-- [url="mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com"]mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com[/url]Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com</A>--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
-- Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
2004-08-14, 1:54 PM #11
Sorry, there is no way doom3 will run on a Geforce 2 MX.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
-----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-08-14, 2:27 PM #12
uhhh sorry Geforce 4 I ment :P

------------------
-- [url="mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com"]mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com[/url]Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com</A>--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
-- Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
2004-08-14, 2:50 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SilentSavur:
uhhh sorry Geforce 4 I ment :P
</font>

You said you had the same card as him (a Geforce 2 MX) and now you're talking about a Geforce 4? There is a huge difference.

On the topic of Doom 3, I doubt the game will be playable on his current machine with such a horrible graphics card and more Ram isn't going to change that by itself.
2004-08-14, 3:41 PM #14
SilentSavur has no idea what he's talking about, don't listen to him.

256 is like...30 bucks American. Seriously. It's cheap.

And Knobz, he'll notice the performance difference just in running WINDOWS. That's why I say go with the RAM. Once you hit 512, windows runs sweeeeet.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited August 14, 2004).]
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!