Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Myst 4
Myst 4
2004-08-13, 2:34 PM #1
http://www.mystrevelation.com/

It looks so freakin cool!

Now I still need to beat Myst 3, which I need to reinstall and start over [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] and actually beat it. I beat Myst, I never played Myst 2, because I never knew it existed until I saw Myst 3.....But Myst 4 looks amazing. I'm downloading the demo as we speak.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º< ) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º< )

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited August 13, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-13, 2:40 PM #2
What was Uru? Myst 3.5 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]?

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-08-13, 2:41 PM #3
i downloaded the demo... ran it for a few minutes then uninstalled it because i remembered why i never really got into the myst series... i always spent more time just looking at it than playing so i never got anywhere

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-13, 2:45 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by saberopus:
What was Uru? Myst 3.5 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]?

</font>

uru was "ages beyond myst" so we can call it a spin-off

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-13, 4:44 PM #5
You can't blow people up in Myst.
2004-08-13, 4:46 PM #6
you don't need to... but just imagine how pretty the blowing up of a person would be in a myst game... especially uru... since it's fully 3D and all... and damn pretty

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-13, 5:12 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
You can't blow people up in Myst.</font>

Yeah, they DO make games where blowing things up isn't the objective. You should try one some time.

I haven't played a Myst game in YEARS. I don't think I ever beat the first one.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-13, 5:14 PM #8
Myst 4 seems alot more 'compressed' then Myst 3, as in it doesn't look as nice whe you look around, it only looks nice RIGHT infront of you, but thats because there is alot of in-game videos going on and a bunch of new stuff you can do. But it's still damn sexy, and this demo is hard [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
2004-08-13, 6:21 PM #9
i just started mist 3... i picked it up at big lots for 6$, good deal i must say

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-08-13, 6:24 PM #10
I payed 50 bucks for it on release, then a few weeks later all three were on sale for 40 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

I still pre-ordered Myst 4 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Silly me.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º< ) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º< )

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited August 13, 2004).]
2004-08-14, 9:49 AM #11
Anyone else?

------------------
2004-08-14, 11:14 AM #12
Ok, to risk being a bigger geek than I already am...

I was at Mysterium this year, and there was an official Myst 4 presentation by Ubi. Basically their lead artist, their lead writer, and their director came and showed us a bunch of beta builds of the game along with a bunch of self made videos (al la making of myst) of them working on the game, the entire presentation took a little over four hours.

The game shows allot of promise, and the demo really does not accurately represent allot of the beautiful artisanship that has gone into the game. I have my reservations on the story and some of the puzzles but it still looks good.

------------------
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either

2004-08-14, 12:31 PM #13
RiVeN > All Other Myst Games

------------------
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-08-14, 1:10 PM #14
I really need to play Rivin. It looks amazing and I hear it is he best of the series. The thing about Myst 3 was that since it's fully 3d, it needed to be compressed a bit, which made it look not as sharp. I can't really explain it, but even though Myst 4 has the best looks of them all, it also looks the worst. it has in game video and fully 3d view so everything looks like one big JPEG compressed file from far away. With Myst and Rivin it was just really awesome 3d images and then you clicked either up down left or right. With the new ones you can look anywhere, so it just looks...worse but also better. Yeah I know I just confused all of you..but uhh it's hard to explain.

------------------
2004-08-14, 8:17 PM #15
RIVIN OWNED. first one i played, most enjoyable, "best" story, most immersive gameplay, most well thought out maps/areas, just... GOOD. the puzzles were immersed into the storyline, it wasn't just like 'figure out how to raise these steps so you can proceed to the next age!'.

GET IT. it's cheap, it's awesome, you'll enjoy it SAJN.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-08-14, 9:29 PM #16
i know i just started # 3, but just walking around the sanario is weird. it obscures your view almost every step I take, and it seems un-real when it turn around, it makes me forget which direction i came from.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-08-15, 3:09 AM #17
Riven ***** me, my entire 8th grade summer. im gonna go play it again.

------------------

~~Because Eric does Rock Your World~~
░▒▓█▓▒░?░▒▓█▓▒░
2004-08-15, 8:06 AM #18
Do not judge Myst games by Myst 3: Exile. Myst 3 was made by a different company than the first two (then again, so is Myst 4), and really does not represent the first two games. Riven it by and far, the best puzzle/adventure game on the face of the earth, and there should be a public charity to give out copies to the less fortunate who have not yet had the chance to play it.

------------------

2004-08-15, 8:06 AM #19
Eek, now I need to go buy it even more.

Some people are saying Myst 4 will be the best Myst yet, lets wait and see.

------------------
2004-08-15, 9:04 AM #20
Imloved the Myst Seris, but my Dad is like..super-myst-fan, so he will be getting for shortly after its relese.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-08-15, 9:14 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Do not judge Myst games by Myst 3: Exile. Myst 3 was made by a different company than the first two (then again, so is Myst 4), and really does not represent the first two games. </font>

Right but Myst 3 keeps the same story as the other myst games and they improved on the graphics and the way the game is played big time. Full 3d view <3.

The funny thing is once you beat Myst you can beat it again in 5 mins, seriously. If you know what to do its the shortest game ever made [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]. But the first time around it takes hours, I find that very funny [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-08-15, 9:14 AM #22
Now, I don't know how legal abandonware is, so I don't know if this is ok to ask, but is the original Myst old enough to legally download? If so, what about Myst 2?

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-15, 9:29 AM #23
I don't think any of the Myst games are abandoned ware. http://www.cyanworlds.com is still in buissness, they just released Uru, and Real Myst a while ago.

------------------
2004-08-15, 11:05 AM #24
Ummm... No... Myst is far from abandonware, they just released a 10 year anniversary set that includes the original Myst a few months ago. Actually for all you people who have not played the original or Riven, you might want to take a look, its a great value for the money.

Myst 10th Anniversary DVD Edition

As for Myst 3, I actually dont think that the graphics were in anyway better than Riven’s, yes they were 3d spheres, but overall I feel they were inferior both in quality and in content to Rivens Still frames.

------------------

2004-08-15, 11:24 AM #25
I can't connect to their site...

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo

↑ Up to the top!