Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → AvP: The Verdict
AvP: The Verdict
2004-08-13, 7:46 PM #1
Well, since it's about 12:30 now, I'm going to make this short.

First half: Pretty cool, not anything amazing, but about what I expected

Second half: What the **** were they thinking?!

So in conclusion, wait 'till the DVD comes out, watch the first half, and then pretend everyone dies or something, because the rest of the movie is pretty much crap.

------------------
Some of you should learn to think a bit and discover - *gasp* - that someone can dislike Michael Moore, Kerry, and Bush!
-Wolfy
2004-08-13, 7:57 PM #2
I've heard the first half is just talking, and the second half is where things happen.

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-08-13, 7:58 PM #3
Dont spoil anything, but is there a decisive winner at the end? Alien or Predator? Or is it one of those "Oh the earth blows up... so nobody looses... and nobodies feelings are hurt... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]" kind of endings?

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-13, 8:00 PM #4
Doesnt the trailer kinda give away the ending bigtime?

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-08-13, 8:03 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
Dont spoil anything, but is there a decisive winner at the end? Alien or Predator? Or is it one of those "Oh the earth blows up... so nobody looses... and nobodies feelings are hurt... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]" kind of endings?</font>

Not sure how to answer this without spoiling it completely. The ending is very much in line with Alien movies.
2004-08-13, 8:05 PM #6
!!POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!

Well, I guess since only one person/thing survives, they win by default.They also leave it open for a sequel in the end (think Predator+facehugger). And actually, about the first 15-20 minutes is talking. Then there's about half an hour of good action, then it pretty much falls apart. Anyway, at this point I'm operating entirely on caffeine, so I'm going to bed.

Edit: And the huge explosion in the trailer? It's taken WAAAY out of context.
------------------
Some of you should learn to think a bit and discover - *gasp* - that someone can dislike Michael Moore, Kerry, and Bush!
-Wolfy

[This message has been edited by JediHunter_X (edited August 13, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by JediHunter_X (edited August 13, 2004).]
2004-08-13, 8:11 PM #7
So... worth the $8, not worth it?

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-13, 8:18 PM #8
I haven't seen it yet, but Rottentomatoes is giving it low reviews, although their system is not perfect by design.

the movie should have been allowed an R rating, everything has been censored and gutted to the point that it lacks the scare factor of the original aliens movies. Blame it on the MPAA / studio for forcing a PG rating according to a review i read at R.T.

The sole purpose of the movie is to cash in on both tired franchises. These days, movies are no longer art, its all about the money.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-13, 8:20 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Overlord:
Doesnt the trailer kinda give away the ending bigtime?

</font>

nope.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-08-13, 8:20 PM #10
Somehow I thought this was a thread about the AvP games. :\

------------------
Friends is over. Kill yourself.

[This message has been edited by Valandil (edited August 13, 2004).]
Friends is over. Kill yourself.
2004-08-13, 8:22 PM #11
It's more of a comedy than it is an action film.

At the end, she should have kiss him...teehee...I was waiting for it!

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-08-13, 9:22 PM #12
Ah heck, I love anything AvP so I'll go see it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
deviantART gallery.
2004-08-14, 6:17 AM #13
Alright, I'll admit I was being a little harsh, but quite honestly I was dissapointed. The trailers made it out to be something more epic, and instead you get sort of a weird comedy/pseudo-romance thing. Plus, the dialogue seemed a little rough, like they just took the first script they could get their hands on, and then started shooting. So in the end, unless you're a diehard Alien/Predator fan, you probably want to skip this one over, or at least wait for the DVD and rent it.

------------------
-Wolfy

[This message has been edited by JediHunter_X (edited August 14, 2004).]
2004-08-14, 6:38 AM #14
Spoilers:

The whole "no matter who wins, we lose" part of the trailer was a load of crap. I was expecting like half the world to blow up at least. Instead, the chick that survives is the only human left that actually knows what happened. Everyone else went on like a normal day. I was looking forward to the king of the mountain/pyramid part that you see in the trailer. Too bad that what you see in the trailer is all you see in the movie. Pretty much it's the last 45 minutes of the movie that everything happens in.
And just for the sake of mentioning it, it did get a PG-13 rating, but there's really no reason they couldn't have bumped it up to R and made it better. At least /show/ the humans get their *** kicked instead of just showing them get taken off the ground and all you hear is screaming.

------------------
"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me amoung Thy saints." - Il Duce, The Boondock Saints
2004-08-14, 8:01 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by R_ivi_N:
At the end, she should have kiss him...teehee...I was waiting for it!</font>

Good. I wasn't the only one who thought that.

**SPOILERS**

When Bishop left the two people in the sacrificial chamber and told everyone else to come with him, was I the only one who thought, "Spock, McCoy, you're with me,"?

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-14, 8:37 AM #16
Well one things for certain, it can't be as bad as that Yugi Oh movie. I think it has like a 0 at Rotten tomatoes.
2004-08-14, 9:32 AM #17
It did NOT live up to the hype, but for the most part was entertaining. Yeah.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-14, 2:04 PM #18
I must have missed the hype. Other than normal advertising who was hyping this movie? I want to see the film but I'm considering just waiting until the DVD is released since it's probably something I will buy anyway.

I'm not a huge Alien fan but more so a Predator fan. Alien Vs Predator is really a Predator franchise anyway in the sense that Predators seed worlds with Aliens simply to hunt them. I don't know if this movie portrays that or not.

I can understand Alien fanboys not liking the AvP franchise much since it basically shows Aliens simply as fodder for Predators. Oh well, 20th Century Fox signed off on the idea.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-08-14, 3:21 PM #19
You guys got your hopes up, much like my friend. I went in thinking the movie was going to be crap, (since it was Resident Evil's director and I thought that was crap)

I came out better off. Got a 4 out of 5 for suprising me.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-08-14, 3:21 PM #20
Every geek on the planet. And dude, SPOILER warnings. I've already seen the movie, but some people who read this thread haven't, and you gave a MAJOR spoiler for the movie.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-15, 5:43 AM #21
I thought it was great. I went in expecting a poor plot, horrible acting, and awesome action. The action was a little better than I thought it would be. The plot was a lot better than I thought it would, and the lead woman did a decent job acting.

[Spoilers]

The ending works perfect as a prequal to both Alien and Predator. In Alien, the ship they find is the Predator's. In Predator, the reason they start hunting humans is because they now realize they can be good opponents.

[/spoilers]

I saw the movie with a horrible audience though. Right behind my group, was a baby that cried the whole movie (except for when the dad was force feeding and and saying "shh! shh! shut up!"), our seats kept getting kicked, and the woman next to me was a living stereotype ("watch yo back gurl!" "ooooh, I wouldn'ta done dat!" "*cellphone rings* heeey, whatcha doin' guuurl?"). I swear, it's a damn good thing things were dying on screen...

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-15, 6:18 AM #22
Who in the flaming depths of hell would take their baby to see this movie? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
deviantART gallery.
2004-08-15, 7:22 AM #23
It's good to desensitize children at a young age.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-08-15, 7:26 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Every geek on the planet. And dude, SPOILER warnings. I've already seen the movie, but some people who read this thread haven't, and you gave a MAJOR spoiler for the movie.</font>

I guess that was for me, noticed the same time for the two posts following mine. I haven't seen the film either and have absolutely no idea how I gave a MAJOR spoiler for the film since all I know of it is from this thread.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...

2004-08-15, 8:21 AM #25
***SPOLIERS***

I thought maybe she would kiss him, then he'd bite her face off and take her skull as a trophy.

But really, the movie was pretty good overall, the "alliance" thing wasn't the problem so much as was how "close" they got. They should have cooperated for a short time then parted ways quickly.

I don't think they could've picked a worse era than present to do AvP. I would much rather have seen it in the future when it was an actual war not some little skirmish of a hunt. Something more like the video games would have been far better.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-15, 8:37 AM #26
It was the best comedy this summer.

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-08-15, 3:00 PM #27
Lets just say it's the only movie I've ever seen that leaves itself open for not one, not two, but THREE sequals!

!!!SPOILERS!!!

The three being the Alien Queen spawning more aliens (Come on. You think some cold water is going to kill the alien queen? Ressurection already established that Aliens could swim), the Predalien, and what'shername getting home. Think about it. There she is in the middle of Antartica, with no boat, no plane, no little dunebuggy to get back home. How does she do it??

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-08-15, 3:01 PM #28
There were the bulldozers, and the boat is still waiting...

------------------
2004-08-15, 3:17 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by happydud:
!!!SPOILERS!!!

The three being the Alien Queen spawning more aliens (Come on. You think some cold water is going to kill the alien queen? Ressurection already established that Aliens could swim), the Predalien, and what'shername getting home. Think about it. There she is in the middle of Antartica, with no boat, no plane, no little dunebuggy to get back home. How does she do it??

</font>

of course, spoilers:

1) The Queen didn't just fall into the water. She was tied down. We have no idea how long they can survive under water. If she doesn't drown, she'll still freeze before she gets out.

2) As I am told, the Predator's ship is the ship they find in Alien. That pretty much tells you what happened with the Predalien. Though I guess they could do a movie based on the ship getting taken over by Aliens. I think it's better that they only allude to it though.

3) Emon got it.

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-15, 3:41 PM #30
One predalien took out an entire ship of predators?? That seems...unlikely. It must mean that predaliens are much, much more powerful than regular aliens. I mean, I knew they were, but I mean they'd have to be REALLY something to take out that many predators.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!