Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Interesting Home Remedies
Interesting Home Remedies
2004-08-15, 2:49 PM #1
I thought this article was quite intriguing.

http://www.impactlab.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3839

------------------
Four dimensions, four fundamental forces... coincidence?
Stuff
2004-08-15, 3:11 PM #2
It seems to be a compilation. Some tips sound very useful, some are just...way out there. Honey as an antiseptic? Honey is like a petri dish!

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-15, 3:23 PM #3
some of those are great.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-08-15, 4:06 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
It seems to be a compilation. Some tips sound very useful, some are just...way out there. Honey as an antiseptic? Honey is like a petri dish!

</font>

Only certain types of honey (Manuka mainly) tend to have antibacterial properties, however the results from actual research (and not anecdotes) are still preliminary.

See here

If anyone wants more info, go to Pubmed and use the search criteria: honey antibacterial

edit: it helps if one puts the links in properly [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
------------------
Run: forgetting passwords on a regular basis.

[This message has been edited by Fade (edited August 15, 2004).]
Run: forgetting passwords on a regular basis.
2004-08-15, 4:10 PM #5
Reminds me of some home remades (sp) around here. I've heard that vinger and honey for a sore throat before, that actually works. You can also put a mixture of meat tenderizer and water (mixed so its like a paste) on a bee/wasp/yellow jacket sting right after they stung you and it will take all the pain out. Only works right after you get stung though. I swear by that, I use it all the time. Tobacco works the same way, too.
2004-08-15, 4:16 PM #6
Soar Throat + brandy = better

Thank you dad!

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-15, 4:27 PM #7
A friend of mine grew up with her parents swearing by Tabasco sauce as the cure for /anything/ , be it sore throat, cold, flu..

For sore throats i tend to just mix some lemon juice and salt with warm water and gargle it.

Earaches, boiled down some cloves, then swab with the essential extract. It's an anaesthetic and anitmicrobial.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"That's why we had to beat you with tennis rackets".
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-08-15, 4:30 PM #8
I've heard of most of those before and used a few myself. Most of them make sense.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-15, 4:32 PM #9
The gatorade/headache thing works. It helps alot if you are dehydrated, but I had it once after an operation and it killed my headache.
2004-08-15, 4:33 PM #10
Gatorade cures headaches only if they're caused by dehydration or lack of eating.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-15, 8:47 PM #11
I thought this thread was going to be about Martha Stewart. Just as well...maybe I'll try some of them re-maw-dees.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-15, 8:49 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
Gatorade cures headaches only if they're caused by dehydration or lack of eating.

</font>

He speaks the truth.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-15, 8:53 PM #13
Mix tapeworm eggs with cocaine for a quick and easy weight-loss technique!

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-08-15, 9:11 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stat:
Mix tapeworm eggs with cocaine for a quick and easy weight-loss technique!

</font>

Pfft, my Dad showed me how to do that when I was 3. Old news.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-15, 11:22 PM #15
If you start to feel a soar throat coming on, gargle with salty water. You want it fairly salty.. enough so that it tastes bad [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

It really does work. I had a soar throat coming on a few days back, started gargling as soon as I realised it, gargled twice a day or so, and its gone. It was never really there either because I stomped on it very quickly.

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)

B'tduz: A popular dwarfish game which consists of standing a few feet apart and throwing large rocks at one another's head.

"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!" - His Grace His Excellency the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.

Morituri Nolumus Mori
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-08-16, 12:43 AM #16
You could always let the pain run it's course, saving $$$ in everything!

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.

↑ Up to the top!