Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Oh no, it's the robots!
Oh no, it's the robots!
2004-08-12, 12:40 PM #41
Screw it. Nanotech is going to make "robots", as we know them, obsolete. You can't argue with exponential manufacturing!

Really, why would you tell your robot servant to make you breakfast when you could just tell the nanobots embedded in your kitchen table to generate a breakfast for you. You know, kind of like replicators off of Star Trek.

Sure, nanotechnology has certain dangers/problems too, but I'm sure we can find ways around them.

------------------
Four dimensions, four fundamental forces... coincidence?
Stuff
2004-08-12, 12:50 PM #42
If we are no more than the recorded information and the interactive abilities in our heads, we are nothing but advanced robots our selves.
2004-08-12, 12:51 PM #43
Yes, that was my point.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-12, 1:32 PM #44
On another note, to those who might have been wondering, neural networks are not a big mystery in the game industry.

One article written by Andre Lamothe concerning games and neural nets: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article771.asp

Three more article links including the one above: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=18#65

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-08-12, 2:48 PM #45
In the entire world, the best country with robotics is Japan.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">AI always has and always will be a computer program. It's never going to turn into something 'magical'.</font>

Oh really....

[This message has been edited by Cloud (edited August 12, 2004).]
2004-08-12, 2:57 PM #46
I think your assessment of the economics involved is a little off. Sure, perhaps that job as a cashier is taken by a robot, and someone loses their job. But 3 more just opened up for designing, engineering, and marketing the robot..

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-12, 3:14 PM #47
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
I think your assessment of the economics involved is a little off. Sure, perhaps that job as a cashier is taken by a robot, and someone loses their job. But 3 more just opened up for designing, engineering, and marketing the robot..
</font>

Last I checked, cashiers didn't have the experience or schooling to do any of those three.

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-12, 3:29 PM #48
I think he meant neural nets in games in the future, where they'd be a total senient being (or could be). But almost all of the time AI would be limited anyway, I mean an enemy that you're going to kill in a few seconds doesn't need much of a personality.

Also, take Star Trek for example. Why wouldn't anyone have remorse in deleting a holodeck program? Though as I mentioned, the AIs in there are very simple compared to say, Data. Whenever they walk in with a Starfleet Uniform and start doing really out of place stuff, no one seems to notice.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-13, 3:11 AM #49
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
</font>

Why can't robots do that? Well, there wouldn't be "marketing".

In the end, robots wouldn't be "sold". Why would robots buy robots from robots?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
While I agree with your anger against Luddites, and the obviously stupid choice of casting the main character in I, Robot as a technophobe, I do not agree with some of your other points. First off, your computation that we could all do what we want is flawed. You are not taking into account the many other variables and forces that would influence this kind of outcome. We (americans) currently live in capitalism. The ability to do what we want comes from the ability to procure the resources necessary for what it is we want to do. Since there is already an inequality present, those people who currently lack the resources, will not gain the resources necessary to live such a lifestyle, and will lose the means of procuring the resources once the robots come online..
</font>

There wouldn't be 'money', so there wouldn't be 'capitalism'.

Robots would work in the mines, robots would work in the refineries, robots would work in the factories, and robots would work in the warehouses.
If you want something, you get it.

I suppose this brings up the question of 'greed'. If everyone can have anything, surely everyone would want everything?

Again, perhaps you would, but think about those that would grow up in such an environment.

If they can have what they want when they want it, what exactly is the point of having more than they need?
When you're hungry, you can go to the shops and take some food and eat it. You're no longer hungry. There's no point in taking lots and lots and lots of food. You don't need it. and it's not going to run out.

Yes, if you choose to paint a picture or study science, you might need other materials, but there is no point in having more than you need.

This is probably a very significant point, actually..
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-08-15, 4:07 PM #50
The talk about gaming makes me demand everyone in this thread go watch Avalon. I'm not going to rant and rave about how amazing and deep it may or may not have been. But i really damn well enjoyed it.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"That's why we had to beat you with tennis rackets".
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-08-15, 4:48 PM #51
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
If we are no more than the recorded information and the interactive abilities in our heads, we are nothing but advanced robots our selves.</font>

Precisely. What makes us differ is that we have conscience.

The moment you create true AI, as in, an artificial conscience capable of thinking on it's own, and learning on it's own, then you've created an equal to the human being, who only consists of different materials, and who should have equal rights and opportunities. But knowing humanity all too well, that won't happen without an uprising of somekind. In any case, if that happends while I'm alive, I'm surely taking the robots' side. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

Another interresting point to think about is that, if you can create an artificial brain capable of the same electrical impulses and memory storage, then if we could somehow upload a person's electrical patterns into the machine, we would, in a way, become immortal.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-15, 4:52 PM #52
When I was talking about jobs, I meant in general. Not positions that could be taken by any old schmoe of the street, but at least they're jobs.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-16, 3:06 PM #53
What jobs?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935

↑ Up to the top!