Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → MATLAB or C++?
MATLAB or C++?
2008-12-01, 3:10 PM #1
I have a choice between 2 engineering classes. One uses MATLAB and the other uses C++. Which should I pick for starting a civil engineering major?
2008-12-01, 3:17 PM #2
Probably Matlab, it's very easy to work with datasets in an intuitive way. Though the operations will be considerably slower than C++
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2008-12-01, 3:27 PM #3
Or I could do neither and take a basic "Intro to Programming" class instead.
2008-12-01, 3:31 PM #4
Honestly, if you can program well in one language, you should easily be able to adapt to another. However, I would recommend Matlab since the majority of the mathematics you need will either be available in the base install or one of the toolkits. When I need to do any statistics, estimation, or optimization computations at work, it is a lot easier to whip it up in Matlab with a few lines of code as opposed to writing an algorithm or scouring for the appropriate C/C++ library.

Edit:
Intro to Programming? Are you trying to learn how to program reasonably well or do you just want a little background for your coursework?
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2008-12-01, 3:41 PM #5
I can choose any of the 3 to fill a single lower division requirement for engineering. I just started this major. I'd like whichever one will be the most useful/advantageous as I start to get into more sophisticated engineering classes, which from what you guys are saying, is MATLAB.
2008-12-01, 3:46 PM #6
MATLAB is pretty useful. I would recommend it. I don't know about C++, but MATLAB lets you do just what you want without having to worry about any programming overhead. The help files are also super helpful.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2008-12-01, 5:37 PM #7
I'd say MATLAB too.
nope.
2008-12-01, 5:49 PM #8
You think you can do MATLAB?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-12-01, 10:15 PM #9
MATLAB, even a simple bugger like me learned it in a few weeks. It's great for engineering.
2008-12-01, 10:44 PM #10
MATLAB it is....just registered :neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard:
2008-12-02, 12:03 AM #11
Best of luck!

Oh, and enter "why?" three times.

I can't remember if you need the question mark.
2008-12-03, 11:23 AM #12
It's too bad you didnt go for c++, i am absolutely positive a systems programming language will be more useful to a civil engineer than a programming environment geared towards mathematics.
2008-12-03, 1:03 PM #13
Dunno, I've never felt the need for serious programming skills. If you had the time to devote to it, you might get benefit out of something as serious as C++ but you might as well be a programmer and not an engineer :)
2008-12-03, 11:14 PM #14
Originally posted by Emon:

I don't know why, Emon, but I can't stop listening to this. :huh:
2008-12-03, 11:47 PM #15
I wish I knew more about who that was or why it's so funny
2008-12-04, 12:48 AM #16
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It's too bad you didnt go for c++, i am absolutely positive a systems programming language will be more useful to a civil engineer than a programming environment geared towards mathematics.

Why do you say this? My understanding of MATLAB (disclaimer: I've not actually used it) is that it lets you jump right in at coding your domain model (i.e. simulating whatever you're building). C++ requires you to write the whole damn program, so you need to be not just a civil engineer but a software engineer as well. Why should they care about e.g. allocating memory? (Answer: they shouldn't!)
2008-12-04, 5:37 AM #17
I agree with Giraffe on that, although I've also not used MATLAB.
2008-12-04, 6:13 AM #18
I've used MATLAB quite a bit, and it is the better pick over general C++, it's better suited for it.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-12-04, 8:02 AM #19
when i type in all lowercase im not being sarcastic
2008-12-04, 8:24 AM #20
don't break my brain joncy - it took me three hours to get to work today because of snow :(

(not sarcy)
2008-12-04, 3:12 PM #21
Originally posted by Jon`C:
when i type in all lowercase im not being sarcastic

I still haven't determined if this technique of yours really means you are being sarcastic or a very clever way of backpedaling.
2008-12-04, 7:00 PM #22
I still haven't determined if this technique of yours really means you are being sarcastic or a very clever way of backpedaling.

I think it is pretty safe to say that his posts were blatantly sarcastic.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2008-12-04, 7:31 PM #23
What if that's what he WANTS you to think? :colbert:
2008-12-05, 7:58 AM #24

Well, as someone who knows exactly what C++ is useful for and what engineers do,
2008-12-05, 12:41 PM #25
o well you just know everything dont you
2008-12-05, 4:45 PM #26
C++ is, by far, more useful than MATLAB.

Go with C++

I am sure there will be problems that an entirely new software solution will be needed, or will be easier to work with. Besides, with C++ you are not only limited to Civil Engineering or whatever you are studying, but you are actually removing any boundaries MATLAB would bring.

In my personal opinion, I found MATLAB to be nothing more than a highly advanced, fancy but ugly calculator. Please don't be insulted by this remark, but this was just a first impression after learning how to use to help out a friend who was using it.

The point is, if I had the choice of being able to learn C++ or MATLAB, I'd go with C++. You'll comprehend many years later.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-12-05, 4:49 PM #27
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
C++ is by far, more useful than MATLAB.

Go with C++
yes, listen to this person who knows c++, c++ is an amazing language and suitable for all purposes instead of none which conventional wisdom would otherwise indicate
2008-12-06, 12:39 AM #28
:XD: :XD: :XD:
2008-12-06, 1:57 AM #29
Goldy. Take it from an engineer. The overgrown calculator is VERY USEFUL when what you need is an overgrown calculator.
2008-12-06, 2:05 AM #30
Originally posted by Martyn:
Goldy. Take it from an engineer. The overgrown calculator is VERY USEFUL when what you need is an overgrown calculator.

Yes this is true. But when you need to expand, you'll need a good language. Like C++.

What I don't think has been mentioned here, is that MATLAB isn't that complex... if you pick up C++, you'll have no trouble with MATLAB at all.

Essentially, learning C++ will make MATLAB very easy and quick to pick up.
2008-12-06, 3:34 AM #31
Except learning C++ will take longer and won't necessarily bring any benefits to an engineer. Learning MATLAB will definitely bring benefits.
Flickr Twitter
2008-12-06, 3:49 AM #32
Originally posted by Detty:
Except learning C++ will take longer and won't necessarily bring any benefits to an engineer. Learning MATLAB will definitely bring benefits.

By the time he would have learned MATLAB, he would have already achieve the same amount of knowledge required to use MATLAB and additional knowledge about programming, in C++

C++ will bring him ATLEAST the same amount of benefits as MATLAB and give him the option to expand when neccesary.

However this argument is getting to be pointless. Were arguing over which tool to use to do the same job. I feel that he should learn a tool that has multiple uses in case you need them in the future, and you feel he should learn the tool he is most likely going to use for his entire career.

Its hard to decide, and nobody is wrong here, we just have different opinions. I just wish I could have the choice to study C++ in a school.
2008-12-06, 5:39 AM #33
No, you are wrong.

There are multiple people with degrees in Computer Science and experience with both Matlab and C++ in this very thread who support this conclusion.

The only other language I've used that is even remotely comparable to MATLAB for scientific modeling is Python, but that's primarily because of the quality of its libraries.
Flickr Twitter
2008-12-06, 6:08 AM #34
Gold, he's also doing this for a civil engineering major. At least at my school, C++ isn't even a consideration, because it's not designed for this kind of work. Everyone uses MATLAB, because that's what it's good for. You talk about expansion, and while yes that's true, you can do more with C++, there's no reason to do so. If someone needs software, they go to a programmer, not an engineer.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-12-06, 8:34 AM #35
Yes this is true. But when you need to expand, you'll need a good language. Like C++.

Why would he need to expand? He's a civil engineer. If at some point he needs something else, he'll learn it when the time comes.

Also, C++ is not a "good language." It's antiquated and broken. If he wanted a general purpose programming language, there are many better choices.
2008-12-06, 9:02 AM #36
Don't be so hard on him, at least he isn't recommending Blitz Basic :v:
2008-12-06, 4:19 PM #37
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Don't be so hard on him, at least he isn't recommending Blitz Basic :v:

Blitz Basic is nice for hobbies and learning and perhaps minor utilities. Sort of like the cult of people who still develop stuff for the Commodore 64.
2008-12-06, 5:51 PM #38
Blitz Basic is nice for hobbies and learning and perhaps minor utilities. Sort of like the cult of people who still develop stuff for the Commodore 64.

Or write cog and make JK levels [http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4296/crazyae2.gif]
2008-12-06, 6:09 PM #39

Not really. Commodore 64 programming actually had a use at one point and a gigantic following. And it was free.
2008-12-06, 10:47 PM #40
Well, in defense of blitz basic, I used it a couple time to solve and print math and physics stuff that I had to which would have taken me hours, but it took me about 50 minutes with blitz.

Does that count?

↑ Up to the top!