Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → RAM problem
RAM problem
2008-12-03, 8:29 PM #1
I have an Intel motherboard with 4 PCI slots for RAM.
2 of them have 1GB 667 DDR2 apiece

So I buy this kingston DDR2 2GB (also 667) stick for 29.99 on black friday, put it in one of the 2 empty PCI slots...and my computer runs slower.

4GB of RAM.
Windows 32-bit allows the use of like 3.12GB.
And it runs SLOWER.

Any thoughts?
I just pulled out the new stick after using it for days and my computer is not having these slowdown problems (programs and startup slow to load).

I've never heard of more RAM slowing a computer down.
The only thing I can figure is maybe my motherboard requires those pair-ram things where each slot needs 2 of the same kind?
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-12-03, 8:54 PM #2
if you don't have 2 pairs it can't run in dual channel mode anymore, which makes it slower.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-12-03, 8:54 PM #3
and ram doesn't go in pci slots :P
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-12-03, 8:55 PM #4
whatever the hell they are.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-12-03, 9:20 PM #5
DIMM slots, but yeah you need to run them in pairs.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"

↑ Up to the top!