Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What's the difference between a NAND and a XOR?
What's the difference between a NAND and a XOR?
2008-12-05, 9:21 AM #1
Ok, so I just had a very interesting guest lecture about the use of the Scanning Tunnelling Microscope to form atomic scale logic gates, but there was quite an elementary question that befuddled me and I forgot to ask. I've never done any electronics, so I've never come across this Boolean logic or propositional calculus. But I imagine some of you have (because you're all nerds), so I'll ask you.

The guy posted up this truth table for an AND gate

Code:
       | y = true | y = false
---------------------------
x=true  | TRUE    |  FALSE
x=false | FALSE   |  FALSE

and this for the XOR gate
Code:
       | y = true | y = false
----------------------------
x=true  | FALSE  |  TRUE
x=false | TRUE   |  TRUE

And it's my understanding that you form a NAND (not and) gate by inverting the AND truth table. So wouldn't that make the NAND truth table the same as the XOR truth table? (Changing all the 'TRUE' to 'FALSE'). Are they the same object? I'm presuming they're not, but what is the difference? Is there also a NOXOR (not XOR) gate? Is this different from AND?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2008-12-05, 9:23 AM #2
You've got it wrong.

XOR is only true when one is true and one is false. If both are true or both are false, XOR is false.
2008-12-05, 9:35 AM #3
What Darth said.
2008-12-05, 10:04 AM #4
What Jon`C said.
2008-12-05, 10:59 AM #5
What CoolMatty said.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-12-05, 11:15 AM #6
What NoESC said.
2008-12-05, 11:19 AM #7
C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!