Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong
2008-12-05, 8:46 PM #1
I mean the really really old one that was in arcades.

http://virtualnes.com/play/?id=NIN-D1&s=0

Why is it so hard? =_= maybe I just suck.

Post your scores/how far you get.
[If you hate Mario, try this instead.]

(Alternate thread: that site (virtualnes) is an amazing timewasting/procrastination site. Post links to other classics you remember. Contra.)
一个大西瓜
2008-12-05, 8:51 PM #2
For some reason, it doesn't work for me. None of my controls respond.
2008-12-05, 8:53 PM #3
Did you try clicking on the applet after it loaded? It has to be "focused" for some reason.
一个大西瓜
2008-12-05, 8:57 PM #4
I did that and as well installing the latest version of flash.. works now..Cool! Thanks for posting that site.. I'll have some fun..

you die if you fall from one floor to another >< Lame. you fall just about as far from your jumps lol
2008-12-05, 8:59 PM #5
how the ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff do i play it
2008-12-05, 9:01 PM #6
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
I did that and as well installing the latest version of flash.. works now..Cool! Thanks for posting that site.. I'll have some fun..

you die if you fall from one floor to another >< Lame. you fall just about as far from your jumps lol

Just FYI it's actually a Java applet, not flash <_<

Anyways, my highest score is 35300 and Level 3-1 :( Altho I guess it gets really repetitive so there's not much point in trying to get obscenely high scores unless you're really bored or something.
一个大西瓜
2008-12-05, 9:05 PM #7
That's what I meant :P I clicked the link that was in the box.
2008-12-05, 9:40 PM #8
Why is it playing at double speed.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-12-05, 10:14 PM #9
Originally posted by Pommy:

If I recall, there was another level in the arcade version that involves conveyor belts and concrete.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-05, 10:27 PM #10
omfg i just spent playing tetris 2 for an hour and a half because of that site
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-12-05, 11:04 PM #11
36380 on my first try at tetris.
2008-12-05, 11:10 PM #12
Dude Kirby's Adventure freakin rocks

http://www.virtualnes.com/play/?id=NES-KR&s=13

I remember madly fighting to play the game boy game when I was a kid (we only had one Game Boy and one cartridge so we'd take turns and pass it around... except no one's "I call next" counted for anything so we ended up shoving each other for it and trying to get each other to die in the game)
一个大西瓜
2008-12-06, 12:24 AM #13
Best website EVER!

oh and

http://www.virtualnes.com/play/?id=NES-U2&s=9
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-12-06, 3:01 AM #14
Everyone needs to see this.
2008-12-06, 6:25 AM #15
Every time I play Donkey Kong I forget there's fall damage :(
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-12-06, 7:02 AM #16
Monkeys aren't donkeys! Quit messing with my head!

Also, this is NOT the original arcade version.

There should be 4 levels and there are only 3.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2008-12-06, 8:08 AM #17
Originally posted by SiliconC:
Everyone needs to see this.

Agreed, King of Kong is amazing :D
2008-12-06, 10:31 AM #18
Originally posted by petmc20:
Also, this is NOT the original arcade version.

Not sure if there is a difference.. but it is not suppose to be the arcade version, this is all old NES games
2008-12-06, 11:05 AM #19
http://www.virtualnes.com/play/?id=NES-U2&s=9
http://www.virtualnes.com/play/?id=NES-2N&s=11
God I played those so much when I was a kid.
2008-12-07, 3:26 PM #20
I'm surprised Nintendo isn't doing anything about this site.
2008-12-07, 4:03 PM #21
What the ****? How the hell do I play? It is playing itself and wont let me do anything
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2008-12-07, 4:09 PM #22
(As mentioned already, you have to click inside the program)
2008-12-07, 5:16 PM #23
Originally posted by Cloud:
I'm surprised Nintendo isn't doing anything about this site.

The owners of the site explain/maintain that it's legal on their "Legal" page. Although why Nintendo would care about 20 year-old games that are no longer produced or sold is another question hahah.
一个大西瓜
2008-12-07, 5:18 PM #24
Because they sell the games on Virtual Console?
2008-12-07, 8:14 PM #25
Yeah, the game is still being sold. I doubt the site is fully legal
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-12-07, 8:20 PM #26
Well their excuse is

Quote:
Summary of Legal Policy

The vNES program and the VirtualNES.com services act as an emulator of the Nintendo Entertainment System hardware, designed with the specific purpose of allowing fans all around the world to play vintage video games, whilst staying completely within applicable laws. The vNES program is expressly designed to not assist in the download of sensitive files, but rather load them on the fly when needed. The inner workings of this technology only allow these files to be loaded into temporary storage of a computer while playing. When you have stopped playing, the resource can no longer be accessed.
Due to substantial legal pressure, the staff of vNES International has gone to extensive lengths to continue operating within United States law, while still providing a quality product to our users. All of the games on VirtualNES.com that were released within North America, and/or are originally sanctioned products of Nintendo Co. Ltd. (or its subsidiaries), are backups from original cartridge copies stored at the vNES office, in accordance with 17 U.S.C. § 108 and 17 U.S.C. § 1201 (a)(1). Products made outside of those limitations are (generally) not known to have a copyright recognized by Title 17 of the United States Code.
Additionally, as made precedent in Sony v. Universal, the creation of complete backup copies made for the purposes of time-shifting is fair use for noncommercial purposes. For all intents and purposes, the definition of "commerce" is "The trading of something of economic value such as goods, information, services, or money between two or more entities." Quite obviously, with regard to the primary service (allowing the play of obsolete video games) no trading is taking place on VirtualNES.com. The particular lack of advertisements on VirtualNES.com reinforces our noncommercial status.
一个大西瓜
2008-12-07, 8:38 PM #27
The 30 lives code works in contra.. haha awesome
2008-12-07, 8:51 PM #28
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
Not sure if there is a difference.. but it is not suppose to be the arcade version, this is all old NES games

Noob.

The arcade machines had 4 levels in them while the nes version, seemingly the same, has only 3. The level missing is the sand factory level.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2008-12-07, 9:44 PM #29
Well their excuse is blah blah blah

I believe NES ROM images have some type of standard header, so it's just a matter of writing a quick & dirty proggy to crack Java open, and read all of its memory looking for a ROM header, then dumping it to disk. I suppose they could use encryption.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if Java itself had mechanisms like .NET does for accessing internal structures of programs directly (.NET calls it Reflection) so you could poke around internal data structures until you found a byte array called ROMImage.

Even just hooking a Java debugger onto it would help greatly, not to mention decompiling...

At the end of the day, I say if a user has something running on their computer, it is possible to decrypt it into a raw form they can transfer to any other device and use freely. This applies to silly websites which try to keep you from downloading MP3s used in flash players or putting blank gifs over images to keep you from downloading them, as well as any form of DRM.

↑ Up to the top!