Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gallery of Great Dinosaur Art
Gallery of Great Dinosaur Art
2008-12-06, 11:07 AM #1
Enter friend and patron into the gallery of great dinosaur art. Because you clicked this thread I trust you are of discriminating taste, and as such you are welcome to contribute other works of dinosaur art. If, however, you take exception to the art presented in this gallery, please leave before defacing the thread.

I will start the thread off with Dinosaur Apocalypse by Keith Malinovsky.

[http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8e790c2a05.jpg]

You can clearly see Keith's classical training in the T-rex's Michelangelesque pose, showing a lyrical dynamism and a defiant yet apprehensive cock of the head to the heavens. Keith also borrows heavily from Michelangelo's renaissance rival Leonardo Da Vinci, particularly in his use of chiaroscuro to highlight the apocalyptic panic of the scene, and his levelheaded approach to symbolism.

However, whereas Leonardo's symbolism was always broad, Malinovsky's is almost oversubtle. The juxtapostion of dinosaurs both large and small illustrates the jurassic social heirarchy, and speaks to us in our post-apartheid society; however, the focal point of the painting reveals that the wee dinosaurs are the first to be vaporized by the comet bolt storm, creating implications, which, if true, are almost too much to bear.

[http://www.dinosaurstudio.com/images/dlphoto.jpg]

Above is a photo of Keith giving us his famous whiskered smile as he fondles one of his many little creations. Aside from being a reknowned artiste, gentle-giant Keith is the janitor at a Kangaroo Joe Children's Soft Playcenter, as well as the fourth place finisher in the chubby Stalin category in a lookalike contest at a local fair.

The above photo was taken of Keith shortly before he received recognition from the Dinosaur Art of Northamerica Group as the Most Improved Northeastern Dinosaur Artist of 1999. Sadly his victory was shortlived as his only child Tyranno was scalded to death in a fight at a neighborhood clambake. Most importantly, despite all his tribulations, Keith's passion for depicting accurate dinosaur anatomy has not died.
2008-12-06, 11:07 AM #2
Next we have a regal classic from the golden age of Dinosaur Art, Masters of the Earth by Joe Tucciarone, as you might have guessed from his watermark.

[http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0caed46134.jpg]

Here's a nice description straight from the dinosartist's own mouth:

[quote=Joe Tucciarone]The ghostly image of a Tyrannosaurus rex looms over our home planet in this allegorical painting.

Sixty-five million years ago, our earth and its moon looked much the same as they do at present.

Yet at that time, life on land was very different from what it is now, for the Age of Reptiles prevailed and dinosaurs ruled the earth.[/quote]

[http://www.novaspace.com/LTD/TUCC/PIX/TUCCFACE.jpeg]

Here's Tucciarone's bearded face.

[quote=Joe's website]Joe's works are remarkable and singular in their precision and texture. He has mastered subtlties of nebulae and gaseous phenomena, while his lighting and sharply focused landscapes provide a stark counterpoint to the softness of his background subjects. His palette of color is unique among our artists, from popsicle purples to rich blues and siennas. He has a large cult of fanatic collectors of his prints and originals.[/quote]His popsicle purples have certainly ensnared my fancy; sign me up for his cult!
2008-12-06, 11:18 AM #3
Mine are stolen from a recent SA thread in GBS that has raptors, explosions, and sharks.

the last one was me growing up.

Clearly...the artist likes water. Or something.

The first one highlights a heartwarming aurora displayed by the religious background of the artist, where the dinosaur is dressed as a man associated with joy, gifts for the children, and the hearth, holding a mushroomhead explosion of warmth.

EDIT: I haven't been to a museum of natural sciences or art in 2 years :(
Attachment: 20674/babylovesboomboom.jpg (297,228 bytes)
Attachment: 20675/explosionsurferandsanta.jpg (71,387 bytes)
Attachment: 20676/jurassic-park2.jpg (109,235 bytes)
2008-12-06, 11:38 AM #4
Thank god you're back obie. Thank god you're back.
D E A T H
2008-12-06, 12:19 PM #5
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Thank god you're back obie. Thank god you're back.

do a self portrait
2008-12-06, 1:24 PM #6
The first two are AWESOME latis.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-12-06, 6:40 PM #7
Cool. Didn't know oversubtle was a word.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-09, 12:40 PM #8
bumpers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this thread is too great to let it fall off the edge of the map ( where there b seamonsters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )
2008-12-09, 1:15 PM #9
I either have a fantastic ability to bring the forum into a groan-induced silence that would make imsoshort jealous or I post when there are reruns of Xena: Warrior Princess and everyone's glued to their television

Let's hope the former, I don't want to be missing any Xena
2008-12-09, 4:48 PM #10
[http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/hyrax_of_love/dinoriderswall.jpg]

In this masterpiece from the late 1980s, the artist sums up the human experience on a single canvas. Armies of mechanized dinosaurs and their humanoid pilots battle ferociously while ignoring the signs of coming disaster, the seeming mastery of the beasts reflecting humanity's own mastery of nature. But just as we will never truly control nature, neither will the humanoids depicted here; even now one of them runs for his life from a spooked mount. The intensity of the lasers represents hatred, that most damaging of human emotions. As the battle goes on, the volcanoes that will bring it to an end begin to erupt, symbolizing the ultimate futility of conflict, and indeed all human endeavor.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?

↑ Up to the top!