Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → XM Radio, What I Need [Car]
XM Radio, What I Need [Car]
2008-12-07, 10:19 PM #1
So I'm interested in getting XM radio, and I'm looking for something that'll allow me to play it in my car easily. I don't really wanna get a new head unit, but will if I need to.

Going to Best Buy tomorrow morning, gonna see if anyone here knows the easiest route. Thanks guys.
D E A T H
2008-12-07, 11:24 PM #2
My mom has a simple tape deck adapter that woks with her XM, but if you dont have a tape deck then you can get those radio transmitters. I think they are a little more pricey
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-12-07, 11:31 PM #3
I haven't ever had a tape deck in any of the 3 cars I've owned. I didn't even know they made tape decks anymore.
D E A T H
2008-12-08, 9:59 AM #4
No.. they still make them
2008-12-08, 10:04 PM #5
stock head unit?

if yes what kind of car?

if no what kind of head unit
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-12-08, 10:15 PM #6
Forget satellite radio and get a Zune and a Zune Pass..
2008-12-08, 10:31 PM #7
lol zune suxbad
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-12-08, 10:55 PM #8
Originally posted by Vin:
Forget satellite radio and get a Zune and a Zune Pass..

Ew, no.

Originally posted by NoESC:
stock head unit?

if yes what kind of car?

if no what kind of head unit

Yes, but I got it figured out. We had this discussion--pontiac vibe fool.

But yeah, dropped 450 on parts and installation, going to go get it installed tomorrow along with some new speakers.

Woot.
D E A T H
2008-12-08, 11:00 PM #9
i can't be expected to remember that! :P
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-12-09, 3:45 AM #10
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Ew, no.

Any reason why not just out of curiosity?
2008-12-09, 4:19 AM #11
Because radio ftw?
nope.
2008-12-09, 6:36 AM #12
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Because radio ftw?

Music > DJs/Commercials :saddowns:
2008-12-09, 8:08 AM #13
music stations on sat radio don't have commercials
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-12-09, 9:10 AM #14
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Music > DJs/Commercials :saddowns:

Except that XM/Sirius has **** loads, and **** loads, of non commercial music channels. If they didn't, satellite radio would have never succeeded. Not to mention their channels are absolutely SUPERB with their libraries and song selection. Not only that, but if you are a sports fan, which I believe Yoshi is to some extent, you have every NBA/NFL/NCAA B/F game at your disposal. Then throw in the talk radio stations. I can guarantee that XM has channels and libraries of songs that Zune Pass does not have.

Satellite radio is awesome, nuff said. It pains me to drive in other people's cars without it. It is a godsend when driving down to Florida every year. Not that I don't love hooking up my Zune, but I refuse to do it in a car without a line-in or some wired FM Modulator. And although I'd love to pay for the Zune Pass, i still find it something that I would need to keep purchasing till the end of my days, because I download THAT much music (keeping 10 tracks a month does not entice me one bit). I love my Zune though :)
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-12-09, 9:10 AM #15
music stations on sat radio don't have commercials

Actually, many of them do. This is why it's stupid. I don't need:

A. To change stations constantly.
B. Let a DJ decide what music I like.
C. Rely on the reception and some silly car unit adapter.

If you're that terribly into sports then fine, whatever, but for music, I don't see how I can justify what satellite offers compared to getting all of the music I want, on my own time, anywhere, and never have any talking/commercials.
2008-12-09, 9:19 AM #16
sirius doesn't have commercials on the music stations, i don't know about xm, i don't have that.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-12-09, 9:30 AM #17
sirius doesn't have commercials on the music stations, i don't know about xm, i don't have that.

Yeah, Sirius definitely doesn't have commercials. I much prefer satellite radio to any sort of mp3 player in the car too. Even with tons of music on an mp3 player, it starts getting old eventually and just isn't as dynamic as a radio. I find it much more difficult to sit and try to populate a music player with songs that I'm going to want to listen to in my car. I much prefer to just randomly be surprised with songs that I like but would've never thought to put on my iPod.
2008-12-09, 9:45 AM #18
Actually, many of them do. This is why it's stupid. I don't need:

C. Rely on the reception and some silly car unit adapter.

I've had XM/Sirius for as long as it has existed so I feel like I need to come to the defense of it. Don't get me wrong, I love Zune. Within my family we've got two of them, and we both tried Zune Pass, and thought it was awesome. But still not worth the money (even w/ the 10 tracks a month, which I think is a gimmick). For the record, I have a line-in in my car so I use both my XM and my Zune

Anyways....

Actually, many of them don't, except for "You are listening to Channel 46, Top Tracks, the best classic rock, on XM Radio" once every hour or so. You really can't stand that? Sirius has even more where there are 100% no commercials.

A. So don't? I'm pretty sure if people like to switch it up and they have every right to. Not everyone just sits and puts on a playlist. I'm even one of those people who hardly switches songs like I'm assuming you are based on your statement, but I still respect the choice. And Satellite Radio is THAT good where you won't need to change channels, because you know EXACTLY what you are getting when you go to the channel. That is the point. If I go to Channel 46 - Top Tracks (although now after merger it's called Classic Vinyl I believe), you know it is Classic Rock. If I stuck my Zune on random I guarantee I'd get more songs that I actually don't like than on XM. Not to mention I'd say from a driving perspective it's a ****-ton safer to use XM because of presets then fiddling with an mp3 player. Again, it's all about choice here. I personally would like the option of being able to have a spontaneous, guaranteed amazing evergrowing music library (along with talk radio, exclusive series, and sports) than just my music library at hand.

B. If you don't like it....change the channel. If you can't find music over 200 channels, then I think you are a lost cause. Because XM/Sirius has everything. Just like if you have a song on random come up on Zune, you skip it....

C.Reception is a null point now. I have hardly lost reception, and any competent installer will install XM either using a built-in aux input on the back of the stock radio, or use a Wired FM Modulator with an external switch. And actually, that would be beneficial to all users, cuz usually it's just a 1/8" pin that plugs into the XM-unit, but you can most certainly just plug it into your Zune or other mp3 player.

Also, you can't forget all the exclusive series that XM/Sirius has. The Led Zeppelin channel as of late, the AC/DC and Metallica channel as of late, their Artist Confidential series, etc. They are constantly adding new music series that are very interesting to listen to.

If you find it stupid, that's fine. That's your call. But I feel like I need to at least defend the people who get XM. I'm sure all of them have mp3 players too, but there are NUMEROUS benefits to XM and it's not "stupid".

2008-12-09, 9:54 AM #19
Yeah that pretty much sums it up.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2008-12-09, 10:05 AM #20
right now i've got sirius and my ipod in the car. 1300 albums on the ipod, but i listen to sirius when i don't want to be changing the songs up while driving, or want to find new music.

sirius/xm u is a pretty great indie rock station.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-12-09, 11:20 AM #21
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Actually, many of them don't, except for "You are listening to Channel 46, Top Tracks, the best classic rock, on XM Radio" once every hour or so. You really can't stand that? Sirius has even more where there are 100% no commercials.

Sure didn't seem like it last time I listened. Bunch of stations had chattering.

Quote:
A. So don't? I'm pretty sure if people like to switch it up and they have every right to. Not everyone just sits and puts on a playlist. I'm even one of those people who hardly switches songs like I'm assuming you are based on your statement, but I still respect the choice. And Satellite Radio is THAT good where you won't need to change channels, because you know EXACTLY what you are getting when you go to the channel. That is the point. If I go to Channel 46 - Top Tracks (although now after merger it's called Classic Vinyl I believe), you know it is Classic Rock. If I stuck my Zune on random I guarantee I'd get more songs that I actually don't like than on XM. Not to mention I'd say from a driving perspective it's a ****-ton safer to use XM because of presets then fiddling with an mp3 player. Again, it's all about choice here. I personally would like the option of being able to have a spontaneous, guaranteed amazing evergrowing music library (along with talk radio, exclusive series, and sports) than just my music library at hand.
Well see that's the thing. I don't see a single channel that offers everything I like. I've tried it a couple times now, and I find myself constantly flipping through channels. It's why I hate FM radio, except now it's worse because there's more to flip through. It's just like TV anymore. You go from Air to cable/Satellite. You suddenly have hundreds of channels instead of 10 or so, and yet there's still nothing on worth watching when I flip the TV on. For this reason I use and abuse my DVR to watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it.

For the same reason, I want to listen to what I want to listen to, on my watch. FM's bad enough, at least I don't pay for it. But when I'm paying $12.95 a month, I think it's a huge waste.

Plus, they simply don't have a lot of music I listen to normally. International bands, stuff like OCRemix, podcasts, etc. Not saying it's their fault for not carrying that, but they don't.

Quote:
B. If you don't like it....change the channel. If you can't find music over 200 channels, then I think you are a lost cause. Because XM/Sirius has everything. Just like if you have a song on random come up on Zune, you skip it....
I already do this with FM, why would I want that same aggravation, and pay for it? As pointed out, Sirius XM does not have everything, and more importantly, they don't play everything all the time. I don't know about your listening habits, but one strict genre doesn't fit me. And I'm not going to pounce through 100+ channels to try and find something else.

Quote:
C.Reception is a null point now. I have hardly lost reception, and any competent installer will install XM either using a built-in aux input on the back of the stock radio, or use a Wired FM Modulator with an external switch. And actually, that would be beneficial to all users, cuz usually it's just a 1/8" pin that plugs into the XM-unit, but you can most certainly just plug it into your Zune or other mp3 player.

Also, you can't forget all the exclusive series that XM/Sirius has. The Led Zeppelin channel as of late, the AC/DC and Metallica channel as of late, their Artist Confidential series, etc. They are constantly adding new music series that are very interesting to listen to.
The exclusives are probably the most pointless thing out of everything they offer to my tastes. I couldn't ever sit and listen to a single band for that long, even if I absolutely love them.

So yes, I think it's stupid. That's my opinion. Oh, and not even to touch on the restrictions of only being able to play that music in a specific receiver system, and having to buy a bunch of hardware just to play it elsewhere. Or even paying extra just to listen on my PC?
2008-12-09, 11:48 AM #22
How did this turn into a debate?
2008-12-09, 11:52 AM #23
Cuz I'm bored.
2008-12-09, 12:34 PM #24
Fair enough.

Then my question, is if one fit genre doesn't fit you, then obviously unless you listen to the same playlist every day, you will find yourself skipping around on your Zune, much like you would skip around on the radio...And if you do listen to one playlist filled with random music (whether stuff you have or new stuff from Zune Pass), then is that not the same as turning on the radio and listening for random songs?

BTW, on those exclusives, they don't just play their music. They have interviews with the artist, bootlegs that you cannot hear anywhere else, etc. So that stuff I, and many, do find interesting

And it turned into a debate because minutes after posting that I contact Yoshi on AIM and basically told him everything he needed :).

2008-12-09, 4:31 PM #25

You obviously don't know how radio stations decide on what to play nowadays. :colbert:
nope.
2008-12-09, 6:50 PM #26
Watch out for those "big box" store installations. I've seen some of the work done by Best Buy and Circuit City and I give them about a 100% suckage-guaranteed-to-hack-your-car-up rate.
2008-12-09, 10:02 PM #27
So yeah, I didn't get a zune, and I got XM, and it's awesome. And I'm not really looking back.

Sorry, I don't want a Zune as an MP3 player. If I get a new one it's gonna be either the Sansa Fuze or the iPod Touch.

Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
Watch out for those "big box" store installations. I've seen some of the work done by Best Buy and Circuit City and I give them about a 100% suckage-guaranteed-to-hack-your-car-up rate.

They did fine.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!