Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Stop lights, the bane of my existence...
Stop lights, the bane of my existence...
2004-08-14, 5:05 PM #1
You ever get into one of those situations where all the stop lights are working against you and everyone in front of you seems to want to go under the speed limit when you just need to hurry? Well, today was my day.

So I'm on the computer, browsing the Massassi discussion forum, when suddenly from upstairs I hear my Mom calling. Now, mind you, she had been calling me every half an hour all day, so I wasn't in the most pleasurable mood to respond. But I went upstairs anyway. I found my Mom huddled over the sink gripping her hand. Needless to say, I became somewhat worried. Turns out she had been making me a sandwich when the knife she had been using slipped and sliced her up pretty good between her thumb and pointer finger on her left hand. So, looking at the cut, it was easy to decide the next course of action...the emergency room at the nearest hospital (yeah, it was quite the cut). So we get into the car, and I swear, every single stoplight turned red right as I was getting to it, with people in front of me stopping as well. And it seemed that every single motorist wasn't in too much of a hurry, as I don't recall having even gotten to the speed limit once in my trip. Not something you are terribly happy about when your own mother is in the passenger seat gripping her half sliced off thumb in order to stop the bleeding.

Anyway, thats about how my day went. How's everyone else been doing?

------------------
Wisdom is the correct application of knowledge.
Life is beautiful.
2004-08-14, 5:12 PM #2
yeah, when I cut off my thumb with an axe in the 2nd grad (long story) (yeah, ouch, but it's back on now and it works, thank god I can feel and everything) I remember i went to one hospital they were like "Go to another hospital thats to severe for us :/" I cut through my nerves to luckily no pain, I only cried for like 20 mins because of complete shock and horror and maybe a bit of pain, but not much...after that 20 mins I was just sitting calm with gauze wrapped around my hand. I wasn't even bleeding that much if I remember correctly. So i remember traffic was hella slow, and I had to go to two hostpitals! On top of that my grandma must of aged like 30 years because it happened while she was babbysitting, rest her soul.

But yeah, traffic can suck at the worst times.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-14, 5:19 PM #3
I could've sworn if you were going to the emergency rooms you could ignore traffic laws. At least I know in some places in the US you can. Especially if it's REALLY severe, say, having a baby, or something like that. Could be wrong though.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-14, 5:29 PM #4
unfortunately unless you want to take a lot longer to get there I'd recommend stopping at stop lights... And by getting there later I mean in an ambulance.

------------------
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
Get with the Carnage!
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2004-08-14, 5:32 PM #5
being in an ambulance sucks. They give you this neck brace becasue "You might have injured your neck and not known it" Which is true, but it makes it more uncomfortable [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Being all strapped in with belts, then ontop of that a really huge neckbrace. They don't seem to go as fast when your in one, then when you see one drive by ^_^.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-14, 5:40 PM #6
This one time, I managed to cut my thumb down from the top, all the way to the bone. It kind of looked like a butt crack. hehe.

------------------
Four dimensions, four fundamental forces... coincidence?
Stuff
2004-08-14, 5:42 PM #7
Murphy's Law in full action here. It happens to me when I'm in a dire hurry to get to some place. Every single stop light that I came across was red on me. It is the WORST thing to be in a hurry during rush hour. I do not arrive @ red lights, but I arrive at stop lights JUST TURNING red. That means I have to wait for the entire cross traffic including the pedestrians. Sucks I tell you.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-14, 6:00 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:
This one time, I managed to cut my thumb down from the top, all the way to the bone. It kind of looked like a butt crack. hehe.

</font>

Radial arm saw + finger = lots of pain and cursing.

just ask me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-14, 6:03 PM #9
Im sorry your day was bad. But she cant be all that bad, after all, she was making you a sandwich!

------------------
"The first thing she said when she got in the car was, Mom i aint a virgin anymore. I slapped the hell out her. I spend all this money for you to go to college and your still saying AINT?!!!?!!" -last comic standing
My Personal Site | Remnant Temple Part A | A work in progress
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-08-14, 6:09 PM #10
I even got to eat it when I got back from the hospital. Thankfully, it was spared of the blood that came spewing out...

------------------
Life is beautiful.
2004-08-14, 9:46 PM #11
Murphy's Law. Simple as that.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-14, 10:39 PM #12

^^^Truth.

[This message has been edited by BurrBoy (edited August 15, 2004).]
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-08-15, 3:50 AM #13
i slit my wrist open on some borken glass when i was in fifth grade. i was holding a glass bowl and i fell and it broek and the glass went in my wrist. needless to say i cut 7 tendons and like 8 nerves. i was made afraid that i was gonna die. thank god my mom was home. i still dont have the all the feeling back in it [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------

~~Because Eric does Rock Your World~~
░▒▓█▓▒░?░▒▓█▓▒░
2004-08-15, 4:06 AM #14
I wasn't alowed to use sharp kinfes, so I used a really dull table knife to cut a grape fruit. Silced my thumb deep. I could see the layers of skin, and then the fat. That was ten years ago.
One time I was walking on a road bare foot and sliced a dime sized flap of skin off my toe.
2004-08-15, 5:07 AM #15
Dang, and I thought I was danger-prone. Worst thing that has ever happened to me is that I was trimming a fishing knot with a Swissarmy knife and I slipped. Sliced the tip of my thumb, bout a quarter of an inch down. I didn't make it to the bone, thank God, but I was close. I didn't go the emergency room at time, I just used serveral bandaids to keep it closed. Wish I had now, and the tip of my thumb is almost completely devoid of feeling now. Feels funny as heck.
2004-08-15, 5:38 AM #16
Just curious, but why didnt you call an ambulance?

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-15, 5:41 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I wasn't alowed to use sharp kinfes, so I used a really dull table knife to cut a grape fruit. Silced my thumb deep. I could see the layers of skin, and then the fat. That was ten years ago.
One time I was walking on a road bare foot and sliced a dime sized flap of skin off my toe.
</font>

your parents f***ed up on that big time. dull knives are much more dangerous than sharp ones b/c you have to apply more pressure to cut, and if the blade slips (and it does) you will get hurt a lot worse.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-15, 6:27 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Just curious, but why didnt you call an ambulance?

</font>

It wasn't THAT bad, I just had to overdramatize it a little in my post. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Life is beautiful.
2004-08-15, 7:57 AM #19
Yeah Spork.. maybe they have ambulances waiting for everyone with a minor cut or a scraped knee in Australia, but that's not the way things work here. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-15, 8:42 AM #20
It wasn't exactly THAT minor a cut either. She had to get 3 internal and 6 external stitches. But we had the bleeding pretty much stopped in a minute with pressure on the cut. Besides, my house is less then 10 minutes from the hospital. By the time the ambulance got to my house, I would have had my Mom almost there anyway.
Life is beautiful.
2004-08-15, 9:00 AM #21
I guess he made it sound worse than it was, but if my thumb was hanging by a thread and I was losing blood by the gallon, personally I'd want an ambulance to at least stop the bleeding before being transported to hospital.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-15, 10:01 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
</font>

WTF were you doing slicing a grape in the first place?

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-15, 10:05 AM #23
Grapefruit, the kind you eat for breakfast [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Wake up, rise and shine, Gotta take another pint, Dig heads and watch out for the night.

[This message has been edited by Seb (edited August 15, 2004).]
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-08-15, 10:12 AM #24
When injury tries to come my way, it just bounces off my fat.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-15, 10:20 AM #25
Guy I know from school a year or two ago was running in a swimming area and slipped putting his right arm through a reinforced window... moral of the story, don't run around swimming pools

------------------
What happens when you cast heal on the undead?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-08-15, 11:59 AM #26
Thanks, I'll remeber not to do that...

When I was in first grade, my brother gave me a ride on his shoulders. I jumped up, and went right over his shoulders. We were on the street, and I landed chin first into the ground. I split my chin open, I even had some rocks stuck in there...

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-08-15, 8:32 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
When injury tries to come my way, it just bounces off my fat.

</font>

Stay away from polar bears.

Anyway, this reminds me of an article I read concerning devices that could change a stoplight remotely, like a TV clicker. They were only supposed to be sold to emergency personnel, but they were being sold on the internet with no ID verification, and they caught on quickly. Several ambulance drivers reported approaching a light and changing it with their remote, only to have someone else change it back.

People these days... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-15, 8:54 PM #28
I've been:
Cut by my cat tons of times
Uhm...Dog kinda hurt my ear once and hurt it...blood was all over.. was gonna get stitches but they gave me this uberbandage alternative.
I was sucked out of a car and found my foot under the wheel of it.
(car was going slow, like 2 - 4 mph, I had my foot out the door swinging like a moron. Next thing I know I get pulled out and I'm on the freakin' ground with my foot pinned under. Luckily other then being a tad bit sore, everythin' was fine."

Fun.

------------------
"Judging by the name of the author, and the name of the work, I'd guess it's an energy "beam". You know, like in the Japanese cartoons where those guys with big hair fly around, talk philosophy, and shoot fireballs at each other." - Hellequin
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-08-15, 9:10 PM #29
Wow, I seem to be the only one here with no serious injuries to speak of. Excluding the time I tripped and fell on a tile floor and my tooth cut a hole in my front lip. But that was a long time ago and I don't even remember it. Still have the scar, though.

Okay, I admit that was pretty pathetic. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-15, 10:19 PM #30
My most serious injury is a slight scar where they had to sew after getting a piece of my kneecap that had broken off out.

Story goes, I'm skateboarding, I fly off the ramp, do a 178* (I didn't make the full 180) land hard on the front foot, board goes back, I go forward, I hit curb...with kneecap.

Also, What are these stoplights you speak of? Is that why I have so many traffic violations?

------------------
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
2004-08-16, 11:06 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
I could've sworn if you were going to the emergency rooms you could ignore traffic laws. At least I know in some places in the US you can. Especially if it's REALLY severe, say, having a baby, or something like that. Could be wrong though.

</font>

I'd do it anyway were I to be of driving age and in a similar situation, though I have no idea what the UK laws are... *shrug*

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

How to keep an idiot busy: See below
How to keep an idiot busy: See above
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-16, 11:10 AM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
Wow, I seem to be the only one here with no serious injuries to speak of. Excluding the time I tripped and fell on a tile floor and my tooth cut a hole in my front lip. But that was a long time ago and I don't even remember it. Still have the scar, though.

Okay, I admit that was pretty pathetic. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

</font>

Something similar happened to me (though I don't recall it). My bottom lip isn't smooth - ok it's not all jagged and noticeable, but if you look or feel (no, please don't!) closely it is scarred where I went over onto a patio when very small, sinking all my teeth into my bottom lip.

Worst trip to hospital was recently when I blacked out in panic in a disused sewer tunnel as part of cadet training - I had no clue I was claustrophobic like that, and it was pitch dark too and I whacked my head loads in panic apparently. Luckily it was out in the country so my Captain raced me to hospital ASAP whilst my Colonel ensured I didn't go into deeper shock than I was already in. Nasty though.

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

How to keep an idiot busy: See below
How to keep an idiot busy: See above
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-17, 2:10 AM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
Stay away from polar bears.

Anyway, this reminds me of an article I read concerning devices that could change a stoplight remotely, like a TV clicker. They were only supposed to be sold to emergency personnel, but they were being sold on the internet with no ID verification, and they caught on quickly. Several ambulance drivers reported approaching a light and changing it with their remote, only to have someone else change it back.

People these days... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

That's just asking for a car crash.

The whole point of stoplights is either to allow traffic to come through on crossroads, or to allow pedestrians to cross the road. Changing one light to green isn't useful because you still have to wait for the other traffic to go past, whether you're an ambulance driver or not.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935

↑ Up to the top!