Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → ...Bioethics?
...Bioethics?
2008-12-12, 8:13 AM #1
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/13/world/europe/13vatican.html?_r=1&hp

I can understand the opposition to practices such as embryonic stem cell research and morning after-pills (...I guess). But I never knew about the opposition given towards in vitro fertilization and freezing embryos too. I guess just touching an embryo is forbidden.

Then again, I can just ignore what the Vatican says like I usually do, but I do sincerely hope it wouldn't affect the medical world.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-12, 9:50 AM #2
I think it's silly. Why would God assign a soul to an embryo sitting in a freezer somewhere?
2008-12-12, 10:29 AM #3
Yeah the anti-in vitro thing is one of those teachings most don't know about. It's in the Catechism. It's certainly a harsh teaching, but in terms of consistency, if not actual truth, it makes sense to me.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2008-12-12, 10:34 AM #4
i dont think either side really understands the other on this issue. in fact i dont think its even truly possible to really grasp where one side is coming from unless you on that side.
having said that i think the Vatican is full of some of the biggest wind bags in the world. and thats coming from a somewhat religious person.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2008-12-12, 2:08 PM #5
i like to jizz into a plastic cup!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-12-12, 2:12 PM #6
Quote:
i think the Vatican is full of some of the biggest wind bags in the world. and thats coming from a somewhat religious person.

"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-12-12, 3:09 PM #7
I'm not trying to offend anyone, but the Catholic Church is one of the most *** backwards organizations on the face of this planet.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-12, 3:23 PM #8
90% chance the Pope is the Antichrist.

9% chance it's Obama. No, it can't be McCain, because, duh, he didn't get elected.
2008-12-12, 8:19 PM #9
Well the Pope DOES look a lot like the Emperor...

I can accept people thinking an embryo in a body is a human life. Even if it's only a few days old. But I can't accept some jizz and eggs stirred into a tube as a human life.
2008-12-12, 9:04 PM #10
Pope follows most of the predictions of the anti christ.

Anyway, it wouldn't be Obama, since we all know the world ends in 2012, sometime in the next election if he doesn't get another term (it is 4 years right?)
2008-12-12, 9:38 PM #11
Yes, yes, the very END of his term. See, it can't be the person elected after him because the world will have already ended.

Actually, the prophecy about 2012 doesn't even say the world will end. It's a cycle, that happens to be when it repeats. It's no more special than January 1st.

For the subject on hand : It can be difficult to draw a line between eggs fertilized in a fallopian tube and eggs fertilized in test tubes. The act of fertilizing an egg and creating an embryo just to destroy it rubs me the wrong way. I won't come right out and condemn it, but I wouldn't do it myself.
2008-12-13, 5:05 AM #12
I'd like to be able to regrow limbs and organs, kill as many not people yet as you like, because it might save billions already alive.

That or we can start shooting them into space to colonize lawl, because thats going to happen so much sooner with mutant space test tube babies.
2008-12-13, 6:48 AM #13
Quote:
I'd like to be able to regrow limbs and organs, kill as many not people yet as you like, because it might save billions already alive.

For once I agree with rob. If we could grow limbs and organs it would defenitely improve the quality of life.
-Martyn
2008-12-13, 2:27 PM #14
Funny thing there... there's apparently been more success in research with adult stem cells than with embryonic stem cells. If it keeps up, they'll figure out how to do it from the target of the organ transplant and save us the trouble of all this bioethics crap.
2008-12-14, 7:08 AM #15
^ and it would negate the issue of the cody rejecting the organ, if its made of the patients own DNA.
-Martyn
2008-12-14, 8:53 AM #16
It can still reject it.

And some transplants are made necessary by a disease that causes the immune system to attack it's own body anyway.
2008-12-14, 11:47 AM #17
Oh.
-Martyn
2008-12-14, 2:23 PM #18
I just will never understand what is controversial about having a respect for the lives of embryos and a belief that the destruction of those lives is bad.

Originally posted by JM:
Yes, yes, the very END of his term. See, it can't be the person elected after him because the world will have already ended.

Yes, his term actually ends in 2013, if we make it that far.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

↑ Up to the top!