Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → [tech] dvd-drive issues
[tech] dvd-drive issues
2008-12-14, 3:36 PM #1
A friend of mine let me borrow his laptop, so that I could work on it. I've gotten everything working again except for its dvd drive. Apparently, it suddenly stopped working some time ago (the exact time, I have no idea). The confusing part about it is that it spins up like normal upon startup, and if you put in a cd, it would try to read it, but the OS won't recognize it or detect it in device manager. Currently, the laptop is running XP sp3. It used to run on vista (which is what it was running when the drive first stopped working). And, according to my friend, he's had the drive replaced once before, as the previous one did the same thing.

I've tried a few things, and have googled around, but haven't been able to find anything that has worked so far. So here I am. Any ideas, massassi? :psyduck:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2008-12-14, 3:41 PM #2
New driver?
*shrugs*
2008-12-14, 3:56 PM #3
I have seen some laptop drives fail in interesting ways, recently a coworker's laptop refused to read standard audio or data CDROMS, but would still read DVD's.

I would guess its a hardware failure, and not a driver issue. Especially if you cant boot from the DVD/CD.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-12-14, 4:13 PM #4
find the model number and try flashing the firmware... wouldn't hurt to try
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-12-14, 4:38 PM #5
My DVD+/-RW drive can't read or write DVD+/-RWs. It has no problems with CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, or CD-RWs. My dad thinks it's dust. Everytime I say I should get a new one, he tells me I should clean it. When I ask him to help me he claims he doesn't know how. Repeat ad nauseum until I use his dvd burner.

2008-12-14, 6:06 PM #6
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
find the model number and try flashing the firmware... wouldn't hurt to try

I tried looking for firmware, but didn't find anything of use... also checked on the manufacturer's website, but couldnt even find the model... its a Panasonic/Mat****a UJ-850
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2008-12-14, 8:27 PM #7
does it show up in the laptop's bios? can you boot from it?

if you can't boot from it, it's not a software issue. if it's hardware, there's not much you can do to fix it.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-12-14, 9:28 PM #8
no and nope.... also he told me not to worry with it, since its now running... so... at least a shot was given at it :P

↑ Up to the top!