Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The U.S. lost to Puerto Rico in the Olympics?!
The U.S. lost to Puerto Rico in the Olympics?!
2004-08-15, 3:21 PM #1
Our team played like ****! That was horrendous shooting by the U.S. Not to mention we lost by a double digits deficit. I guess we should be thankful for the U.S. women basketball team's victory over Australia though.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4581243/
Speaking of which, the U.S. only has one gold medal so far.....
2004-08-15, 3:29 PM #2
I'm amazed at how bad the team is playing. By talent alone we should destroying our opponents. However, that's why basketball is a team sport. The one thing that bugs me the most is our horrendous outside shooting. the 3 point line in international basketball is about three feet shorter than the NBA line. We should be making more threes, not bricking them left and right.

------------------
"This thread is still alive? Someone should kill it."
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2004-08-15, 3:33 PM #3
We lost to one of our territories?

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-15, 3:45 PM #4
the NBA sucks right now (i'm thinking especially of the lakers) each player has their own damn franchise almost and don't get along with each other. They are supposed to be a team, and they are acting like a group of individuals.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-15, 3:52 PM #5
I hope the US gets knocked out of the running. Maybe that will light a fire under the snobby *** losers back here that decided they didn't want to go to the Olympics because they weren't getting paid enough to go half way around the world. A few years ago basketball players would have killed to go to the Olympics. I guess money infects the mind.

Did anyone watch the Chinese basketball team? I hear Yao Ming got super pissed when they lost.

------------------
Debating politics on the internet is about as useful and productive as shoving a broomstick up your *** .

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited August 15, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-08-15, 3:54 PM #6
I don't really care about sports, but still...

*points and laughs at the US*

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-15, 3:58 PM #7
Go Canada, eh?

------------------
"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-08-15, 4:21 PM #8
We need Michael Redd!!!! Michael Redd!!!

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"

2004-08-15, 4:21 PM #9
This US team is hardly the best the US could have put together. Many of he top US born players from the NBA said no to the olympics this year. Shaq, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnet, Chris Webber and so on. The team is young and didn't really have enough time to become a team. On to of that, there are some outstanding players playing in he NBA that are playng for their national teams.

Still, Puerto Rico is a team that we should have beat, badly.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-15, 4:53 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:

</font>

Yeah, isn't Puerto Rico part of the United States? Shouldn't they compete under us?..

------------------
What once was...
Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-08-15, 5:01 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:

</font>

Whats up with THAT?

------------------
www.tednation.tk
2004-08-15, 5:37 PM #12
The NBA started sucking when the Bulls stopped being good.

------------------
<A HREF="http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
Hh3l2,6WPxP4,m28fBMzy4Rh,7xvzFHg4qS7k,qzG2K,7q6YSCXqP5x3,,1,,m5mC,gMrw4Xcx7,,,tg
LQw,F,J,p5X5,mCD7,p4fCJh9bc5kw,vmqWsl2h0V,6VRsy4b,9G6H,6,qdtM9PZ,ls,s0,N1rjwJ3hkwfr
nmfDV8G5J,,jT6bt3c7vh4,DVMkf3qX8dcz9yGnHkrr1hT8P8R4cC6Fx0qdl2,hKCH,b5wJY,,cVt,LPRx
RunXrp" TARGET=_blank>http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
Hh3l2,6WPxP4,m28fBMzy4Rh,7xvzFHg4qS7k,qzG2K,7q6YSCXqP5x3,,1,,m5mC,gMrw4Xcx7,,,tg
LQw,F,J,p5X5,mCD7,p4fCJh9bc5kw,vmqWsl2h0V,6VRsy4b,9G6H,6,qdtM9PZ,ls,s0,N1rjwJ3hkwfr
nmfDV8G5J,,jT6bt3c7vh4,DVMkf3qX8dcz9yGnHkrr1hT8P8R4cC6Fx0qdl2,hKCH,b5wJY,,cVt,LPRx
RunXrp</A>

[This message has been edited by FH_PhoenixFlame (edited August 15, 2004).]
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-08-15, 5:40 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
That was horrendous shooting by the U.S. </font>

There's a reason for that. The idiots failed to include any real shooters on the team to help stretch the defense. Slashers and one-on-one players? Got tons of them. Shooters? Zero. None.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mscbuck:

</font>

Damn right. Redd isn't a franchise player but he can flat out SHOOT which is what is desperately needed.

I still think the U.S. has a good chance, they have Tim Duncan and that is nothing to sneeze at.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-15, 6:07 PM #14
We lost to Greece... *switches back to the Swimming*

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-15, 6:17 PM #15
Tim Duncan needs to make his damn free throws, along with the rest of the team

------------------

2004-08-15, 6:19 PM #16
Free throws have never been the strong part of his game.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-08-16, 2:30 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mscbuck:

</font>

Michael Redd could sink more three pointers then the whole current U.S. team can. By the way, I heard Serbia's team is suffering the same problems as us.
2004-08-16, 3:15 PM #18
I thought the mid-air foul on the puerto rican guy that resulted in him making the shot and getting the free throws was particularly beautiful.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-16, 6:53 PM #19
Maybe if we get knocked out of the tournament early, someone, somewhere will realize that basketball is a team sport.

We would have been better off just sending the Detroit Pistons.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-08-16, 7:06 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
I guess we should be thankful for the U.S. women basketball team's victory over Australia though.
</font>

I shake my fist at you liberally.

[This message has been edited by The Last True Evil (edited August 16, 2004).]
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2004-08-16, 8:40 PM #21
we lost to Puerto Rico.

PUERTO RICO.

Have you ever MET a puerto rican? they're all friggen SHORT!

... yeah, suckage right now.

------------------
I'm the other one
I am constant as the northern star
2004-08-16, 8:44 PM #22
Yea... but I bet the US would win in a war though.

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-08-16, 8:45 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The NBA started sucking when the Bulls stopped being good.</font>

Too true... Jerry Kraus destroyed the NBA.

------------------
2004-08-16, 10:29 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
I don't really care about sports, but still...

*points and laughs at the US*
</font>

Laugh all you want, but last night all that Canada had was a broze medal.

We suck [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-16, 11:36 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Yeah, isn't Puerto Rico part of the United States? Shouldn't they compete under us?.. </font>

Puerto Rico is a U.S. Commonwealth. If they competed under team USA, you'd get right royally buggered by Canada, Australia and New Zealand all competing under team GB! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Fight like a Warlord
2004-08-17, 1:35 AM #26
I thought all Olympics athletes had to be amateurs? So athletes that get paid for the sport aren't allowed to enter, or is that only for some events?
I know that David Beckham and the like are never in for the Olympic football event.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-08-17, 6:08 AM #27
The amateur-pro thing was changed in 1992 for basketball at any rate.

I'm not sure about soccer, I heard most of the better players just stay away due to club contracts, but the guy who told me that was a bit of a dodgey source of info.

Was watching the boxing an hour ago or so, and having it amateur does have some advantages, after 10 minutes of beating the crap out of each other, these two guys just shook hands, shook the refs hand and left. No prancing around, no Tyson antics, no trying to do something to get them on the 6:00 news.
2004-08-17, 6:21 AM #28
/me whistles "America" from "West Side Story" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English

[This message has been edited by Impi (edited August 17, 2004).]
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-08-17, 6:24 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I thought all Olympics athletes had to be amateurs? So athletes that get paid for the sport aren't allowed to enter, or is that only for some events?
I know that David Beckham and the like are never in for the Olympic football event.
</font>

Used to have to be strictly amatuer, but they changed the rules. You can be a pro athlete as long as you are not geting paid to participate in the olympics.

As for soccer, the mens teams are under-23 national teams with 3 (I think) slots for players over the age of 23.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited August 17, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-08-17, 10:46 AM #30
What I find really weird is...defensivly we really shouldnt be having a hard time. We can guard anyone one on one, and we should be disrupting these teams setting up their offense. But obviously in the NBA, terms like help side defense aren't known. Larry Brown is the best person to teach that to them. Sucks that his OWN players declined to help him...especially RIP Hamilton. Even if we didnt get Redd...RIP can shoot..and when he his a streak...gosh. On paper...this team is a fixture of the most athletic freaks on the planet, but they arent using it as a team. Carmelo Anthony is the closet person they have to a pure shooter...and HE DOESNT EVEN PLAY.

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-08-17, 2:25 PM #31
We beated Greece today, although they almost came back towards the end. Our defense with perimeter shooters is pretty bad. We always let the opposition shoot too many threes.
2004-08-17, 2:52 PM #32
I say we only get 3-4 pros and the rest could be college kids. They would at least play like they meant it.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve

↑ Up to the top!