Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Server processors vs. "normal" processors
Server processors vs. "normal" processors
2008-12-21, 5:31 PM #1
AMD has Opterons vs. Phenoms, Intel has Xeons vs. Core 2 Quads. What are the qualitative differences between the so-called server processors and their "normal" counterparts? Why are Xeons and Opterons used specifically in workstations and servers?
2008-12-21, 5:41 PM #2
As I recall, server processors often use different sockets that support MP configurations, require registered/ECC memory and sometimes have more cache.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-12-21, 5:59 PM #3
Replace 'sometimes' with 'usually' and Emon is right.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-12-21, 7:18 PM #4
Server CPU's used have alot more cache than standard desktop cpus but in the current generation of CPU's this is rarely true. Some people believe that Xeon/Opteron are higher quality parts and cite differences in voltage requirements and TDP values as proof, but I have never seen Intel or AMD actaully make this claim.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2008-12-21, 9:30 PM #5
The new Xeons just have more cache.

↑ Up to the top!