Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Blackberries: Are they worth it?
Blackberries: Are they worth it?
2008-12-21, 6:25 PM #1
Recently I've been researching some phone plans and trying to decide if it's worth making a switch over.

Currently I have the Wing from T-Mobile and it does a lot of what I need, but runs Windows mobile on way to little RAM and is terribly slow and hoggy. Eg sometimes I have to reboot the phone to free up enough memory to launch the camera.

Now with Sprint, I can get a Blackberry plan set up with voice and data and all that for the same price a month as just voice with T-Mobile.

T-Mobile I have the my-faves plan, but four of my five 'faves' are mobile users, so the Sprint mobile-to-mobile calling covers that [as far as I can tell].

The 8330 looks awfully attractive, what with the GPS and maps and such [I get lost in a heartbeat when I'm trying to get places]. I can pick that up for 80$ on a new contract, however then I have to take a 200$ hit from Tmo for early cancellation.

So the question I've been trying to decide is if it's worth it.

I use my phone primarily for:

- Text
- Appointments/schedule
- To Do
- Notes to self
- Calls of course
- Data, but have to be at wifi spots to use it currently

Things I like about the Wing:
- Bluetooth [for long boring conference calls so I can wander around the house]
- Speakerphone
- This is the big thing though: When a scheduled item comes up, or I get a text, I have it set up so it will read it out loud to me. This is really nice if I'm not watching the screen or driving/walking somewhere.

Is there any way to get the TTS functionality with the Blackberries? That's probably the clincher in the decision there.

And how is the functionality/usability of the todo/schedule and such features in general?

Thanks for any insights or suggestions!
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2008-12-21, 6:27 PM #2
What area do you live in?

Sprint service is abysmal in my area.. just absolutely god-awful.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-12-21, 6:32 PM #3
Originally posted by Onimusha.:
What area do you live in?

Sprint service is abysmal in my area.. just absolutely god-awful.

I live in fairly urban Colorado, about an hour north of Boulder.
2008-12-21, 6:50 PM #4
G1?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-12-21, 7:21 PM #5
Definitely considered that one. However monthly price for voice and data is 30-40$ more with T-mobile than I could get with a Blackberry from Sprint.

Also haven't been able to find anything about TTS support on Android yet.
2008-12-21, 7:24 PM #6
The G1 is NOT a good device. Wait a few generations, the OS is solid but the hardware is terrible.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-12-21, 7:35 PM #7
This is the other way around.. but damned if it doesn't look hot:

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/vlingo/33798/
2008-12-21, 8:09 PM #8
I have a Palm Centro with Sprint- the coverage isn't as good as some other carriers in the area, but for the price I'm paying, I really shouldn't complain. Mobile internet FTW.
woot!
2008-12-21, 11:53 PM #9
I'm not important enough to need a blackberry so I have no concept of whether or not it would be worth it. I know a lot of people who have had problems with Sprint though.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2008-12-22, 12:13 AM #10
[http://www.21food.com/userImages/jinheyuanfood/jinheyuanfood$94105632.jpg]

so yummmy!!! sure you risk getting stuck by the thorns when you pick them, but damn are they worth it!
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2008-12-22, 2:00 AM #11
I have a blackberry, but with AT&T. I use mobile internet a lot when I'm working in the summers, so it was worth it for me to get so get email and so forth.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-23, 10:50 AM #12
I really did expect this to be about fruit.

The hell is a blackberry? :psyduck:
nope.
2008-12-23, 11:17 AM #13
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I really did expect this to be about fruit.

The hell is a blackberry? :psyduck:

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=blackberry&gbv=2
"You were probably a result of sabotage."

↑ Up to the top!