Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Am I too old to start this? (SHAMELESS YOUTUBE VIDEO PROMOTION)
Am I too old to start this? (SHAMELESS YOUTUBE VIDEO PROMOTION)
2008-12-24, 10:45 PM #41
I think what happydud is saying is don't be on roofs at all.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-12-24, 11:53 PM #42
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
I think what happydud is saying is don't be on roofs at all.

I interpret it as jumping off of roofs just to jump off... I mean if I were to hang from the edge and let, go that's a good 2m fall vs a 4m fall... a little more than my height, but I'm landing on soft grass and stuff. We also have a mat, but were not currently using it.

The reason I'm on the roof in the first place is to take some shots with a camera.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-12-25, 5:34 AM #43
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
What other exercises can I do to learn balance?

I thought you were a :ninja:.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-12-25, 7:11 AM #44
Originally posted by JM:
Wait. What the **** is an 8 year old doing in parkour? They already have death wishes.

Trained from early childhood to be the ultimate cat burglar!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-12-25, 7:28 PM #45
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I sort of have a small fear of heights,

This isn't a fear. This is millenia of darwanism at work.

Yes, if you ARE FORCED TO get down from somewhere high, use common sense. Is it better to say "oh well" and jump off, or minimize the distance by any means possible? Of course sit, turn, hang and then drop. You can decrease the distance by SEVEN TO EIGHT FEET depending on how tall you are. That's a huge decrease in force!

As for balance, look up Quadrupedal Movement and rail balancing.

The common rule of thumb is "no drops over chest height for a year." This is a bit of a smoke and mirrors approach though, because we hope that after a year of training Parkour, you'll be knowledgable enough not to want to take any big drops anymore. But, at the very least, give it a year at no higher than chest height.*
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2008-12-25, 8:21 PM #46
Yeah, thats what I read too... so, no high drops unless completely necessary... its not like I'm gonna take a ladder to the park every day...
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-12-25, 9:08 PM #47
also keep in mind, you shouldn't ever be in a situation where high drops are warranted. (Unless you get chased by the mexican mafia or something)
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!

↑ Up to the top!