Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Desktop won't boot
Desktop won't boot
2008-12-22, 4:57 PM #1
Well, kind of won't boot. Sounds like my motherboard died (or is dying) by what some of the other user reviews for the ECS NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI on newegg say. I came home from work today and my desktop had crashed, tried to reboot and it goes to the Vista loading screen, but takes a good 10 minutes from there. Doesn't even get to the login screen, it freezes during the loading process or (once) went to where the cursor appears on a black screen, then it Blue screens and reboots. I tried an installation repair but didn't work. Tried booting up a Linux liveCD, but I get errors after the loading screen or it'll boot, but be buggy (the mouse won't always respond and the keyboard will be laggy) and it freezes after a few minutes.

Just a few minutes ago I tried doing an installation repair again, but it wouldn't load get past the loading screen, then BSOD with a 'page fault in nonpaged area'

Looks like it's time to upgrade :/

Anyway, post your computer related woes.
2008-12-22, 4:59 PM #2
Try different RAM?

Windows Explorer has been crashing on me relatively frequently. It's annoying.
woot!
2008-12-22, 5:13 PM #3
I think the RAM is good, I tested it just last week and it gave no errors, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try again.
2008-12-22, 5:23 PM #4
Take out all expansion cards except what you need. Unplug all drives except what you need. See if that helps. Then plug each one back in until the problem comes back.

Unfortunately, I'm betting mostly everything is onboard, and the chances of an expansion card causing those types of failure isn't too high.

Once I had a modem that would make my PC hard lock every time the phone line rang. :carl:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-12-22, 5:31 PM #5
I tried booting with only the hard drive and video card (no, nothing I use is onboard except ethernet) after it wouldn't boot the first time. Nothing, won't even boot safe mode. Going through another memtest86 run to see if it's the RAM or not. Meanwhile I'm gonna salvage what data I can off the HD. :/
2008-12-22, 5:55 PM #6
How many sticks of RAM do you have? The only way to be really sure, in my experience, is to test each stick in each slot (or test them in a known good machine). I've had strange behavior on some systems where, the RAM is (apparently) fine, but the sticks only worked in certain slots. Run memtest in the right slots, 0 errors. Swap them around and WHOOA **** 237842 errors.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-12-22, 6:24 PM #7
Originally posted by Stormtrooper:
...but I get errors after the loading screen...

What errors, specifically, do you get?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2008-12-22, 7:04 PM #8
The errors in Linux was something about a logical error in hdc, it told a specific block but I can't remember what it was.

Memtest86 keeps stalling around 9%, so i'm gonna try doing each stick alone.
2008-12-22, 7:06 PM #9
4Gb Crucial DDR2-800 for $9.99 after $20 rebate from Frys.com. ;)
woot!

↑ Up to the top!