Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Vacuum Metalizing
Vacuum Metalizing
2004-08-16, 12:21 PM #1
Has anyone ever heard of this technology?

http://www.muellercorp.com/index.htm

They claim to be able to chrome plate plastic. I didn't know that was possible, but it makes me very happy. I am planning to shoot a medium budget action film next spring, and I need some custom guns. I plan to use airsoft gas blow back guns for the props, and I want my hero to have pistols with nickel plated slides. Or at least they need to look that way. Only problem is, I've picked the guns already, and they cost roughly 100 dollars a piece. But I don't know how much this metalizing process costs. So if anyone has ever heard of it at all, let me know what you know.

------------------
Change is never a choice. You change, and you are who you have become. And there's not a damned thing you can do about it.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-16, 12:27 PM #2
There are MANY other ways to make them look like metal, trust me. We've been doing it in film for quite a long time.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-16, 12:30 PM #3
metalic paint?

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-08-16, 12:37 PM #4
Metallic paint makes it look like silver paint. This looks like chrome.

------------------
Change is never a choice. You change, and you are who you have become. And there's not a damned thing you can do about it.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-16, 12:45 PM #5
there's still other ways. There's a slightly expensive type of paint (Probably 60 bucks for a galon) that does wonders. I'll ask my boss next time I see him what the type of paint is called. As well, you can find the same paint on computer modding sites.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-16, 12:49 PM #6
They already have that bright metallic-looking plastic. You see it virtually everywhere.

and IMO, guns look cooler when they're black or steel gunmetal gray instead of bright silver. if you spray paint a water pistol, it look real unless you get a close look at it.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 16, 2004).]
2004-08-16, 1:09 PM #7
But see page, that's the thing. It has to ACT like a real gun too. Meaning when you pull the trigger, the slide comes back. It's called blow back. And airsoft guns do it.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-16, 1:53 PM #8
GBBs do anyway. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Which guns did you get?

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-16, 2:22 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
IMO, guns look cooler when they're black or steel gunmetal gray instead of bright silver.
</font>

------------------
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-08-16, 2:32 PM #10
What types of guns are you going to see? There's also Electric Blow Backs but they have hardly the power of a GBB. The blow back feature I think is rather disappointing but they're half the price of a GBB.

Edit: Oh yeah, VacMetal's been around for awhile. They usually put a VacMetal finish on C-3PO figures.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"

[This message has been edited by Jedigreedo (edited August 16, 2004).]
2004-08-16, 3:12 PM #11
Get cheap airsofts. They can't be more than 40 bucks for pistols, and you can afford that better, I'd assume.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-16, 4:40 PM #12
You can do anything with paint these days. I have some chrome paint that, gets a chrome finish suprisingly. Just like real chrome. My new PC case has chrome buttons that are plastic underneith.

Actual metal plating is superior however. What's the melting point of chrome? You may even be able to hot dip high temperature plastics in chrome!

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-16, 5:03 PM #13
Silver Leaf rub 'n buff works very well for a realistic metal look. I'm thinking of going over my Mandalorian Armor with it.

"Rub 'n Buff® is a wax base metallic finish in a tube which sets up in about 30 minutes. It is a decorating, antiquing, and finishing medium which is a formulation of imported carnaube waxes, fine metallic powders, and selected pigments. It produces a unique finish that no paint can duplicate."

You can also look into what paint they use to chrome edging, and the like, on cars. A guy I knew from work had it done, and I doubt they could have hot-dipped or electro plated some of the parts he had done.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

[This message has been edited by Bounty Hunter 4 hire (edited August 16, 2004).]
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-08-16, 5:11 PM #14
I'm going to get two KWC 1911 Tactical pistols. They come with the all metal mock silencer. I want to chrome the slides on the guns and paint the frame black. I am going to go to Smith and Wesson's website and order some nice mother of pearl handgrips for them too. The guns are about a hundred dollars a piece, and the handgrips are 60 dollars per set.

The reason I am so skeptical about any kind of paint that "looks chrome" is because I want it to look like finely polished metal. It has to look PERFECT. These guns are going to be costarring in this movie if you know what I mean.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited August 16, 2004).]
>>untie shoes
2004-08-16, 5:17 PM #15
Double post... damn you admins!

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 16, 2004).]
2004-08-16, 5:18 PM #16
geez, what a bunch of gun nuts.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

> $100 for a movie prop? geez....

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-16, 5:26 PM #17
For a movie that pulls in 10 dollars per ticket, with at least 20 of your close friends watching it, and then anyone else who shows up. Let's say 40 people pay to see the movie. That's 400 dollars for one showing.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-16, 5:33 PM #18
It's going to be action the likes of which have never been seen too. You'll see.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-16, 8:32 PM #19
Right. I'll believe it when I see it.

If you're thinking of pulling better than Woo, you need to have millions...at least 2....

A Rhyme...interesting

------------------
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
2004-08-17, 1:38 PM #20
vacuum coating is what i do for a living.
metal. glass. all kinds of stuff.

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-08-17, 1:41 PM #21
How much would it cost to have it done to a plastic slide from an airsoft gun?

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 1:43 PM #22
sorry. dunno. we won't do just one thing like that.
my guess is about $100US.

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-08-17, 1:47 PM #23
You know you can buy chrome bodies or slides from airsoft sites...right?

In fact...most usually have chrome variations. Maybe not the KWC versions, but theres others out there. Though IMO, "Tactical" weaponry and chrome don't mix.

------------------
2004-08-17, 1:56 PM #24
I know "tactical" and chrome don't mix, but it's only called tactical because it has a threaded barrel for a mock silencer. And I've looked everywhere for an aluminum slide for the gun, and can't seem to find one. I don't feel like buying an expensive western arms gun and doing all that work on the slide and then having to jerry rig a threaded barrel. So I am looking into how to get this slide chromed. It's a high style movie. Then again I could always just get some nice WA guns, and have my main character have a silenced USP for the quiet kind of stuff.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 6:31 PM #25
Well here's an M945 produced by KWA/KSC. It's $119 at Airsoft Atlanta and all chrome.

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/images/silver_m945_jpg.jpg I'm sure you can toss a silencer on there or get a threaded barrel to do so.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!