Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Valkyrie
Valkyrie
2008-12-27, 3:54 PM #1
Anyone else saw this? What did you think of it? The movie seems to be getting some mixed reactions from some people. Though I'm not sure why some people thought Tom Cruise was terrible in this movie. I thought he did a good job.

Personally, I thought the movie was good (7/10). However, somehow I never felt much of a sense of urgency from watching the movie as oppose to watching The Dark Knight. The script was average; I wasn't impressed by it or put off by it. Pacing could be better as the movie doesn't really get too exciting until the plan starts moving.

Oh and that Gran Torino movie looks interesting. 2008 seems to be the year of the old men. We have a bunch of old guys such as Rambo, Indiana Jones, Solid Snake, and Clint Eastwood beating up a bunch of younger guys.
2008-12-27, 4:01 PM #2
It was a failed plot! They just tried to put a bomb behind a desk! They only made a movie about him because he wore an eye patch!
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2008-12-27, 4:03 PM #3
pirates wear eye patches. this is not a pirate movie.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-12-27, 4:08 PM #4
I swear I can't watch or listen to something without hearing an advert about Valkyrie. Same goes for Day the Earth Stood Still. Their advertising budget must be endless.

Gran Torino looks interesting and seems to have more character than the other two previously mentioned movie combined. Clint is a legend. A manly legend.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-27, 4:31 PM #5
Originally posted by sugarless5:
It was a failed plot! They just tried to put a bomb behind a desk! They only made a movie about him because he wore an eye patch!

Failed plots are where its at. So much the better if its carried out by a man with an eyepatch and a hook hand.

Dammit I bet he had a hook hand somewhere.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-12-27, 4:47 PM #6
So I'm guessing the real enemy in this movie is a mean table leg?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-27, 4:54 PM #7
I thought it was rather good. Much better than I expected. Tom Cruise was pretty average, but I thought the rest of the cast was really good, especially Kenneth Brannagh.

I think had they left out the scenes with his wife and children, the movie would've been a bit more tight and a bit more tense.

I enjoyed it though, worth my money for sure. It seemed a lot of the people in the theater had no clue about this attempt, and it seemed that the movie didn't stray too far from reality, so I thought it accomplished what it set out to do pretty well.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2008-12-27, 5:58 PM #8
Thanks for the spoilers sugahdahlin =p
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-12-27, 6:10 PM #9
Let me start off by saying I really wanted to like Valkyrie. God, did I want to like it. Bryan Singer, John Ottman, and Christopher McQuarrie reuniting (as a trio) for the first time since The Usual Suspects. Given that the story is relatively unknown (to American audiences), one still goes in knowing they obviously did not succeed. But the tension of the story is already written in that a lot of people do not know how it happened, or in fact as the movie shows, how close they got. In this aspect the film does not falter - but it takes 40 minutes to get to this point.

Most people will say the main problems with the movie are that Tom Cruise is speaking with an American accent. The film remedies this within its first five minutes and it becomes really a non-issue, it was more of an issue in the trailer than anything. The problem with Valkyrie is character empathy. It is not that is hard to empathize with a character who is a Nazi, it is hard to empathize with characters who are so one-dimensional. There is nothing about this movie that has depth to it. Sorry Singer, but a few hugs and kisses with the family does not make me care about them. Our only thing to use in order to gain empathy is the following statement: Hitler is bad, killing Hitler is the right idea, those who are killing Hitler are good. That just is not enough.

Valkyrie is not a bad movie, it just is not a great movie. It has beautiful cinematography and editing, however.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-12-27, 8:29 PM #10
did bryan singer finally do something wrong? or is he still perfect?
2008-12-27, 9:00 PM #11
I didn't think it was bad, I just didn't think it was great.

I mean, 300 technically was a movie about a failed plot. Does that mean it sucked?
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-12-27, 9:14 PM #12
Same with Zodiac. You KNOW going in that the case was never solved, but it was still a damn good movie.

Originally posted by Couchman:
did bryan singer finally do something wrong? or is he still perfect?

To be fair, I really like him as a director but the only films I like from him are The Usual Suspects, X-Men, and X2. And he brought me the wonderful show that is House.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-12-27, 9:41 PM #13
Originally posted by sugarless5:

Gee, this might have something to do with the fact that it's more a historical reenactment than the typical absurd hollywood plot.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-12-28, 10:11 AM #14
Saw it last night. I kind of expected a train wreck, so I was very pleasantly surprised.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-12-28, 2:38 PM #15
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Same with Zodiac. You KNOW going in that the case was never solved, but it was still a damn good movie.

To be fair, I really like him as a director but the only films I like from him are The Usual Suspects, X-Men, and X2. And he brought me the wonderful show that is House.

i hope house has at least 5 more seasons, i cant get enough

↑ Up to the top!