Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Trying to find specs on an old camera...
Trying to find specs on an old camera...
2008-12-29, 12:14 AM #1
A cousin of mine has given me his old Sony CCD - FX630. It has a couple problems, but it works. Its hi8, but I think there might be ways to get more quality.

I can't seem to find specs on this camera, and the manual is very brief, and I didn't find all I wanted.

Now, I was wondering... regarding video quality, essentially if I hook up the camera to a VCR, and record the input on a vhs, the quality increases correct?

Whats the maximum quality that I can squeeze out of this camera, as far as picture clarity goes?

I've tried working with greenscreens on hi8 cameras, the results usually have lots of green spill, due to lighting issues or video quality.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-12-29, 12:22 AM #2
Uh, what? You're asking if you convert from HI-8 to VHS the quality will increase?

Um, no?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-12-29, 12:29 AM #3
1080p baby!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-12-29, 12:33 AM #4
From what I can tell, Hi8 will get you standard NTSC TV, which is 720x480. In no way, shape or form will you ever gain quality by converting to VHS. For starters, it's an analog conversion, and analog conversions always result in loss of data. Second, any VCRs you own probably have ****ty heads that won't be nearly as good as the camera itself.
2008-12-29, 12:52 AM #5
Originally posted by Emon:
From what I can tell, Hi8 will get you standard NTSC TV, which is 720x480. In no way, shape or form will you ever gain quality by converting to VHS. For starters, it's an analog conversion, and analog conversions always result in loss of data. Second, any VCRs you own probably have ****ty heads that won't be nearly as good as the camera itself.

Just to make sure were talking about the same thing, when I say record to VHS, I mean by, using the RCA out connecting it into the line in, then push the record button as whatever is to be filmed is done infront of the camera.

If this is what you are referring to, then ok, nevermind, but I got the impression you mean't that I was going to first record to Hi8 then convert to VHS.
2008-12-29, 12:54 AM #6
Either way it doesn't matter. Hi8 is better than VHS.

You'll get the best quality by recording Hi8 and then converting it to digital with a card that can has a video in, such as a TV capture card or a ViVo-capable video card.
2008-12-29, 1:21 AM #7
Originally posted by Emon:
Either way it doesn't matter. Hi8 is better than VHS.

You'll get the best quality by recording Hi8 and then converting it to digital with a card that can has a video in, such as a TV capture card or a ViVo-capable video card.

I own a Pinnacle PCTV 110i... not exactly the best. I use virtual dub to capture with.

↑ Up to the top!