Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ron Mueck, sculptor
Ron Mueck, sculptor
2008-12-29, 2:12 PM #1
http://paintalicious.org/2007/09/14/ron-mueck-hyper-realist-sculptor/

Anybody heard of this guy? Some of his stuff is freaking awesome (and slightly disturbing.)
Attachment: 20858/rm1.jpg (42,680 bytes)
Attachment: 20859/rm2.jpg (39,359 bytes)
2008-12-29, 2:38 PM #2
HAX
:psyduck:
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2008-12-29, 2:46 PM #3
Gollum as a child?

This guy is amazing.
Attachment: 20860/boy.jpg (81,039 bytes)
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-12-29, 4:20 PM #4
It's technically excellent, but most of it doesn't seem to communicate any kind of useful message.
2008-12-29, 4:48 PM #5
Eh? You want to be hand-given a message?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-29, 4:52 PM #6
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
It's technically excellent, but most of it doesn't seem to communicate any kind of useful message.

art lol
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-12-29, 5:05 PM #7
yeah some of his stuff deserves a

[http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o149/SgtPnkks/what-has-been-seen.jpg]
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2008-12-29, 6:09 PM #8
Originally posted by mb:
art lol

No, that's the point. Art, by definition, communicates something beyond the rendition of its subject matter.
2008-12-29, 6:12 PM #9
And his works doesn't in some way or form?

I mean, the way I see it, it isn't just "turn small objects big." It clearly trying to capture something about the human condition and magnifying it.
2008-12-29, 6:40 PM #10
Quote:
No, that's the point. Art, by definition, communicates something beyond the rendition of its subject matter.
Everything that is wrong with western philosophy and thinking in general. Right there.
2008-12-29, 6:40 PM #11
Or in short.

YOU CAN'T DEFINE ART.

I mean.

Really.
2008-12-29, 6:47 PM #12
old news is old
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-12-29, 6:54 PM #13
Art for art's sake.
2008-12-29, 7:02 PM #14
Originally posted by Vin:
Art for art's sake.

This--if nothing else, one can interpret a "simple rendition of the subject matter" as celebration, on some level, of human perception and artistic ability
2008-12-29, 7:04 PM #15
Originally posted by JM:
Or in short.

YOU CAN'T DEFINE ART.

I mean.

Really.

Exactly.
I really like it. makes me think of Salvador Dali for some reason.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-12-29, 7:08 PM #16
Originally posted by JM:
Everything that is wrong with western philosophy and thinking in general. Right there.

Why?

Quote:
Or in short.

YOU CAN'T DEFINE ART.

I mean.

Really.

Well, you have to. Otherwise, how can you say this post not greater art than the entire works of Pablo Picasso? In order to judge something, you have to have standards by which you judge it. These standards come from the definition. The worse your definition, the less reasonable your critique.

I suppose you could say that the term "art" is very broad, or that that the word denotes many different concepts. In the end, though, something that can't be defined is really nothing at all, again, by definition.
2008-12-29, 7:17 PM #17
Well, you have to. Otherwise, how can you say this post not greater art than the entire works of Pablo Picasso? In order to judge something, you have to have standards by which you judge it. These standards come from the definition. The worse your definition, the less reasonable your critique.

You honestly live by some obtuse universal standards on "good art"?
2008-12-29, 7:36 PM #18
Quote:
Art is subjective.

Quote:
I suppose you could say that the term "art" is very broad, or that that the word denotes many different concepts.
See above.

Quote:
In the end, though, something that can't be defined is really nothing at all, again, by definition.
This is the wisest thing you have ever said.
2008-12-29, 7:39 PM #19
There has to be some kind of standard weather you admit to using one or not. Otherwise the concept has no meaning. For example, you might say that art is something that communicates and idea or an emotion, and then you could evaluate both the emotion or idea communicated and how well it is communicated.

Regardless, it's totally irrational to say that something exists that cannot be defined. It doesn't really make sense to say that you have an undefined set numbers, because a set is a definition. This is the exact same thing. There isn't just some magical essence that runs through life to give things meaning outside of reason.

Originally posted by JM:
Art is subjective.

Ahh, now see that fits the bill a whole lot better than saying that art can't be defined. That just says that the definition is different for each person, which I suppose works to a point, but I think there has to be some objective aspects to it as well, but then, that's not really something that you can actually argue one way or another. Perhaps it is indicative of the word art refers too many different ideas and looses usefulness after too much examination.

I really would have to argue that is both a subjective and objective nature to art, but that perhaps the two should have different words to describe them. This would be a cool thing to read about seeing how little I know of the subject.
2008-12-29, 7:45 PM #20
Attachment: 20864/art.png (22,580 bytes)
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-12-29, 8:11 PM #21
Obi, there are generaly accepted rules such as the rule of thirds, some color theory, but in vast majoirty it's all subjective.

In my opinion, whether art has some specific message is purely secondary. It can enhance art but is in no way neccessary.

I really like this guy's art purely on it's aesthetic qualities.
I have a degree in art and all of my classes have assured me that art is 90% subjective. In my classes I tried to create 'good' art with came down to making something the profesor liked.
My art history classes tought me that the definition of art changes every generation usually as a reaction to the previous definition.

[edit]Oh, and if you really enjoy talking endlessly about the definition of art, picking every little thing apart for no good reason and interting meanings into things which the artist in no way intended then you should become an art history major.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-12-29, 8:35 PM #22

Actually no, that's not the definition of art.
2008-12-29, 10:48 PM #23
Yeah I think you're starting from an incorrect assumption, Obi.

But even if you weren't, Thrawn's point more than addresses yours.

I've seen a couple of these in person... Untitled (Seated Woman) is at the Fort Worth Modern Art Museum (or at least used to be)
2008-12-31, 2:41 PM #24
Art is useless and a waste of time.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2008-12-31, 2:44 PM #25
Originally posted by JM:
Or in short.

YOU CAN'T DEFINE ART.

I mean.

Really.

art is your life
2008-12-31, 2:59 PM #26
I think I saw that crouching boy one at ARoS in Denmark. Good stuff!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-12-31, 6:08 PM #27
Originally posted by Crimson:
Art is useless and a waste of time.

Says the guy with lyrics in his signature...

↑ Up to the top!