Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Color in the dark
Color in the dark
2008-12-31, 1:01 AM #1
Is there a reason why I see a bunch of floating colors when I'm in a dark room? It's not enough to distort what I see, but it's sort of like a bunch of static in a picture. It's hard to describe but I was wondering if other people here see the same thing.

2008-12-31, 1:10 AM #2
It happens to everyone during sensory deprivation. When your senses are receiving very little or no input, your brain makes things up to fill in the gaps, so to say. It happens with hearing too, if you put yourself into a situation where there are no sounds to hear, you will star to hear stuff anyways, for the same reason.

I go caving as a hobby, and we always turn our lights off in caves where there is no natural light at all- no matter how long you wait, your eyes will never adjust enough to see. You can waive your hand in front of your face and not see it. After only a few minutes, you start to think you can see light, but it's just your brain making stuff up.

While working as a backcountry Forest Ranger this summer, it happened to me with sound a few times- there were times when 3, 4, or even 5 days would go by and I wouldn't see a single other person in the woods. A couple of times, I could've sworn that I heard a group of hikers chatting as they were coming down the trail, but they never came- I'm pretty sure that my brain was inventing the sound of humans talking, a sound that I was normally quite used to hearing but had gone without for an extended period of time. Either that, or I'm schizophrenic.
2008-12-31, 1:37 AM #3
Stars of the Lid is named for this phenomenon. It is actually quite normal.
I'm just a little boy.
2008-12-31, 2:42 PM #4
Originally posted by DSettahr:
While working as a backcountry Forest Ranger this summer, it happened to me with sound a few times- there were times when 3, 4, or even 5 days would go by and I wouldn't see a single other person in the woods. A couple of times, I could've sworn that I heard a group of hikers chatting as they were coming down the trail, but they never came- I'm pretty sure that my brain was inventing the sound of humans talking, a sound that I was normally quite used to hearing but had gone without for an extended period of time. Either that, or I'm schizophrenic.

You're officially a crazy mountain man! Maybe you weren't really in the woods! :tinfoil:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-12-31, 3:42 PM #5

Wouldn't you typically have like a radio to listen to/communicate with other people when you are away for that long?
2008-12-31, 4:02 PM #6
yea i see the same thing. as well as those floaties.
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2008-12-31, 4:15 PM #7
Originally posted by Connection Problem:
Wouldn't you typically have like a radio to listen to/communicate with other people when you are away for that long?

Yeah, I had a radio, but it was for official stuff only. I usually only used to to sign in in the morning and sign out in the afternoon.
2008-12-31, 6:08 PM #8
I'm schizophrenic.

This.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

↑ Up to the top!