Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Free Laptop! (For me)
Free Laptop! (For me)
2004-08-17, 2:33 PM #1
So...

My Grandparents, being the loving Grandparents that they are, are getting me a laptop for me to use in College.

I get to decide what to get.

They haven't *technically* set a price limit, but since they're my grandparents, I don't want to be a jerk and get something really expensive.

I want it to have a lot of word processing power... in case I have a lot of words... to... process...

So, kind Nerdly Massassians: Do you know of any sweet deals. What kin'a specs shoulda git?

------------------
"Your entire base belongs to us."
"It would be highly appreciated if someone would set the bomb up for us"
"Launch all of our ships, christened 'Zigs', to insure that justice will be achieved swiftly and powerfully."
"Launch all of our ships, christened 'Zigs', to insure that justice will be achieved swiftly and powerfully."
2004-08-17, 2:39 PM #2
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Janitor Bob:
I want it to have a lot of word processing power... in case I have a lot of words... to... process...
</font>

*slap*

Get an Alienware! Maybe an older one.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-17, 2:50 PM #3
Make makes some pretty good laptops, and they cost a little bit less than the Alienwares

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-17, 2:57 PM #4
Get an apple or something similar. Runs well, light, can't play games (no distractions). If you try running games on a laptop you'll be disapointed anyways chances are. Just my advice, good luck in college. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-08-17, 2:59 PM #5
Don't bother with anything Alienware; it's all overpriced. If you're seriously looking for a good value laptop, go Dell. If you want something more along the lines of desktop replacement (i.e. it's heavy and has low battery life), go with a Sager. They're very high-powered.

------------------
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
Capitalization
Commas
Periods
Question Marks
Apostrophes
Confusable Words
Plague Words
2004-08-17, 3:28 PM #6
My main advice is to go with something Pentium M based. You'll get much better battery life than anything else (especially something P4 based), but still have a powerful processor.

Second thing is to do research on size and native resolution of the screen you get. Don't necessarily go for the screen with the highest native resolution because it may be too high for your tastes.

Lots of the other factors all really just depend on your personal preference. Is small size/weight worth more than power and battery life? Etc.
2004-08-17, 3:33 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth:
...You'll get much better battery life than anything else...</font>

Err, no, not really. VIA's Eden chip is the current king of battery life...

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-17, 3:34 PM #8
Well, anything mainstream and up to par with a P4 or Athlon XP in power...
2004-08-17, 3:42 PM #9
I hate Dell, but... *salivates*

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-17, 3:59 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LonelyDagger:
Get an apple or something similar. Runs well, light, can't play games (no distractions). If you try running games on a laptop you'll be disapointed anyways chances are. Just my advice, good luck in college. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]</font>

What are you talking about? High end gaming laptops can handle UT2004, Painkiller, etc quite easily (aka. 100fps+ max settings).

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-08-17, 4:04 PM #11
Yea, but he doesn't want to rob his grandparents blind. Gaming laptops are such a waste of money for the price. You might as well buy the fragbox.
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-08-17, 4:59 PM #12
You can get an Athlon64 laptop for under $1500 USD from Compaq.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-17, 5:04 PM #13
I've got a Dell Inspiron 8600, and it rocks hardcore. Pentium M gives it the best battery life of Dell's high-end laptops, and it runs most games just fine. Of course, if you want your laptop to have Real Ultimate Power, get the XPS that finity5 posted. A friend of mine who's majoring in architecture has one of those, and the graphics capabilities and such are very impressive.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-08-17, 5:04 PM #14
Get either a decent laptop from HP for cheap, which'll do more than everything you need, or buy a gaming PC from Dell for around 1500. Up to you.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-17, 5:10 PM #15
If you want something that'll run some games, get one woth an Itegrated Ati 9700...

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-08-17, 6:45 PM #16
Battery life is more of an issue than an exquisite gaming experience, to me. I'd like it to be around 1000*, preferably.

*dollars

------------------
2004-08-17, 6:48 PM #17
Dude, Dell.

------------------
crap happens...
2004-08-17, 7:03 PM #18
Quote:

</font>

In that case, get a pencil and a clipboard. it would be cheaper than a laptop for what you need to do. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-17, 9:08 PM #19
compaq or hp.

dude, dell's suck.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-08-17, 10:31 PM #20
Quote:
My Grandparents, being the loving Grandparents that they are, are getting me a laptop for me to use in College.</font>
You. Suck.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-18, 12:11 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elana14:
compaq or hp.

dude, dell's suck.

</font>

1) Dell computers do not suck.

2) Both Compaq andHP computers suck. A lot. Of things. They suck a lot of things. Hard. And since they're the same company, they suck twice as much and hard.

------------------
Baby Mama's Drama
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2004-08-18, 1:14 AM #22
Zully speaks the truth, as he often does.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-18, 3:26 AM #23
Open up your local classified ads, I can usually find some pretty sweet deals in there on computers and such.

------------------
I felt like destroying something beautiful.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2004-08-18, 4:44 AM #24
Dude, get a Dell.
2004-08-18, 5:13 AM #25
Don't get the alienware laptop unless you plan to use it plugged in. it has a 1 hr 45 min battery life.
Oh, and it's freakin huge.

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-08-18, 5:16 AM #26
Damnit, as much as I despise having to agree with Zul, he is right. While Dell may suck, their suckage is far less than that of HP or Compaq.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
I hate Dell, but... *salivates*</font>

Dude, that thing is HUGE. The only thing that could be used for is a desktop replacement. For a laptop to be really useful, it needs to be portable, which means it needs to be small and light. Computing power is deliberately traded for battery life. Hell, even having an onboard cdrom or floppy adds an unacceptable amount of weight.

Ive got a Dell Latitude c400. Its small, lightweight, and most importantly, easily defenestrated. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
2004-08-18, 6:07 AM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lordvader:
Don't bother with anything Alienware; it's all overpriced. If you're seriously looking for a good value laptop, go Dell. If you want something more along the lines of desktop replacement (i.e. it's heavy and has low battery life), go with a Sager. They're very high-powered.

</font>

The reason Alienware machines are so costly is not just because of the kit you eventually receive - it's the support you're buying into afterwards. I've heard it's 24/7/365 and any, yes any issue regarding your machine will be dealt with (so if you can't get a game running etc. etc.) [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

How to keep an idiot busy: See below
How to keep an idiot busy: See above
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-18, 6:09 AM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
...easily defenestrated. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

</font>

God I love that word - but are we talking throwing it out of the window or removing Windows from it?

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

How to keep an idiot busy: See below
How to keep an idiot busy: See above
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-18, 12:30 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gee_4ce:
...are we talking throwing it out of the window or removing Windows from it?</font>

Err, the later...

------------------
2004-08-18, 12:34 PM #30
well, If you had a neverending hole (thats somehow filled with money dispite that its never ending) you could get a nice freakin alienware laptop... however...

Dell does make nice laptops, As does Sony(Viao). HP and Compaq are lower end IMO but make decent stuff, since they are the same company anyways, it really doesnt matter which you buy, they will be equally good/crappy.

I'm not a mac person, dont like apple, never will.

------------------
"Ahhhh!! I'm Burnin'! I'm Burnin!!!" - Cleaner from Max Payne 2

"Why are they called headphones... why not... Headspeakers?" - finity5
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2004-08-18, 1:22 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
For a laptop to be really useful, it needs to be portable, which means it needs to be small and light.</font>
Only if you're weak and un-big.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-18, 1:27 PM #32
Laptops are fine big--10 pounds, which is I think around the maximum most gaming laptops get, isn't that heavy. In a backpack or laptop-bag, it's almost unnoticeable. Unless you're just weak [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!