Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Do you find Luke's hallucinative encounter with Vader in the cave creepy?
Do you find Luke's hallucinative encounter with Vader in the cave creepy?
2009-01-10, 12:36 PM #1
It was in Empire Strikes Back. I haven't watched it in quite a while, but I just always found that scene creepy, even scary when I was younger!

Also, I'd be too much of a wuss to go in that cave. Has the scene ever been recreated in a game or a game mod?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-01-10, 12:42 PM #2
I didn't like the whole Mark Hammil's face thing.
nope.
2009-01-10, 12:46 PM #3
That always did creep me out
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-01-10, 4:27 PM #4
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I didn't like the whole Mark Hammil's face thing.

To this day, I still don't fully understand that. I suppose it was him seeing himself as vader, some sort of "I might turn into that if I join the dark side" type of thing. Not a clue lol

And no, I don't really think it's creepy...
2009-01-10, 4:29 PM #5
I find it a creep scene.

I'm not sure whether George wanted to show Luke's relationship to Vader or if he wanted to show the chance Luke might turn to the dark side, maybe both...
2009-01-10, 4:31 PM #6
Or just an attempt at DEEP SYMBOLISM.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-01-10, 4:38 PM #7
Maybe, deep down inside... we're all Vader.
2009-01-10, 4:41 PM #8
:awesome:
nope.
2009-01-10, 4:43 PM #9
Of course, everyone has a little bit of the darkside in their hearts.
2009-01-10, 5:06 PM #10
Sometimes i would do anything for Force Choke/Push
2009-01-10, 6:40 PM #11
Originally posted by Cloud:
Of course, everyone has a little bit of the darkside in their hearts.

everyone's a little bit racist somtimes
it doesn't mean we go around committing hate crimes
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-01-10, 8:15 PM #12
I thought it was Leia's face when I was a kid. I was waiting for her to turn out to be the bad guy.
2009-01-10, 8:44 PM #13
lawl at sex change
2009-01-10, 8:53 PM #14
For some odd reason, Star Wars is one of those movies I never actually watch from from start to finish, or pay attention for 100% of the film. (I have a horrible attention span, I rarely completely watch movies). I've probably only seen this particular scene 3 times. I never did like it, though.
2009-01-10, 8:56 PM #15
It was just an oddly placed scene, i dont know if i really liked it or thought it was really pertinent. It only lasted for about a minute or so, so I actually forgot about it til I just read it here. Usually the first think think of when I think episode V is AT-ATs.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-01-10, 9:08 PM #16
i have no problems with that scene

i wonder if yoda went in there for fun sometimes
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-01-10, 9:17 PM #17
What would Yoda have seen?
(A sexy she-Yoda trying to seduce him?)
2009-01-10, 9:20 PM #18
I thought it was creepy that he made out with his sister.

And isn't yaddle a she yoda?

2009-01-10, 9:32 PM #19
To be honest, I always thought that whole scene felt out of place. I guess it was to show how strange Dagobah and the Force is, but it always felt like just a CAVE of MYSTERY for me.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-01-11, 12:42 AM #20
its where Yoda goes to smoke his stash... Luke just happened to come upon it and his stash ;)
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-01-11, 7:21 AM #21
Yeah seriously that scene had nothing to do with the rest of the series and made no sense whatsoever. Nor was it ever properly explained. Awesome.
DO NOT WANT.
2009-01-11, 8:19 AM #22
Yeah, I find it creepy. Not scary but still rather chilly (even though after watching the films a few hundred times nothing in them really makes me feel anything).

That part in Pinocchio where he's at the ... boy camp.... and the other boy (who's drinking beer or something WTF) starts turning into a donkey... now that's creepy as hell.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-01-11, 8:46 AM #23
Apparently Yoda's gimmer stick (the cane) is hallucinogenic if chewed.

Also, all of SW should have been a series of hallucinations like this. The whole thing could have been a freeform, stream-of-consciousness "liiiive the foooorce" flick!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2009-01-11, 9:49 AM #24
I wonder what Yoda sees in there
2009-01-11, 4:26 PM #25
and now this scene is playing on Spike

**** yes, awesome
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-01-11, 7:47 PM #26
To Luke the scene is just basically showing what will happen to him if he doesn't shape up. Luke isn't really listening to Yoda too well at this point, and he hates Vader for killing his father. The 'only thing he takes with him' to the cave is his hate for Vader. So it's bascially just saying if he continues to follow that path, he will become the same as Vader.

It also literally means he will become the same as Vader if he continues down that path. Luke of course doesn't know of either of the destinies Vader and Palpatine have planned for him, or that Vader is his father, so that part is missed by Luke.
2009-01-11, 8:31 PM #27
The hallucination is created by Luke's own mind. It's his subconscious voicing his worst fear (That he is like Vader) by showing him as Vader. It really has nothing to do with his future, it's all about Luke overcoming fear. (Because fear leads to anger or some such nonsense.)
2009-01-11, 9:37 PM #28
Originally posted by JM:
The hallucination is created by Luke's own mind. It's his subconscious voicing his worst fear (That he is like Vader) by showing him as Vader. It really has nothing to do with his future, it's all about Luke overcoming fear. (Because fear leads to anger or some such nonsense.)

But Yoda specifically told Luke he failed the test at the cave. "The cave, remember your failure at the cave." Luke's motives in confronting Vader is more about revenge than anything else really.

It's a test by Yoda because Luke just isn't 'getting it'. Yoda tells Luke that a Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack. Luke responds with "but why can't I" abruptly interrupted by Yoda telling him "No no there is no why!". With that kind of attitude Luke was heading down a path that would lead to the dark side, as the cave demonstrated to him.
2009-01-11, 9:54 PM #29
I peed in my pants when I first saw this scene.
2009-01-11, 9:54 PM #30
I'm talking about this thread btw.
2009-01-12, 4:59 PM #31
I always thought that the scene meant that Luke is his own worst enemy.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-01-12, 5:12 PM #32
I guess it creeped me out when I was a kid... but now I don't really think twice about it when I watch it.
2009-01-12, 11:59 PM #33
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Has the scene ever been recreated in a game or a game mod?

in Battlefront 2 you can fight on Dagobah and enter the cave. My brother told me hes heard darth vader's breathing in the background but i have yet to experience it.
"You were probably a result of sabotage."

↑ Up to the top!