Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → more display issues
more display issues
2009-01-10, 10:13 PM #1
So I got the DVI working and the ATI drivers up to date and now I'm getting another headache..

Older games, specificially JK, won't let me choose a resolution above 800x600. Hell they won't even display a resolution above it as an option to select. KOTOR completely crashed upon startup.... W.. T.. F..???? I've messed around with every possible option in the HP and ATI drivers and have come up with nothing, absolutely nothing. What the hell is going on?

Any ideas would be great. Getting pissed and regretting my switch to LCD now.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-01-10, 10:36 PM #2
IIRC you have to select 'enable 3D acceleration' in the JK setup menu to get high-res stuff in the list.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-01-10, 10:41 PM #3
...........yeah I know that.

just tried reinstalling the drivers fresh, and it worked for one reboot, but as soon as I rebooted again it went back to the same crap.

I wish I had money to just buy the 4870 right now....
-Martyn
2009-01-11, 8:26 AM #4
It could be a monitor setting. Does Windows identify the monitor correctly, or is it using something like Generic LCD (Resolution)? DirectX might believe that your monitor doesnt support a higher resolution at the current refresh rate, and thats why its limiting your options.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-01-11, 9:57 AM #5
Do you have vista? If so, the KOTOR crash upon starting the game is quite common. Make sure you have the 1.03b patch (here) and make sure that you have the game set to run as administrator in the executable properties.
2009-01-11, 11:29 AM #6
Quote:
It could be a monitor setting. Does Windows identify the monitor correctly, or is it using something like Generic LCD (Resolution)? DirectX might believe that your monitor doesnt support a higher resolution at the current refresh rate, and thats why its limiting your options.

Yeah, it finds it alright, I've even got it set at 60hz override also. =/

Quote:
Do you have vista? If so, the KOTOR crash upon starting the game is quite common. Make sure you have the 1.03b patch (here) and make sure that you have the game set to run as administrator in the executable properties.

Nope XP pro.

Could it be because I'm using DVI? I don't know at this rate.. I'm ready to just buy a new card.
-Martyn
2009-01-11, 11:50 AM #7
Don't get the HD 4870 if you want to play JK. JK doesn't work with it. In fact, neither do modern nVidia cards. If you want to play JK you might get a PCI card to use just for it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-01-11, 12:21 PM #8
My GTX-260 plays JK perfectly, but it does seem to be hit or miss with any new cards. Alot of people report the Nvidia 8xxx/9xxx series run JK in some hybrid 3d accelerated mode similar to the software render but supporting 16bit colors and at much lower framerates (60 fps) than the hardware should be able to provide.

I could never get my 4850 to do hardware 3D in JK without massive screen tearing.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-01-11, 1:10 PM #9
Quote:
Don't get the HD 4870 if you want to play JK. JK doesn't work with it. In fact, neither do modern nVidia cards. If you want to play JK you might get a PCI card to use just for it.

Yeah I remember that now. Still it would be nice if I could get ANY of my older games to play in a decent resolution.
-Martyn
2009-01-11, 7:29 PM #10
Technically those card are just not supporting directx7 very well. JK uses directx in some odd ways to implement the portal algorithm in hardware.
2009-01-11, 8:06 PM #11
I was going to try it with my 9600GT, but apparently I don't have JK installed.
woot!
2009-01-12, 12:25 AM #12
I read the topic as "more display jesus"

2009-01-13, 10:28 AM #13
When using an 8800GT (and 9800GTX), me and xXcloneXx came to the conclusion that your game is indeed very CPU bound.

His 3.4 GHz Intel gave him 60 FPS solid at 1650x1080, while my AMD 2.2GHz only got me 45FPS at 1280x1024.

Lower resolutions didn't seem to change much, unless we went into 8bit mode, where we saw frames of 200 and above, xXcloneXx reaching 480FPS at 640x480.

ATI won't play JK anymore. I say, if you want the best performance, get a higher end DX9 card (PCI) and use that.
2009-01-13, 10:38 AM #14
Originally posted by JM:
Technically those card are just not supporting directx7 very well. JK uses directx in some odd ways to implement the portal algorithm in hardware.

JK uses DirectX 5.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!