Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Lan games?
Lan games?
2009-01-12, 7:04 AM #1
Having a lan this weekend, and need more lan games, or online games. Internet is 21mbit, so hopefully it should be able to handle a few people using it.

Other than that, if anyone knows a good site to locate online games, news about how many people are playing what online etc. I'm not so interested in the latest graphical-wiz-bang, but more in finding games where there are guaranteed to be people playing it at all hours. Things like the 3D rebuild of Total Annihilation that was done a couple of years ago (Spring), although the community is getting smaller for that now.

But anyway, some lan game recommendations:

Dune Emperor, not particularly great missions, or a particularly good RTS, but you can play through the SP campaign in co-op with one other person.

NFS Underground 2, good fun in Outrun mode when you all take similar speed cars. It then becomes more of a free-play chasey, rather than just driving through so-so maps.

CoD: World at War, will probably be playing more of this next weekend, could be a bit longer, and wouldn't mind some different theatres to pacific/eastern front, but still a good game. I think it can handle co-op up to 4 people.

System Shock 2, most of you already know this, but for those that don't, another good co-op FPS. Get the Rebirth and Shtup mods for it for slightly better graphics/sound.

Quake, download the Fuhquake client, and the Frogbot Clan Arena mod(FBCA), it will take some setting up with FBCA, but you can get some team deathmatch games going against pretty intelligent bots.

Return of the King, not a fantastic game by any means, but is a good co-op hack n' slash for two people.

Ultima Online, if you have an old CD lying around, there are still a tonne of free user-run server's online. A lot of them have low user-bases though, and a lot of them are RPG/Coloured-items focussed.

Doom 3, good co-op mod for this is Last Man Standing, can play either the Doom 3 campaign co-op, or the first 9 Doom levels which have been converted.

Operation Flashpoint, can be good fun co-op, but very finicky to get working, and just as difficult to find decent maps.

Baldurs Gate, you should all know this one again, along with the NWN/IWD games.

X-Wing vs TIE Fighter (and BoP), can be played co-op, although you will need joysticks. The BoP campaign is also completely co-op.

Age of Empires II, another good RTS for playing against the AI.

Spring, essentially Total Annihilation rebuilt in a 3D engine, great fun online, although I think the community has gotten a bit smaller.

Quake 2, get hold of the Q2 patches, Q2 CTF 1.5 patch (and upgrade patch), then Eraser Bot 1.01 mod, and maybe BotJohnny 2.31 (to help setup the server/bot settings) and you can get some good CTF games going with mostly intelligent bots as team-mates/opponents.

Descent Freespace, another space-sim, the campaign can be played co-op, although you'll need joysticks.

Rainbow 6 -> Vegas, they're all pretty good, all co-op and generally improve with each new iteration.

Diablo 1/2, Dungeon Siege 1/2, a bit hack n' slash, but ok after a few beers.

Team Apache/Lock On, not to everyone's taste but probably on the lighter end as far as non-console flight-sims go. Missions can be played co-op.

Quake 3, UT, UT2k3, can setup CTF games, or team deathmatch, but gets a bit boring without a large contingent of human players.

Dawn of War/Company of Heroes, couple of the best RTS's I've played for a while, very good when playing against AI.

Commando's 2, starts off very well, but after a while you have enough guns to be able to avoid the subterfuge aspects, and just cut straight to blowing everything away, but is good before that.

Jedi Knight, can't forget this one, very good with co-op mod.

Age of Mythology, Red Alert, Starcraft, Warcraft 2, Dune 2000, Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, CnC Generals, CnC3, Dark Reign, Age of Empires 3, (and about 30 others I haven't played or don't remember), can all be played against the AI.

Doom, Doom 2, Duke3D, Heretic etc, probably played them at some stage, but they were good way back when. Try zdoom for some slightly better graphics, and the ability to look up.

Battlefield 1942, get hold of the Battlegroup42 mod to add a large number of maps, tanks and weapons. Ok to play against bots, but you do need to put a lot of them on some maps.

Serious Sam / Serious Sam 2, definitely best played after beer.

Some I haven't had much luck with, post up if you've tried a later version and it works better:
Half-life SvenCo-op, you get stuck a quarter of the way through the game at the rocket-fuel area as the mod can't remember game settings from one map to another.

Jedi Academy (OJP mod) co-op, won't run on version 1.00 and crashes fairly soon on JA 1.01?

MechWarrior 4 BK co-op mod, supposedly the campaign but it starts up in different maps where lots of heavy/assault mechs run at you and then the mission ends before the semi-obscene number of mechs have killed you.
2009-01-12, 7:12 AM #2
Starcraft?
2009-01-12, 7:13 AM #3
Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory are pretty much always being played on dedicated servers.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2009-01-12, 8:43 AM #4
Freespace/Freespace 2 can be played with keyboard and mouse.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-01-12, 9:04 AM #5
Any Steam games will work as LAN games with only one Steam account but you need to follow some guidelines:

1) Make sure you trust everyone attending not to screw with your account. I don't think you can change password or e-mail but they can still do stuff like buy games.. umm... with their credit cards... or give away your gifts and guest passes, or modify your Steam Cloud settings (L4D) or add/delete to your friends list.

2) Launch a game before logging in another computer. You may have to run the game in a window if Steam's "This account has been logged in from another location" window presents problems. Ignore that window and don't click the buttons on it. The game should run fine in LAN mode.

3) Make sure to turn sv_lan on on the listen server or LAN dedicated server or else Steam will disconnect everyone (including the listen server player) after a few minutes.

I've only really done this in GoldSource games, so I can't guarantee Source games will work but they should. No Steam server communication should be done in LAN mode...

Other than that... OpenArena and Nexuiz are fun and free Q3A engine games that would work for LAN parties.

2009-01-12, 9:15 AM #6
I've always wanted to have lan party where everyone there joined a public server for DoD or CS or something like that, and played on the same team together. I think it'd be fun getting a bunch of good players together in one room, and schooling a bunch random people who have no clue whats going on. :)
2009-01-12, 1:13 PM #7
uh dota

duh
D E A T H
2009-01-12, 1:21 PM #8
Age of Empires III is a good lan game but it's not as fun with more than 4 human players.

SWAT 4 (and the expansion if you can get it) are AMAZING lan games. Hours upon hours of both single player co-op or verses matches have been had with my friends.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-01-12, 4:49 PM #9
I say it every time one of these threads comes up, but you should really check out Rune, with it's expansion Halls of Valhalla.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-01-13, 5:09 AM #10
Originally posted by DSettahr:
I've always wanted to have lan party where everyone there joined a public server for DoD or CS or something like that, and played on the same team together. I think it'd be fun getting a bunch of good players together in one room, and schooling a bunch random people who have no clue whats going on. :)

Yes, used to do that with 3 of us in Medal of Honour. That was on a 512k connection, have a 21mbit now, so hoping to get a lot more people on if we can just find some games.

Yep, played the heck out of Starcraft, some AoE3, will have to look into Rune/Swat4.
2009-01-13, 1:04 PM #11
GIANTS: CITIZEN KABUTO

best lan game ever
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-01-13, 2:58 PM #12
If many of you have Steam accounts, you could try playing Counter-Strike.

I remember doing that... I think they changed it though, seems like I can't have more than one person online at a time..
2009-01-14, 12:11 PM #13
Originally posted by llibja:
I say it every time one of these threads comes up, but you should really check out Rune, with it's expansion Halls of Valhalla.

Loved Rune.

↑ Up to the top!