Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Backstage with Deep Purple, Joe Satriani, and Thin Lizzy
Backstage with Deep Purple, Joe Satriani, and Thin Lizzy
2004-08-17, 5:47 PM #1
Ok, first off, one of the most memorable and influential experiences of my life.

My friends father was in a band for a few years with Scott from Thin Lizzy (the only original member still in the band).They're still good friends, so thats how we got our side of the tickets. So, we get to boston, meet his father's good friend Marty Walsh( who was in their band as well, since, he's been in Supertramp, and now is a prducer i'm pretty sure, still plays professionally though, looks him up if you want to see his other big name work).

We get in, sit around and talk about music these days, and the show starts. Thin Lizzy was on first, got front section tickets, so it was awesome needless to say.(Yep played "The Boys are back in town")

After, My friend, his dad, myself, Marty, and his two sons headed backstage to meet up with Scott from Thin Lizzy. After introductions, we all sat down and had a drink.

Then it hit me, I was sitting there, having a drink and talking to a rock star, like it was nothing! At the time it really hadn't sunken it much as it did later, but crazy to say the least. Scott had to go take care of something, so my friend and I got up to get another drink, and we ended up meeting up with DON AIREY! If you didn't know, Don Airy is a legendary keyboardist, played for (he said) 4 years with Ozzy, played with Jethro Tull, ELO,Gary Moore, and now was the keyboardist for Deep Purple! We sat and talked for a while,he even talked about how Satriani played such a huge role in his sons recovery from a near fatal disease. After, we chatted some more and then it hit me, it really was a dream come true, sitting there talking to a rock legend as others strolled past, with Joe Satriani playing live 50 feet away!

After meeting some more people, Scott took us sidestage for the last quarter of Satriani's set.On the way we met some more guys from Thin Lizzy including John Sykes, then headed sidestage. We were 15 feet away from Satriani himself! Really was awesome, something you dream about. After his show, we watched the crew take down Satriani's gear, then headed out backstage.After getting to meet Satriani himself(!), we got a chance to meet some more people, then we went sidestage again to go watch Deep Purple. We pulled in there, then in a few minutes, Randi, the bassist in Thin Lizzy came up and stood right next to me. Between and even during some songs we talked a little, he's a really cool guy.

Deep Purple was awesome, Steve Morse threw out some great solos, haha, Don Airey was doing an interlude and played a bit of Mr Crowly! They even gave us some "thumbs up" when they saw us sidestage. Between songs, the guitar tech showed us all of Morse's guitars, even his original, 20 year old Steve Morse edition one. He even gave us some of his picks, haha. We thought they might not, but second to last song I heard the beginings of the notorious rock anthem

0-3-5 0-3-6-5!
(Smoke On The Water, for you not familliar)

The crowd went crazy for that, really was a great moment. Soon after SOTW, they gave their thanks and headed off stage, only to come back in a few minutes for their two song encore. You really wouldn't think for a moment that any of these guys are as old as they were.

After the show, we headed backstage once again for the aftershow get together party thing, i really dont know how one would word it. We stuck around there for a few hours, ended up talked to Steve Morse for a while. It was crazy, such a ROCK LEGEND, talking and trading secrets on our guitar setups! it was really cool, you'd think these guys would have more to do than sit around and talk to a 16 year old kid, them being the rock gods they are.

Met some more people, then when things died down a good amount, we said our good byes, talked to Scott for a little and thanked him for the tickets and the incredible experience, and he said he'd definately let us know next time they were in the area. It was was such a fantastic experience, just meeting so many peopel I dreamed about meeting, learning about how huge shows like that and the bands to go along with it are run, the people, ahh, the list is endless.

Pictures coming soon!

Questions? Comments? Thoughts?

------------------
Punktkerbe | www.hl2central.net
2004-08-17, 6:07 PM #2
lucky *******

smoke on the water ...
fire in the sky ...

durngh, durngh, durngh, durrrrngh, durngh, di durngh
2004-08-17, 6:30 PM #3
Too bad the original Deep Purple is gone... but still, good for you. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-08-17, 6:36 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CavEmaN:
lucky *******</font>

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-18, 6:21 AM #5
I better not tell my mate about this or he will hunt you down and royally kick your *** ! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

As for us though, we're seeing Muse this Saturday (any fanboys here?) though sadly their bassist has had his wrist *****, so it looks like he might not be there! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

How to keep an idiot busy: See below
How to keep an idiot busy: See above
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-18, 8:57 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gee_4ce:

we're seeing Muse this Saturday

</font>

I hate you.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gee_4ce:

(any fanboys here?)

</font>

Yes.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-08-18, 9:30 AM #7
I'll be sure to get some photos up - if I can.

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

How to keep an idiot busy: See below
How to keep an idiot busy: See above
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-18, 3:31 PM #8
I wish I could meet Satriani

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"

[This message has been edited by Outlaw Torn (edited August 18, 2004).]
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-08-18, 6:48 PM #9
I've met several dozen famous and not so famous rock stars. Almost all of them are really down to earth and awesome people. There is small minority who are bastards, such as Fuel (I'm assuming it has to do with being on the verge of superstardom, but sounding so much like every other band and not having a shred of originality that they'll never get past one or two hit singles).

but ya, i'm jealous and i dont really like those bands. it's just that they are the classic rock/prog gods.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"

↑ Up to the top!