Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → audio programs
audio programs
2009-01-12, 8:18 PM #1
hey dudes i have a song on my computer thats 2 hours long, i need to split it in half so i can burn it onto cd. Can anyone suggest a free audio prgram to help me do this? All the ones i've tried so far want money to let me save my files.

Thanks heaps.
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2009-01-12, 8:19 PM #2
Goldwave works pretty well.

Jim7 will probably type a twelve page long diatribe about some audiophile **** no one cares about though. He might also suggest something else that might be useful to a normal person that isn't gifted with super I live in my parents' basement hearing. Only time will tell though.
2009-01-12, 8:19 PM #3
Audacity or Goldwave.
2009-01-12, 8:54 PM #4
Actually, Rob, I think Jim would recommend Audacity in this case.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-01-12, 9:10 PM #5
none of those programs seem to be able to handle the size of the files, they keep crashing.

Are these programs compatible with vista?
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2009-01-12, 9:13 PM #6
Audacity is my vote and yes it works on vista.
nope.
2009-01-12, 9:21 PM #7
try hjsplit: http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/
2009-01-12, 9:26 PM #8
audacity is probably the best freeware audio editor and it should be able to handle 2 hours of audio... i have a friend who used it to dick around with recordings of local bands' shows
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-01-13, 3:17 PM #9
If it's an mp3 use mp3DirectCut so you don't need to reencode.

If you want to make it so that you can reconstruct the original file, but can't play it directly off the CD, use an app like Connection Problem's... simplest way is to use whatever archive program you use. Most of them have an option to automatically split the archive into multiple files that can fit on a CD or DVD.

Also how big is the file, if it is > 3gb you may need a 64-bit system simply to allow the program to load the entire file into memory. VirtualBox can emulate a 64-bit system on a 32-bit system if you can get a 64-bit OS to install on it.

RazorLame will likely stream the file for encoding and thus not need to load it all into memory; if your file is > 3gb you can use this to size it down and you might not need to split it across CDs. Just check the output file quality in a media player before committing.

(VBR quality 2 should be good IIRC, or CBR 192kbit/s. I recommend VBR though.)

2009-01-13, 3:44 PM #10
16bit 44.1KHz stereo wav will be a bit shy of 1.2GB for 2 hours
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!