Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Public Service Announcement
Public Service Announcement
2004-08-17, 1:07 AM #1
Dear Carb-Counters of the world,
In an effort to better suit your sheepish tendancies, I have devised a way for you to lose weight without watching, counting, and recording all of the carbs you eat! Now, I know this might seem hard to swallow at first, but I think it will catch on. It's a one step plan too! Sounds easy enough, right? Well, here's how you can do it:

STOP EATING SO MUCH, FATTY! Yes, I mean you.

------------------
Baby Mama's Drama
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2004-08-17, 3:08 AM #2
Raz's spirits have been crushed.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-17, 3:21 AM #3
Thanks for sharing...

------------------
/fluffle
/fluffle
2004-08-17, 4:00 AM #4
I assume "just stop eating" isn't the healthiest (sp?) way of losing weight.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-17, 4:04 AM #5
In fact it'll probably cause you to gain weight in the long run.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-17, 4:16 AM #6
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/4/prweb117435.htm

There was an interesting article, outlining how Americans are actually getting shorter.
Just 50 years ago, Americans were considerably taller than Europeans, a sign of good health. Since World War II, Americans have grown on average only a few centimeters while Western and Northern Europeans have grown about 15 centimeters. Physical height is a good indication of general health and wellbeing.
20% of Americans are obese and life expectancy has fallen to 28th in the world, despite Americans’ spending more on health-related services than anywhere else.

The U.S. health care system being less comprehensive than in Europe, plus the country’s social and spatial inequality, are the most likely causes of this problem.
40 million Americans don't have health insurance, while the Dutch have the "world's best" pre- and post-natal care.

North Koreans are becoming smaller and frailer than South Koreans, because of starvation and lack of good nutrition. A similar thing is happening to Americans.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-08-17, 4:21 AM #7
<--6'3".
<--Must be healthiest person I know.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-17, 4:34 AM #8
Wow all this support and love for the heavier ones in the world... its so magical almost makes you want to... claw your eyes out with an ice pick.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-08-17, 4:34 AM #9
Well, I guess many Americans look for "fast weight loss pills" and "incredible diets" instead of focusing on exercise and healthy lifestyles.

------------------

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
2004-08-17, 4:46 AM #10
The fact that many Americans can't afford to go to the doctor for regular checkups is a significant factor too. They probably wouldn't be having problems with obesity, but rather a whole host of other medical problems that they can't afford to have fixed.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2004-08-17, 6:13 AM #11
If people got up off their lazy butts once in a while, and spent more money on health food, then had to work harder for more money for more food so that the benefit equation looked like this:

Person = calories put in - calories burned
(huge) = (junk food) - (zero)
(thin) = (health food) - (lots from DDR)
(kak) = (in) - (04)

------------------
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
2004-08-17, 6:20 AM #12
Some carb counters do so for other reasons, like diabetes. My dad is on a low carb diet so he doesn't have to use insulin. Furthermore, counting carbs is not necessarily a sign of ever eating. Hell, I might acutally mean someone is trying to eat a balanced diet.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-17, 6:30 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaxisReed:
If people got up off their lazy butts once in a while, and spent more money on health food, then had to work harder for more money for more food so that the benefit equation looked like this:

(kak) = (in) - (04)

</font>

heh, "health food".

I hope you don't mean all that "low fat!!" milkshakes and nonsense.

Just eat a balanced diet. Fruits, vegetables, fish, meat, rice, all of that is "health food".

And walking to school or work every day is a lot better for you than driving to the gym once a week.
2004-08-17, 6:36 AM #14
I need lots of carbohydrates. I'm 5' 10" and 120 lbs. Even though I've stopped track & field for now, my body still thinks I'm training. I process food like none other.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-17, 6:38 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaxisReed:
(kak) = (in) - (04)

</font>

I feel a sudden urge to vote for kak in the US presidential election. I know I can't because I'm not American, and yet I feel obliged to somehow.

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-08-17, 7:43 AM #16
Dietes that completelly cut out a type of food are what kills americans. You need carbs. You need meat, some vegitables will safice. You need breads. Cutting out an entire type of food is what makes america unhealthy, and fat. Carbohydrates, when eaten regularly, but not a lot, can lower your weight. As long as you're getting a good variety of foods, it really doesn't matter what's in them.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-17, 8:48 AM #17
My main issue with those is that a significant portion of Americans on low-carb diets don't in fact know what a carb even is. I had an article about that but it seems to have died since i bookmarked it.

It's one of the three energy sources, which /can/, although rather inefficiently and requiring much more water, be derived from proteins.

A very significant [let's make up numbers and say 75-85%] of my diet is made up of things which consist largely of carbohydrates [bread/pasta products and so on], however most of those tend to be less refined ones, not say white bread and powdered sugar. Just moving away from really refined/bleached carbohydrates will do you a significant amount of good if youre worried about weight [which i am not so much].

It seems absurd to me to just cut out carbohydrates and substitute with lots of meats. Especially given that for instance grilled meat has been found to contain carcinogens: http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/meat_quality/grilling.html

Mostly it just annoys me on principle. Like those new low-carb sodas which apparently prove that now drinking lots of soda is healthy.. or something.

And the fact that it used to be in the grocer the only thing listed as low-carb was lite beer, now somehow literally /everything/ seems to be low-carb.. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"That's why we had to beat you with tennis rackets".
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-08-17, 8:57 AM #18
A lot of people don't seem to understand that low-carb diets are LOW-carb, not NO-carb. Low-carb diets encourage consumption of carbohydrates, but only enough so that you don't curl up and die. From what I understand, when it's done correctly it's perfectly healthy.

As for simply not eating... That doesn't work. At all. Your body realizes it's not getting any food, so it holds on to all the fat you already have, making it almost impossible to lose weight. By the time you start losing weight from not eating, you'll be so unhealthy that it would have been better just to stay fat.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-08-17, 11:21 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
I assume "just stop eating" isn't the healthiest (sp?) way of losing weight.

</font>

I didn't say to stop eating. I said stop eating so much.

------------------
Baby Mama's Drama
2004-08-17, 11:35 AM #20
Preach it! Preach brotha, can I get an Amen?!

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-08-17, 11:49 AM #21
I think the main reason kids in America are fat is McDonalds

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-17, 12:25 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
</font>

Nope. The main reason kids are fat because parents allow them to become fat. Instead of holding firm, they cowtow to their children and get them fast food. Or the parent(s) do not feel like feeding them so they get fast food places to fill in for cooking.

Same reasoning can be applied to sodas. If you drink sodas day in and day out for 2 decades you WILL GET FAT (among other ailements). Coca-Cola, Pepsi, etc. are not to blame for your lack of control.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-17, 12:31 PM #23
They key element of Atkins isn't the low carb aspect, but rather the high protein aspect. You're allowed to eat as much as you want, but you just don't want to. So a low-carb, high-protein diet encourages you to eat less overall because you have a lower appetite.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-17, 2:17 PM #24
Plus, there is nothing wrong with cutting back the excess sugars from things like soda, candy, etc. I've made a conscious effort to that. Never dropped weigth so easily.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-08-17, 5:06 PM #25
McDonalds is still lame.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-17, 5:16 PM #26
Quote:
McDonalds is still lame.

</font>

Ah. The tone of mild defeat.

------------------

---------@%

2004-08-17, 5:23 PM #27
Yeah, it's a low A.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-17, 11:31 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Plus, there is nothing wrong with cutting back the excess sugars from things like soda, candy, etc. I've made a conscious effort to that. Never dropped weigth so easily.

</font>

This world was founded on a belief. The belief that if you're a fatty, YOU SHOULDN'T BE EATING CHOCOLATE.

------------------
Baby Mama's Drama
2004-08-18, 12:09 AM #29
Quote:

</font>

no... it's technology giving so many options... back in the day a kid had to go outside to play games... these days there are so many options and many of them involve little physical activity ... i'm not blaming video games at all... i'm blaming the existance of options... and the parents parents need to get their kids to go outside and play... also there are too many wimpy *** parents who are WAY too overprotective who would rather have a couch crushing whale than a healthy child who occasionally gets hurt...

ok my post went on beyond what i wanted to say

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-18, 12:15 PM #30
Yes, just stop eating so much... You know, because obesity is never influenced by genetics or anything like that.

------------------
Four dimensions, four fundamental forces... coincidence?
Stuff
2004-08-18, 12:18 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:
Yes, just stop eating so much... You know, because obesity is never influenced by genetics or anything like that.

</font>

Actually, a link between obesity and genetics is coming up.

------------------

---------@%

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited August 18, 2004).]
2004-08-18, 12:27 PM #32
while some of that may be true... being healthy wont make you tall, you will only be so tall naturally, in good health, or in bad... if you ate perfectly until 25, youd only be so tall. I think most people arnt healthy because alot of people refuse to exercise... what is it with all these people that want to diet or take a pill to lose weight just so they can still focus on eating or watching TV.... go outside, move around until you sweat and breathe hard... dont care what you do, but you'll know when its working... and keep doing it for about 20 mins, do it 5 times a week and voila! you're losing pounds already.

**note... please God, dont let some idiot follow my words and go outside and end up dehydrating and dying on my account....

------------------
"Ahhhh!! I'm Burnin'! I'm Burnin!!!" - Cleaner from Max Payne 2

"Why are they called headphones... why not... Headspeakers?" - finity5
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2004-08-18, 2:39 PM #33
It helps to have a naturally high metabolism. But really, losing weight is pretty simple. Just eat less and exercise more. Or if you can't do either, go and live in a third world country (I lost 10 lbs., while vacationing in Thailand).
2004-08-18, 10:22 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
**note... please God, dont let some idiot follow my words and go outside and end up dehydrating and dying on my account....

</font>

Nah anyone who takes advice on here would just burn up from the sun's rays before they got dehydrated. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-08-18, 11:05 PM #35
So true

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-08-19, 2:34 AM #36
Some people get fat even if they don't eat much.

Pie.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-08-19, 6:52 AM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Some people get fat even if they don't eat much.

</font>

*Cough*rasiseshand*cough*

Seriously, I don't really "get fat" I just can't lose weight, I don't eat that much at all, really. I just have a extremely low metabolism.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-08-19, 7:25 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
no... it's technology giving so many options... back in the day a kid had to go outside to play games... these days there are so many options and many of them involve little physical activity ... i'm not blaming video games at all... i'm blaming the existance of options... and the parents parents need to get their kids to go outside and play... also there are too many wimpy *** parents who are WAY too overprotective who would rather have a couch crushing whale than a healthy child who occasionally gets hurt...
</font>

Yeah, exercise is really a more important factor than food intake. Within reason, I mean. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-19, 9:28 AM #39
I feel bad for all the fatties tryin to lose weight because I am in a similar situation...trying to gain weight. And it's really hard when you have just about the fastest metabolism in the world. Seriously, I spend the day pigging out on so much food you wouldn't believe and gain like 5 pounds, then the next morning when I wake up all the weight will be gone after I take a few craps....seriously it's 12:30 in the afternoon and I've already taken 3 seperate craps today...it's like food just passes through my body.

------------------
"If there's one thing I've learned it's this - you just can't shake hands with a fist" - David Allen Coe
2004-08-19, 9:44 AM #40
I think a lot of people are fat because they sit around all day drinking coke, eating chips, and watching TV or sit on internet browsing forums. Listens as suddenly self conscience gamers turn their TV's off and put away their coke and chips* ;-)

↑ Up to the top!