Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → To hell and back... And less than impressed...
To hell and back... And less than impressed...
2004-08-16, 5:30 PM #1
There are major doom 3 spoilers ahead. Be warned.

So I just got out of hell. And that's what we've been hearing all about for so long?

"OMG I can't wait to see hell! It's gonna b soooo uber coolerzzz!!!!1"

It's a red volcanic dungeon. I was almost afraid to hit that damned teleporter button because I didn't know what to expect. That has been the LEAST scary part of this game so far! And I fight about 30 monsters, and it throws me back out of hell. Not to mention the cherry on top is some crappy puzzle boss. Boy that's a tough one too. He spawns drones. Let me think... Shoot the drones? And if you're not quite smart enough for that, the soul cube will TELL you to shoot the drones. Then, and this is the best part, when you shoot all of the drones a big *** glowing circle appears above him. I wonder what I do next???? Oh yeah. Shoot the sh*t out of that circle!!! Hooray. I killed a big monster. And please. Please tell me that isn't what you call a "Cyber demon." If they pawn that thing off as a cyber demon I think I'm going to vomit. For being one of the most hyped aspects of this game, hell has been the biggest letdown so far. The rest of the game is stellar up to this point, but when I got back to mars I just saved my game and turned it off. Disappointed that hell in all of its fury didn't do much for me. Not to mention the fact that the hellknights are pretty much big imps and nothing more. Only slower and a larger target. Oh wow. I'll run up to it with my shotgun, shoot it. Back away. It swings at me. Run up. Shoot it. Back away bla bla bla. So how much of this game is left? And does it get better?

------------------
Change is never a choice. You change, and you are who you have become. And there's not a damned thing you can do about it.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-16, 5:33 PM #2
That's nice.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-16, 5:37 PM #3
I went to Hell once. It's overrated. Too many damn tourists.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-16, 5:39 PM #4
You will go back to Hell later, but it's not for too long. That's not the Cyberdemon though, trust me. That's just some new monster that was added.

You'll recognize the Cyberdemon when you see him. =)

I liked the game quite a bit and felt that it was one of my best SP FPS experiences since Half-Life (and very fulfilling length-wise).
2004-08-16, 5:39 PM #5
Welcome to the modern first-person shooter.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!

[This message has been edited by GBK (edited August 16, 2004).]
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-16, 5:40 PM #6
Ok I'm glad that wasn't some lame excuse for a Cyber Demon. But still. Hell is just a big red dungeon. I thought they were going to shock us so much with it? It's so lame it's like a Doom 3 version of Xen.

Yeah I guess it's time to go back into "waiting for half life 2" mode.

------------------
Change is never a choice. You change, and you are who you have become. And there's not a damned thing you can do about it.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited August 16, 2004).]
>>untie shoes
2004-08-16, 5:44 PM #7
They should have taken the Guardian out (I think that is what he was called) and put in the spider mastermind [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-16, 5:55 PM #8
I guess technically that's the only time you're in Hell, but there's another time that's very "Hell-like" and for all practical purposes could be considered Hell.

I was never bothered by it at all. I didn't care so much about Hell as I would have rather had more Martian surface time or some time on Earth.
2004-08-16, 6:36 PM #9
I was totally blown away by Hell. It just looked simply superb and it felt really hellish. I wasn't even let down by the Guardian at the end. Admittedly, I wish the level had been longer simply because it looked that damn good. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
This post was proudly brought to you by KegZ™ - Now with 38% more Spam
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-08-16, 6:47 PM #10
Hell was perfectly designed, since it's exactly the kind of design you'd expect from Doom.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-16, 8:29 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Hell was perfectly designed, since it's exactly the kind of design you'd expect from Doom.

</font>

Agreed. The artwork and design was just...gorgeous.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-16, 8:45 PM #12
yeah going off on a stupidity fest and expecting something else from doom is just... stupid

yeah so the "puzzle" for killing the guardian was easy to figure out... IT'S DOOM... so they tell you how to kill the guardian.. again IT'S DOOM most people myself included probably tried hammering on it with rockets before they noticed the seekers because IT'S DOOM

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-16, 8:58 PM #13
To the restroom and back, and more or less disgusted... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
http://imagecorner.sorrowind.net/276/3.jpg

[I promise to stop making threads scroll horizontally!!!!]

------------------
ZGPC

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited August 17, 2004).]
2004-08-16, 9:00 PM #14
Bill, you must not have a swank enough rig to really see some of the great effects that appear in the hell levels. The heat effect from the lava is something to drool at. Plus it was a nice change from that creepy *** mars facility.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-16, 9:31 PM #15
dang that is a HUGE turd...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-17, 12:32 PM #16
I run the game on high details. It looked nice and all, but my complaint was that it isn't scary at all. The rest of the game has been pretty spooky, and you're always on edge and everything. But hell was just a run and gun shoot-fest. You've got the pda of the one researcher telling you how he's always sneaking around and he feels like the demons are toying with him and all that, but I never got that feeling. It has alot to do with the fact that they stole my flashlight from me. You should have been able to keep the flashlight, and the whole thing should have been darker. With demons EVERYWHERE. I thought I'd get to hell and it would be the god damned wild west down there with demons running around like wild. With torsos hanging from chains and hearts on spikes. You know, that's what I expect from doom, cause I don't know what game you guys played when you were younger, but that's the Doom that I played. But no. I get a red dungeon, and about 30 monsters. And not one scare.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 2:57 PM #17
doom isn't scary because the sum total of all the tension building is yet another imp jumping out at you, which got a bit old after the second level.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-08-17, 6:29 PM #18
Of course, we all must keep in mind: It takes more than pretty architecture to make a good game.
That being said, i haven't played it yet, but expect to go over to my friend's house within the next month to check it out

------------------
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing: Fallen Soldier
(no site up yet...)
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2004-08-17, 6:32 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Septic Yogurt:
doom isn't scary because the sum total of all the tension building is yet another imp jumping out at you, which got a bit old after the second level.

</font>

*cough*cherub*cough* the crying ... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]
2004-08-17, 6:38 PM #20
I wasn't really looking forward to Doom 3 at all, but I had fun playing the game.

I guess it sucks to be a disappointed fan boy.

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-17, 7:02 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
I wasn't really looking forward to Doom 3 at all, but I had fun playing the game.

I guess it sucks to be a disappointed fan boy.

</font>

It also sucks to be a Half Life 2 fanboy and think maybe there will be a good fps game before Half Life 2, and the you get disappointed.

I guess it sucks not knowing what you're talking about.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 7:03 PM #22
the cherubs are the most disturbing monsters in the game... i applaud the sick individual who came up with them

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-17, 8:23 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill:
It also sucks to be a Half Life 2 fanboy and think maybe there will be a good fps game before Half Life 2, and the you get disappointed.

</font>

Doom 3: Yes, it's a good shooter
Far Cry
Painkiller

All out before HL2. All great games

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-18, 5:57 PM #24
Now the PC comunity learns what happens when a game is designed for a console. You just can't control an X-box FPS that well. And now the PC games fall short of there true potential.
2004-08-18, 6:00 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill:

I guess it sucks not knowing what you're talking about.

</font>

What? I didn't say anything about Half-Life 2.

------------------
2004-08-18, 6:11 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Now the PC comunity learns what happens when a game is designed for a console. You just can't control an X-box FPS that well. And now the PC games fall short of there true potential.</font>

uhm... doom3 was designed for the PC... not for consoles... id isn't even handling the port to the xbox

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-19, 6:02 AM #27
Yes... But it had to be designed to be playable on X-box. Mabye it'll have to be even eisier for that I don't know.
2004-08-19, 6:27 AM #28
And where did you hear that? If anything, they made it so that the Xbox can run it.

Bill - There have been so many great FPS that have come out before the supposedly almighty HL2 it isn't even funny. Maybe if you weren't so obsessed with a game that has yet to come out and has yet to prove itself you would know that.

IMO, HL wasn't all that great, so I'm not really all that excited about a sequel that has seen numerous delay and whose developer has lied about it on several occasions.
2004-08-19, 11:47 AM #29
I want HL2 to be better than its predecessor--I really do! I mean I hated it, and have hope for HL2. But I just can't see myself really enjoying it. Because if it copies the way the weapons handled in HL at ALL, it's going to be crap IMO. Usually you can get a feel for how a weapon fires. In HL even if you crouched and waited, you could be miles off the mark. *sigh*.

But yeah, plenty of wonderful FPS have come out. I would say something about fanboyism, but everyone else has already covered that.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-19, 11:55 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Yes... But it had to be designed to be playable on X-box. Mabye it'll have to be even eisier for that I don't know. </font>

no... it was designed to be playable on PC... vicarious visions has the task of making it run on the xbox... my guess is other than the drop in texture resolution they will also break the levels up into smaller sections... like have certain corridors where another section of the map is loaded... though they might manage to keep from having to do that... i already know i'll be renting the xbox version as soon as i can so i can do a comparison of the 2 versions

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-19, 7:16 PM #31
I was very impressed with the size of the Doom 3 levels, especially after travesties such as the Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 ones (and just in general, lately, since art assets for games have ballooned so much).
2004-08-19, 8:10 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Pate:
I was very impressed with the size of the Doom 3 levels, especially after travesties such as the Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 ones (and just in general, lately, since art assets for games have ballooned so much).</font>

well dx2 and thief 3 suffer from the developed for console curse... sure you need to cut levels up like that for a console but they could have connected some of the sections for the PC version so we could have fewer loading screens...

but yeah Doom3 has some pretty impressive level size compared to most games

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-19, 9:10 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
well dx2 and thief 3 suffer from the developed for console curse... sure you need to cut levels up like that for a console but they could have connected some of the sections for the PC version so we could have fewer loading screens...

but yeah Doom3 has some pretty impressive level size compared to most games
</font>

So... are they going to chop up Doom 3 levels for the xbox?

Doom 3 pc > Doom 3 xbox

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-19, 9:12 PM #34
I thought Theif 3 was awesome?

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-19, 9:58 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:

So... are they going to chop up Doom 3 levels for the xbox?

</font>

possibly... though they could possibly keep the levels the same size or have some type of hidden loading going on like what you see in games like halo...

we won't really know how they do with the port until it comes out...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-08-19, 10:53 PM #36
I did not care for the game overall, but I applaud id for having a consistent (if slightly overdone) design theme for the Mars Base. This is something many games lack.

I was sort of disappointed with Hell, but honestly I can't imagine any computer game capturing the location described in the Bible in all its religious glory. I *did* enjoy the first Hell fight where the stones around you rearrange themselves to form walls and bridges. It was cool as hell and it sort of creeped me out. That and the winged babies were really the only parts of the game I found chilling. The babies were kinda disturbing, actually - I really didn't enjoy shooting babies with a shotgun. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

[This message has been edited by Sine Nomen (edited August 20, 2004).]
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art

↑ Up to the top!