Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Multiplayer problems
Multiplayer problems
2004-08-20, 6:23 PM #1
Hey guys, I'm having trouble with my internet, I've been trying to play certain FPS's on multiplayer (Day of Defeat, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield} and when I search for a game in Day of Defeat, nothing comes up, and when I search for a game in Raven Shield only unresponsive servers come up? Is theres something wrong with my net settings? I don't think it's a virus because I've scanned with norton a few times since it's started, any ideas? And what's weird is, I can play games in WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne no problem.. it just seems to be games where there are multiple hosts for the servers... IDK.. it's really frustrating not to be able to play a new game's multiplayer..

------------------
Uruk Hai 1: *sniffs*
Uruk Hai 2: What do you smell!?
Uruk Hai 1: MANFLESH!
Proud Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-08-20, 6:31 PM #2
NORTON SUCKS

Use housecall.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited August 20, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-08-20, 7:53 PM #3
In DOD, are you using steam or WON? because WON was brutally murdered by that evil steam.

I hate steam

------------------
I am __Ace_1__ , and I approve this message.

[This message has been edited by Ace1 (edited August 20, 2004).]
I am _ Ace_1 _ , and I approve this message.
2004-08-20, 8:18 PM #4
STEAM > WON

WON was buggy. Steam's biggest problems are automatic updating, and buggy friend's system. But the server handling system is awesome, and besides that, we didn't have a friend's network in the first place. So I really see no room to complain.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-20, 8:20 PM #5
I need to grab Steam again. I started to before I got my new PC, but never did anything major with it.

And I've NEVER had any problems with Norton's.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-20, 9:01 PM #6
That's because you never have an idea if you have a problem with it. The scanner itself becomes infected FAR too easily, and it's always out of date, and often doesn't catch smaller backdoors and viruses.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-20, 9:06 PM #7
My scanner updates itself once a day, sometimes twice. The entire Systemworks package is updated at least once a month by me.

You don't have a problem with viruses if you don't go downloading stuff from places you've never been to. You don't have a problem with it if you stay away from sites that don't look trustworthy. You don't have a problem with it if you don't download everything that comes your way. The ONLY time I've had a problem, is when something has seeked ME out. At which point Nortons has caught it and eliminated it.

I've used Norton's and Systemworks for over 5 years now. In that time, I haven't had ANY issues with it. AT ALL.

I think I know what I'm talking about in terms of my software and my computers.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!

[This message has been edited by phoenix_9286 (edited August 21, 2004).]
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-20, 9:18 PM #8
I hate steam not because it sucks, but because it killed my half-life. here's it's amazing story... cd was long dead... and when I install steam... it didn't want to run dod... when I uninstalled steam so I could use won again... half-life didn't return to a playable state without steam, so it had to go with it... DUN DUN DUN...
the horror...
maybe I should save up money to get it back, but I'm too wastefull.

------------------
2004-08-20, 9:43 PM #9
That's a lie, Ian. Systemworks sucks. Norton sucks. It all sucks. You just don't know it. Notice that most of that year you've been on dial up. Also, saying "you can avoid viruses if you don't blah blah blah" is a lie. Viruses hunt YOU down. They scan the internet for open ports on IP addresses so they can attack. They come for YOU now.

Systemworks, even The Screen Savers agree with me here, is a horribly overpriced and crappy product. AVG and ZoneAlarm do better than Norton's crap ever will, and they are free.

And I don't know if you DO know what you're talking about. Not to offend you but to say that Norton actually works when all you've had to test it out on is a Dial-Up connection, well...

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-21, 3:01 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
That's a lie, Ian. Systemworks sucks. Norton sucks. It all sucks. You just don't know it. Notice that most of that year you've been on dial up. Also, saying "you can avoid viruses if you don't blah blah blah" is a lie. Viruses hunt YOU down. They scan the internet for open ports on IP addresses so they can attack. They come for YOU now.

Systemworks, even The Screen Savers agree with me here, is a horribly overpriced and crappy product. AVG and ZoneAlarm do better than Norton's crap ever will, and they are free.

And I don't know if you DO know what you're talking about. Not to offend you but to say that Norton actually works when all you've had to test it out on is a Dial-Up connection, well...
</font>

I've been on various broadband connections for the past three years (friend's house, my house, and university). All those years, we've all used Norton. My friend's four computers and our five computers at my house. Never caught a virus. Norton always catches anything that may be trying to get onto my system.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded

[This message has been edited by Wolfy (edited August 21, 2004).]
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-21, 6:41 AM #11
You're one lucky SOB. Last time I used norton, it told me nothing was wrong with my computer. Scanned with housecall, had over 75 instances of viruses.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-21, 6:53 AM #12
I don't even use virus protection and I don't get viruses... All I have installed is AntiVir XP (GREAT program) and I have the "virus guard" off.

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited August 21, 2004).]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-08-21, 7:05 PM #13
Thanks for changing the subject guys, I appreciate it...

------------------
Uruk Hai 1: *sniffs*
Uruk Hai 2: What do you smell!?
Uruk Hai 1: MANFLESH!
Proud Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-08-21, 9:41 PM #14
I've been using Steam for little more than a week and I had no problems with it whatsoever. I actually think Steam is superior to WON because it downloads server listings instantly and I even how a much lower ping than on WON. My ping's average is like 12-30 fps.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!