Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dollhouse Episode 6
Dollhouse Episode 6
2009-03-21, 4:00 PM #1
Kicked some serious arse. They weren't kidding when they said the serious storyline would begin in this episode.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-03-21, 4:08 PM #2
I seriously did not expect Mellie to be an active .
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-03-21, 4:09 PM #3
what is dollhouse about in 50 words or less?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-03-21, 4:16 PM #4
A secret business in Los Angeles lets customers rent out programmable people for a variety of purposes. An FBI agent is investigating. Eliza Dushku is hot.

(26)
2009-03-21, 4:20 PM #5
Originally posted by Ford:
what is dollhouse about in 50 words or less?
prostitutes with no free will

(full order of magnitude lower :awesome:)
2009-03-21, 4:23 PM #6
:gonk:
2009-03-21, 6:08 PM #7
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
I seriously did not expect Mellie to be an active .

That was :gonk:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-03-21, 7:17 PM #8
Totally awesome. I liked the earlier episodes too, but this just brought it up to another level of awesome.

o.0
2009-03-21, 8:21 PM #9
Agreed. Last night's episode was kick ***. Mellie killing the guy who got caught porking Sierra was such an awesome twist
Pissed Off?
2009-03-21, 9:03 PM #10
Wanted to start this series, but for some godawful reason Hulu only has episodes 2-6. Make me resort to piracy, damn you!
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2009-03-22, 7:24 PM #11
Eh, it still isn't my bit, but it's certainly coming into its own.

I'm unsure if I trust Joss' obsession with sex slaves. At first I excused it as artistic license, but this repeat use is concerning. I know a lot of women seem to be okay with it, and it seems absurd for a guy to be the whistle blower, but isn't it awkward for anyone else? That's 2 shows where women are clearly and unquestionably used as sex slaves. This one happens to be a little more self-realized in that it questions the morality of that concept, as present in the news scenes, but I hope his next production gets away from the strange female exhibition.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-03-22, 7:28 PM #12
Originally posted by JediKirby:

I'm unsure if I trust Joss' obsession with sex slaves. At first I excused it as artistic license, but this repeat use is concerning. I know a lot of women seem to be okay with it, and it seems absurd for a guy to be the whistle blower, but isn't it awkward for anyone else? That's 2 shows where women are clearly and unquestionably used as sex slaves. This one happens to be a little more self-realized in that it questions the morality of that concept, as present in the news scenes, but I hope his next production gets away from the strange female exhibition.

What was the first?
2009-03-22, 7:35 PM #13
Originally posted by saberopus:
What was the first?

lol yea :huh:

Totally awesome seeing Romo and what's his name in this show.
2009-03-22, 7:40 PM #14
Firefly?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-03-22, 7:40 PM #15
edit: nvm :huh:
2009-03-22, 7:50 PM #16
Firefly?

You're talking about Heart of Gold, I guess?
2009-03-22, 8:53 PM #17

Professional prostitution isn't the same as slavery. At all.

o.0
2009-03-22, 8:55 PM #18
Well companions weren't slaves of any sort, but the villain in Heart of Gold was essentially using the prostitutes as sex slaves
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-03-22, 8:57 PM #19
but they totally kicked his ***

o.0
2009-03-22, 9:18 PM #20
True!
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-03-22, 10:42 PM #21
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Wanted to start this series, but for some godawful reason Hulu only has episodes 2-6. Make me resort to piracy, damn you!

Fox.com has all the episodes, unless they take them down after a certain period.

I hadn't been impressed by the series in the past, but this episode does seem to be leading toward a much larger plot than we've seen so far.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2009-03-23, 1:43 AM #22
I'm unsure if I trust Joss' obsession with sex slaves.
Other intelligent comments include:

• "I'm unsure if I trust Asmiov's obsession with robots."
  • "I'm unsure if I trust Orwell's obsession with politics."
  • "I'm unsure if I trust Shakespeare's obsession with the human condition."
  • "I'm unsure if I trust Newton's obsession with mathematics."

because God forbid an accomplished and prolific writer would choose to employ the same thematic element more than once in his entire body of works.
2009-03-23, 11:01 AM #23
Originally posted by Greenboy:
Professional prostitution isn't the same as slavery. At all.

look if the 'girls' are owned by a company and dont receive a share of the profits, even if they do not object per say they are still sex slaves.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-03-23, 11:05 AM #24
Originally posted by Jon`C:
because God forbid an accomplished and prolific writer would choose to employ the same thematic element more than once in his entire body of works.

unless i misunderstood kirby... which is possible. i think he was mistrusting to the repeated use of that particular subject matter. not the repeat use of any subject matter at all.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-03-23, 11:23 AM #25
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
unless i misunderstood kirby... which is possible. i think he was mistrusting to the repeated use of that particular subject matter. not the repeat use of any subject matter at all.

Now I must be confused because it sounds like your both talking about the exact same thing.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-03-23, 11:24 AM #26

...haha, what?
2009-03-23, 11:29 AM #27
I'm unsure if I trust Joss' obsession with sex slaves. At first I excused it as artistic license, but this repeat use is concerning. I know a lot of women seem to be okay with it, and it seems absurd for a guy to be the whistle blower, but isn't it awkward for anyone else? That's 2 shows where women are clearly and unquestionably used as sex slaves.

I don't think its obsession. It looks a lot more like exploring whats culturally acceptable (at least in Fireflys case). In Dollhouse its there I guess, but it definitely isnt condoned.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-03-23, 2:00 PM #28
Honestly, I think a lot of what he's exploring with Dollhouse is stuff that he would have gotten to in Firefly, through River and Inara, if he'd had more than a partial season to work with. If he thinks he missed an opportunity there, it's perfectly understandable that he'd return to that subject matter with his new show.
2009-03-23, 2:38 PM #29
If I were going to be a totally stupid pseudo-intellectual dork, I would propose that prostitution is a culturally meaningful theme that can be used very effectively as a prop for exploring the human condition. Indeed, the premise of the show is prostitution taken to its absolute extreme.
2009-03-24, 6:39 PM #30
Dollhouse's use of the actives as sex objects for clients is perfectly reasonable. If such an organization existed in real life, there is no question that people who could afford it would use the service for designer partners. Joss is just being logical. And if I'm not mistaken, Eliza pitched the idea to Joss in the first place.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2009-03-24, 6:43 PM #31
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Honestly, I think a lot of what he's exploring with Dollhouse is stuff that he would have gotten to in Firefly, through River and Inara, if he'd had more than a partial season to work with. If he thinks he missed an opportunity there, it's perfectly understandable that he'd return to that subject matter with his new show.

Totally, totally agreed. I was just discussing that very thing with a friend of mine last night.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-03-25, 7:46 AM #32
Why would he ever work with fox again after what happened with firefly?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-03-25, 8:13 AM #33
Maybe they gave him a discount/bonus :D
2009-03-28, 8:26 AM #34
Oh man, that most recent episode makes me really want some acid.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-03-28, 9:07 AM #35
Originally posted by Ford:
Why would he ever work with fox again after what happened with firefly?

What else can he do? Say "Oh no, Fox, my show is too good for you, I'd rather not have it air than risk it being canceled by your hands!"?
2009-03-28, 10:33 AM #36
I didn't like the recent episode so much as the 6th.

It wasn't terrible though.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-03-28, 11:31 AM #37
Agreed.
The episode was getting really interesting, but so disappointing when everything just went back to normal.
It wasn't a total wash though, the plot did thicken a little.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-03-28, 11:58 AM #38
I enjoyed the parts where we learn about Caroline, since I don't really care about a mindless doll who has no character. Otherwise, this episode was kind of stupid, even if it gave a lot more of the storyline. I am hoping the "offer" is a whole new life. I will be disappointed if it's just a bunch of money, but my theory is that Caroline constructed a completely new life when she signed the papers. I would find a Matrix-like knowledge upload quite appealing for 5 years of service.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-03-28, 1:02 PM #39
hahaha.... Dollhouse does The Naked Time. Wonderful.
2009-03-28, 4:08 PM #40
look if the 'girls' are owned by a company and dont receive a share of the profits, even if they do not object per say they are still sex slaves.

Except they're getting paid in some fashion. Which was just made even more obvious last night.

o.0

↑ Up to the top!