Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Programming
Programming
2009-03-22, 3:25 PM #1
So, recently I've found myself becomng significantly more interested in software development/programming. I know we have a few programmers around here, and was curious on a couple things:

1) What language(s) do you know? If multiple, do you have a preference? (Excluding HTML and CSS)
2) What IDE do you use (if any)?
3) Do you have a particular naming scheme/notation system that you like to use for controls, and variables, like hungarian notation, a variation of Pascal/Camel Casing, etc...?

As for myself:

1) VB and C#.NET, a little C++, and a little more Java. I have a preference towards VB.NET because it was the first language that I learned, and have invested quite a bit of time into.
2) For VB, C#, and what little C++ I've done, I use Visual Studio. For Java I use jEdit.
3) Up until recently I used Hungarian Notation for naming all my variables and controls. I've broken away from that, in favor of using more readable names, utilizing camelCasing for variables and references, and PascalCasing for controls and methods. But I've found myself being tempted by hungarian notation for the controls, but for consistency's sake I try to avoid it, but still struggle with good names for differentiating my controls from my variables.
2009-03-22, 3:36 PM #2
1. Of the languages I know very well:
C, C++, C++/CLI, C#, Java, Object Pascal (Delphi), VB, VB.NET

The ones I have less experience with:
Ruby, Python, Boo, Lisp, F#, PHP, PIC assembly, x86 assembly (:suicide:)

I prefer C# on a daily basis, but I think other .NET languages like F# and Boo are utterly fantastic. I wish they had better tool support (F# coming to Visual Studio 2010!)

2. I use Visual Studio for as much as I can. That includes C, C++ and all .NET languages. For Java I use Eclipse or NetBeans. I prefer NetBeans because, in recent versions, it has become a far more coherent and usable IDE than Eclipse. I try to find plugins to support my project types for NetBeans, and if I can't, I try Eclipse.

3. I basically follow the camel case and Pascal case notations that Microsoft recommends. Pretty similar to what you'd read about in Code Complete. Hungarian notation is absolutely horrible, even for UI controls, and should never ever ever be used.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-03-22, 3:38 PM #3
I'm a CS major who is close to finishing his degree. I used to enjoy programming when I was younger, school has kind of robbed me of that. As I learn how the business world operates when it comes to software development I get more and more jaded.

1) What language(s) do you know? If multiple, do you have a preference? (Excluding HTML and CSS)
I've done the most work in C and Java. I can passably program in C#. I think the next language I focus on will be Python. Oh, and I did some dabbling in VB6 when I was younger, haven't touched it in years though. Also took a course in IA-32 Assembly, haven't touched it since.

Eclipse for Java, Visual Studio for C#. I didn't use an IDE during my C programming days.

3) Do you have a particular naming scheme/notation system that you like to use for controls, and variables, like hungarian notation, a variation of Pascal/Camel Casing, etc...?
I only recently started naming variables in camelCase, that's about all I follow now.
2009-03-22, 3:43 PM #4
1 - AS3 / Processing ( http://processing.org/ )

2 - FlashDevelop and the Processing IDE (although I might try out eclipse for it soon)

3 - Mostly just camel casing!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-03-22, 3:47 PM #5
1) C++, C# (used the most), PHP

2) VS for C*, notepad for PHP

3) mixture of hungarian, camel and pascal
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-03-22, 3:57 PM #6
1. Java, C++, C, Scheme, and Perl. I prefer Java and C++
2. Visual Studios, Netbeans, and JBuilder
3. Camel casing, comments to separate functions, comments to know, which bracket or parentheses belong to what

I only learned all those languages through classes. Would rather get stabbed with a pen than program in my spare time.
2009-03-22, 4:08 PM #7
[QUOTE=Originally posted by Aglar but modified by happydud]I'm a (drop out) CS major who (was no where close to finishing his degree). I used to enjoy programming when I was younger, but school (totally) robbed me of that. As I learn how the business world operates when it comes to software development I get more and more (bitter, angry, and) jaded.[/QUOTE]

This.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-03-22, 5:02 PM #8
I'm a PHP person who does PHP/Perl-related development and maintenance / server administration for a client (I work for a marketing agency that has clients for which it does internet marketing), which is a big corporate website. I still enjoy PHP and making cool things, but I am never going to be a programmer for a career. It is the farming of the modern world. I am doing two degrees -- one in a business school (finance, marketing, opim) and one in an engineering school (computer science) -- and I know that I will never ever ever get a comp sci job w/ my comp sci degree if I can help it (dud pretty much nailed it). I'm trying to switch my compsci major to a digital media design major to further distance myself from programming. <_<

I should also mention that all my programming experience and knowledge is self-taught from like, middle school and high school and nothing I do for work has been a result of something I learned in college "compsci" courses.
一个大西瓜
2009-03-22, 5:18 PM #9

Know very well:
Python, Ruby, Java

Know enough to use:
JavaScript, C, PHP

Learning/Planning to learn:
Objective-J, Objective-C (I don't think that these languages are particularly nice syntax-wise, but I do understand the reasoning behind them)

Eclipse for Java and Aptana with PyDev and RadRails for Python and Ruby (I have Aptana seperately from Eclipse because I have a lot of crap installed for Java that I don't need for nice languages). At home I use TextMate as well because at the moment there's little reason to use an IDE over a good text editor for Python.

I use the conventions recommended by the designers of the language, it's the best way really.

I build websites as part of a small team, I don't think I could cope with working in a large team for a big company. I like my programming to consist of a series of quick wins rather than huge specifications and year-long development timeframes.

Tip: If you can get on board with a company as they're starting with ecommerce rather than when they're fully established, you'll be able to work in relatively small teams and on the kind of problems that are fun.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-03-22, 5:35 PM #10
Java, SQL and PL/SQL, Perl (a bit rusty), PHP, VB6/.NET, and a proprietary language used by my company that is a hybrid of C and SQL, but without the pointers (:argh:)

Eclipse for Java, Notepad++ for SQL

Hungarian for form objects and Java conventions for everything else in Java. The proprietary language I mentioned has its own loosely-defined conventions.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-03-22, 5:37 PM #11
1) Languages I know very well: PHP, JavaScript, Delphi
Am competent in: C, C++, Java, Eiffel, C# Perl

2) For PHP, Zend Studio (At home, Zend Studio for eclipse, and at work Zend Studio 5.5). For Java: Eclipse

3) For any "curly bracket language" camelCase is usually the convention and I stick to that for variables, methods but PascalCasing for classes (as is generally the convention). I avoid underscores in names, as they generally seem to look out of place. As a side note my biggest gripe with php is the arbitrarily named in-built functions (isset() and is_array(). The one I get annoyed by most is htmlentities() and it's opposite html_entity_decode() *sigh* )
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2009-03-22, 5:40 PM #12

Languages I know pretty well:
C, C++, Java, Perl, PHP (oh, the humanity!), Matlab (does that even count?), Bourne shell scripting, and 8051 assembly.

Languages I am rusty with:
Prolog and Scheme.

Languages I have played with but do not know extensively and should put more effort into mastering:
x86 assembly, Haskell, Ocaml, Common Lisp, Objective-C, and Python.

Depends. When using my work laptop (Windows XP), I use Visual Studio for C and C++, Eclipse for Java, and gvim for everything else. At home on my Mac and FreeBSD machines, I tend to just use vim or nvi.

I tend to follow the standards prescribed by the language designers, with the notable exception of using camel caps in C++ (though I am not sure if I really like that or not). I also follow any standards dictated by the project I am working on. I do like K&R bracing though (well, for languages that actually have braces). In PHP, I roll a dice or flip a coin to determine what style I am using for a given variable or function name, just like those wonderful PHP language designers.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2009-03-22, 6:39 PM #13
I didn't know we had so many PHP programmers
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-03-22, 6:43 PM #14

I know PHP, and some javascript.

PHPEd is my primary IDE, PSPad is my standard editor for anything non-PHP/web related.

I typically camelCase, from habit of many, many years ago when I played around with QBASIC as a child.
2009-03-22, 9:11 PM #15
Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Yes.
2009-03-22, 9:39 PM #16
Originally posted by Emon:
Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Yes.

:XD:
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2009-03-22, 10:36 PM #17

Comfortable with: C, Pascal, Java, Python
Know enough to use: BASIC, PHP, JavaScript
Have dabbled with: C++, Perl
Could probably bootstrap in a short period of time: C# (probably my next project)

My preference would be between Java and Python. I am a big fan of Python's expressivity, often doing in 1 line of code what it would take 10 to do in Java and about 50 to do in C. Basically I favor Java because of its lower-levelness and the fact that it's strongly-typed, and favor Python for smaller, scripting tasks (plus the interpretation is really nice for useability). C, well, I don't enjoy it. My development speed feels so sluggish and frankly, I don't write any software that requires C's speed and low-level control.

That said, Java has a lot of annoying flaws. The API is contrived, the language is ugly and ungraceful, and it has incredibly little flexibility. And thanks to the god-awful API and naming conventions, most Java code looks like an endless hodgepodge of camel-case identifiers from hell. Even so, Java is seemingly good at what it does (whatever that is). I'm hoping C# is a bit better in these respects.

I'm not a fan of the typical IDE. Any text editor is fine. If I'm developing on a nix system, usually vim. Lone exception is IDLE for Python. I can choke down Eclipse for Java if I have to.

The convention delineated by the language's designer(s). It's the nicest way for other people. Plus I'm not picky, so this way is somewhat natural for me. I will say however that for languages that allow a high amount of expressivity at the expense of readability, I will gravitate toward more readable code (which means longer code, but screw it).
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-03-22, 10:44 PM #18
Python is strongly typed, just dynamic.
2009-03-22, 11:16 PM #19
I guess what I meant to say is static type checking. It helps me greatly to prevent potentially rare type-related runtime errors. Although I'm not sure how you'd even implement static type checking in an interpreted language.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-03-23, 1:59 AM #20
Originally posted by FCTuner04:

1.) I would only call myself fluent in C, C++ and C# because those are the three languages for which I never need documentation. I prefer C++ for some things, and C# for others.

2.) Depends. I use Visual Studio in Windows and Xcode in OSX, for most things. I'm too smart and I like myself too much to edit code with vi.

3.) I use whatever is appropriate. My identifiers tend to be long but self-explanatory. Apps hungarian within some methods, Pascal casing for any symbol outside of a method scope but generally camel casing within. Usually it's just whatever I feel like when I write it. As long as someone can read the code I don't think it matters what you capitalize.
2009-03-23, 4:24 AM #21
I don't really know anything about programming, so this thread makes me feel inadequate. :(
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-03-23, 5:39 AM #22
1) MATLAB and that's all really. I had to do a little C at uni, but I've forgotten it all

2) Smultron

3) I give useless variables (counters etc) names of barnyard animals.
2009-03-23, 7:31 AM #23
1)
Real programming: C# on .NET, but I can program in any OOP language if given a reference.
Database: T-SQL mostly on SQL Server and MySQL.
Script/web/other: all the usual JavaScript/PHP/ActionScript/etc. crap. I do these only when I have to.

2) Visual Studio 2008 for anything that'll work in it. FlashDevelop for AS3, Eclipse for PHP, yadda yadda yadda.

3) I'm a naming convention zealot and readability is my god. Hence I follow Microsoft's .NET naming guidelines, NEVER do abbreviations unless they actually make a name easier to read (as opposed to easier to write, which is ridiculous in the Intellisense world). Non-public variables are always in camelCase, and I start class fields with an underscore to differentiate them from local variables and make them easier to find with Intellisense. Classes, properties, methods, events will always be capitalized.

Oh, and Hungarian notation = no.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2009-03-23, 7:40 AM #24
I can't stand it when people capitalize long abbreviations in code. ACRONYMClass. ACRONYMClass.ABCDMethod. Gah!
2009-03-23, 8:40 AM #25
That's why any acronym longer than 2 characters should be lowercase. Like Guid, HttpRequest, etc.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2009-03-23, 10:50 AM #26
Originally posted by Fardreamer:
Oh, and Hungarian notation = no.

real hungarian notation (apps hungarian) is great as this blog post explains: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html
2009-03-23, 11:59 AM #27
1) ruby, javascript, actionscript, java. I like javascript and ruby the most
2) flex builder, eclipse (and just a text editor for javascript and ruby)
3) camel for all except ruby
2009-03-24, 7:21 PM #28
1)
Knew once (rusty): Ocaml, Prolog, VB, IDL, Verilog, VHDL
Know well: C, C++, Java, Python
Use regularly: C, C++
Preferred: Python
Learning: C#, SQL

2)
Whatever IDE fits bets with the existing tool chain. At work that's VS, but I have used Eclipse, Dev C++, Boa Constructor, PyScripter, PythonWin... I also like to give a shout-out to Cygwin, which while not a full IDE, provides a full *nix environment to develop with on a windows machine.

3)
Always blend in with the existing codebase (I'll even change my bracing style to match). Recently I've picked up Hungarian (Systems Hungarian unfortunately, but its not as bad as people say). In new codebases I tend to have inconsistent casing patterns (it leans towards camel casing) and variable names are long and try to include the type if possible.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2009-03-24, 8:19 PM #29
I hate programming. When I was a kid I thought I wanted to be a programmer.
I USED to be able to do simple things in:

BASIC (I made a paint program, a calculator, etc, simple things like that)
HTML
CSS

My first year at a big university I went with the Business major. C++ was a REQUIRED part of the program. WTF. C++ :suicide: So a couple months C++ too.
2009-03-24, 8:50 PM #30
My sister's a Math major and she was forced to take a C++ course. Now she understands why I like programming :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)

↑ Up to the top!