Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → SNES + FF3
SNES + FF3
2009-03-23, 12:57 PM #1
Are SNES emulators and roms illegal still. I'm unsure what is the final law / consensus on such things, seeing as its well out of production?

I keep wanting to play Final Fantasy III. If it is legal and further discussion is not breaking forum rules: does anyone know where I could get a working snes emulator and the FF3 rom?
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-03-23, 12:58 PM #2
Good question.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-03-23, 1:14 PM #3
ZSNES is the best one (and also has upscaling w/ SaI, SuperEagle, or HQnX to make games look awesome in "HD".
一个大西瓜
2009-03-23, 1:15 PM #4
The answer - It's legal as long as the company no longer makes a profit on the game.

Many popular SNES roms have been disappearing from internet. Why have they been disappearing from internet?

Because Nintendo starting selling them again on their virtual console.

Games like Donkey Kong Country, etc.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-03-23, 1:18 PM #5
Rawr. I'll just play my real SNES.
2009-03-23, 1:19 PM #6
Call it Final Fantasy VI kthnx
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-03-23, 1:23 PM #7
Originally posted by Petmc.:
The answer - It's legal as long as the company no longer makes a profit on the game.

A quaint idea, but it's wrong.

Copyrights do not become meaningless if the item in question isn't making money. That would be ridiculous.

It's illegal to download any SNES ROMs that have not been open to public distribution by the company that developed the game. I don't know of any companies.
2009-03-23, 1:24 PM #8
He might actually want to play FFIII though. :P
nope.
2009-03-23, 1:25 PM #9
If you have a GBA or DS, pick up the GBA version, it's probably pretty cheap now, and it has some extras and a better translation.
2009-03-23, 2:32 PM #10
I meant the one with Magus. Its been so long I forgot pretty much everything else. Hell I'm not even sure I spelt the villainnotvillainvillain's name right!
2009-03-23, 2:42 PM #11
Heh... copyright needs a bit of reform.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-03-23, 2:50 PM #12
Originally posted by Jep:
I meant the one with Magus. Its been so long I forgot pretty much everything else. Hell I'm not even sure I spelt the villainnotvillainvillain's name right!

Magus? Then that would be Chrono Trigger, not even a FF game really. There are both a PS1 remake (so can be played on PS2 and PS3 too) and a DS remake of it though.
2009-03-23, 2:57 PM #13
El oh el Chrono Trigger
一个大西瓜
2009-03-23, 3:07 PM #14
i went to fire up my copies of these things, but it seems that a drive crash i had a few months ago killed my local backup
:(
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-03-23, 3:27 PM #15
so how much of that TC you were working on was lost?
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-03-23, 3:28 PM #16
>.>

actually, i never got into making those things
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-03-23, 3:51 PM #17
Who cares if it's legal or not. Download the thing.
2009-03-23, 4:20 PM #18
Oh yea, I mixed Magus and Kefka up. ;)
2009-03-23, 4:38 PM #19
Beware of DS/Advance remakes. They totally jacked up the Dragon Warrior III re-release. The original had all the text in awesome-old english and the new one reads like highlights magazine.
2009-03-23, 4:48 PM #20
http://www.virtualnes.com/ for nes
2009-03-23, 5:08 PM #21
Just played some Chrono Trigger and FF VI.

Oh man this brings back memories. I feel like a kid again, in the good sense.
2009-03-23, 5:21 PM #22
Originally posted by Squirrel King:

this site is great, I used that program they link to so you can map mouse/keyboard movements to your controller. A few weeks ago I played the whole contra campaign and you wanna talk about a short game.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-03-23, 5:40 PM #23
Originally posted by Brian:
Beware of DS/Advance remakes. They totally jacked up the Dragon Warrior III re-release. The original had all the text in awesome-old english and the new one reads like highlights magazine.

That's just one case. The remakes of FF6 and Chrono Trigger are awesome. As far as the dialogue, if anything it's better because they fixed the poor translation issues in them.
2009-03-24, 5:00 AM #24
I had forgotten how glorious FFVI, Chrono Trigger and A Link to the Past were. No game in the past decade has tickled my fancy like these did when I was younger.

Whats better is that these games look great on my laptop with th HD3x mode. Really awesome.

Quality gaming at its best.
2009-03-24, 5:05 AM #25
Don't copyrights last 50 years or something? At which point it either becomes public data or needs to be copyrighted again.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-03-24, 5:09 AM #26
Well not even nintendo roms have been out for 50 years.
2009-03-24, 5:17 AM #27
Look at it this way, its probably still technically illegal, but as long as you arent profiting, and the company isnt losing money because they arent selling it anymore, no one is going to bother coming after you for it.
2009-03-24, 5:26 AM #28
Oh yea, definately. I'm not going to lose sleep over playing a games I've bought with my hard earned money, when I still had a super nintendo. I didn't give them to anyone either, I probably still have them somewhere in my parent's basement.
2009-03-24, 5:47 AM #29
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
the company isnt losing money because they arent selling it anymore, no one is going to bother coming after you for it.

Well, the company is still remaking those games and selling them. You can get FF on the GBA and you can get Zelda on the wii virtual console.
Still, I'm all for romulating, rather be playing this stuff on my pc.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-03-24, 6:36 AM #30
I need to pick up Chrono Trigger on the DS.
2009-03-24, 7:15 AM #31
Originally posted by Deadman:
Well, the company is still remaking those games and selling them. You can get FF on the GBA and you can get Zelda on the wii virtual console.
Still, I'm all for romulating, rather be playing this stuff on my pc.

Except if you don't have a Wii, you wont go out and buy a $200-$250 console to play a 10-15 year old game. Hell, it'd be cheaper to buy a used console and game, in which nintendo makes $0
2009-03-24, 7:35 AM #32
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not going OMGYOURSTEALINGNINTENDOSMONEY!
I'm just stating what would be Nintendos reasoning for declaring that illegal and hurtful to the company etc etc

As I said, I'm all for roms, but technically and factually, they're still illegal.
2009-03-24, 7:41 AM #33
Game companies usually go after people remaking their old games that they plan to resell: http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

2009-03-24, 7:57 AM #34
Yeah, most of the times only large rom sites and resellers get chased down, not users. This isnt the RIAA/MPAA we're talking about :D
2009-03-24, 8:16 AM #35
Damn you Mega, why'd you link that, it's made me sad all over again =[
2009-03-24, 8:53 AM #36
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
Game companies usually go after people remaking their old games that they plan to resell: http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

That's why Square-Enix sucks. Squaresoft would have readily grabbed that staff up, and cranked that sucker out and made an easy couple million bucks.
2009-03-24, 12:18 PM #37
those screen shots actually look pretty good too
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-03-25, 3:16 PM #38
Originally posted by Pommy:
ZSNES is the best one (and also has upscaling w/ SaI, SuperEagle, or HQnX to make games look awesome in "HD".

SNES9x has a much better interface, and pretty much does everything else better.

The only reason to not use SNES9x is if you have an older computer that can't run it.

↑ Up to the top!