Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Onlive
Onlive
2009-03-24, 4:19 PM #1
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6206620.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=topstory&tag=topstory;title

An interesting concept, but i'm not too taken with it. A 5.0 mpbs connection is still out of reach for most people. Another issue to consider, you have to be online to play single player games too? What happens if the servers are packed? Wouldn't this impact the performance of the game too? I'm very iffy either way and 720p is only for this generation. I imagine most games next generation will be 1080p native. Furthermore, I imagine most PC gamers are already playing a resolution higher than 720p.
2009-03-24, 4:24 PM #2
Attachment: 21585/bear-how-about-no-wj9.jpg (82,024 bytes)
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-03-24, 5:24 PM #3
No?
No.
No!
2009-03-24, 5:36 PM #4
I'm skeptical. I know remote access exists for years, but even that is slow and clumsy with even the basic programs. What is "standard" for 1 mbps connections, a Youtube sized window?

It's been stated they have been developing this for 7 years. And it would be nice to play PC games without the headaches over drivers and compatibility problems. But this seems too good to be true. If the games suffer from input lag of 1 full second, that's enough to bring the gaming experience down.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-03-24, 5:37 PM #5
It's also likely that you will experience a sorta of double lag for multiplayer games, unless Onlive plans to host their own game servers as well.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-03-24, 5:57 PM #6
So it's basically just Remote Play for the PS3/PSP, but with PCs... Yeah, that's awful even over a local network, much less over the Internet. This will work when they perfect Internet infrastructure and learn how to transfer data faster than the speed of light...
2009-03-24, 6:01 PM #7
If they could actually make it work 100% it would be awesome.

But yea, it totally isn't going to happen.
2009-03-24, 6:08 PM #8
really nice idea, won't work with the current internet.

5-10 years in the future, maybe.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2009-03-24, 6:45 PM #9
Hey guys, we've got all this spare bandwidth.... I know, LETS COMPLETELY WASTE IT ALL.

Originally posted by Cloud:
A 5.0 mpbs connection is still out of reach for most people.

I would hope so. One PBS station in a city is enough, I dont think I could handle 5 million of them. :eek:
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2009-03-24, 6:49 PM #10
I can't imagine the toll on Onlive's servers if they are steaming 1080 videos to customers.

It's going to be 1080, right? If it's just going to be 720 at best... there's really no point.
2009-03-24, 6:51 PM #11
Oh man, it would be great if you were trying to play the game and a big BUFFERING sign comes up.

It's like I'm in the 90s again! Realplayer, here I come!
2009-03-24, 7:02 PM #12
You guys are arguing from a standpoint of ignorance.

Who knows? Maybe they've found a way to do it feasably, and if they have, it will be awesome.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-03-24, 7:19 PM #13
Well I think the problem is more with the 5mps..Most people don't get that.

A gaming community here, go look at the speedtest.com whatever thread, not many people have that kind of connection.

Until 5mps is standard, or they lower it, they won't have many customers.
2009-03-24, 7:25 PM #14
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
You guys are arguing from a standpoint of ignorance.

Who knows? Maybe they've found a way to do it feasably, and if they have, it will be awesome.

They can't make lag just disappear. If the lag to their servers is only 75ms, and the lag from their servers to the game server is 75ms, you're already looking at a total 150ms ping which in this day and age is pretty lousy. Heaven forbid if your ping lies in the higher ranges.

I could see this working for games where graphics aren't so important, and split-second timing isn't necessary (RTS, MMORPG's, etc), but really, Crysis? :suicide:
2009-03-24, 7:33 PM #15
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
They can't make lag just disappear. If the lag to their servers is only 75ms, and the lag from their servers to the game server is 75ms, you're already looking at a total 150ms ping which in this day and age is pretty lousy. Heaven forbid if your ping lies in the higher ranges.

I could see this working for games where graphics aren't so important, and split-second timing isn't necessary (RTS, MMORPG's, etc), but really, Crysis? :suicide:

You just don't understand their awesome technology that isn't limited by silly mathematics and physics. :colbert:
2009-03-24, 7:58 PM #16
Unless this has some kind of FTL hyper connection that bypasses general relativity, I don't think I'd like the ~100ms input lag. Besides, can you imagine running a game with compression artifacts? Not to mention real time encoding of the video stream will likely add at least another 100ms of input lag in there.
2009-03-24, 8:11 PM #17
Originally posted by Darth:
You just don't understand their awesome technology that isn't limited by silly mathematics and physics. :colbert:

haha precisely.

Seriously though, I know and I agree. It sounds far fetched. But I think its silly of you all to dismiss it out of hand because "it won't work" when all you know about the project is what that poorly written article said about it.

If key figures in our past had taken that position, we wouldn't have the light bulb or the automobile, etc.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-03-24, 8:23 PM #18
People aren't dismissing it because they think it "won't work." It will "work."
2009-03-25, 3:22 AM #19
That would be pretty crappy if they launched a service that didnt work. :)
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-03-25, 7:10 AM #20
Quote:
OnLive, which was started by WebTV founder Steve Perlman
Yep, it'll suck.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-03-25, 7:12 AM #21
I watched a chunk of their press conference last night just to see how they would try to weasel their way around the latency problem... They didn't, they basically openly admitted that it's laggy... So yeah, nothing to see here people, move along...
2009-03-25, 7:39 AM #22
I'm just glad theres a company trying this.
Even if this one sucks, others will take it up, technology will improve, eventually there will be awesomeness.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-03-25, 7:41 AM #23
not gonna happen (this being a truly useful and useable service) unless our infrastructure improves first.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-03-25, 7:46 AM #24
It would work in places like Japan or Korea. You'll be excluding alot of customers in America because of how the internet works down here (and prices we pay for it!)

Not sure how UK and certain European countries manages.
2009-03-25, 7:48 AM #25
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
It would work in places like Japan or Korea. You'll be excluding alot of customers in America because of how the internet works down here (and prices we pay for it!)

Not sure how UK and certain European countries manages.

That and Japan's overall latency is much smaller due to it being a vastly smaller country...
2009-03-25, 7:51 AM #26
I know.
2009-03-25, 9:23 AM #27
Originally posted by Ford:
not gonna happen (this being a truly useful and useable service) unless our infrastructure improves first.

Even if everyone somehow magically had a straight, 1 hop connection to their data centers, the sheer size of the US still makes it impractical due to the distances data still has to travel. It *might* (and that's a big "might") be bearable in a tiny country, but I'd even be surprised in that case.

And how do you scale a system that requires you to have one dedicated server for every active client when the potential client-base is in the millions?
2009-03-25, 9:39 AM #28
[http://penny-arcade.com/images/2009/20090325.jpg]
DO NOT WANT.
2009-03-25, 9:53 AM #29
Originally posted by Emon:
Yep, it'll suck.

Yeah seriously, webTV failed
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-03-25, 10:04 AM #30
The input lag alone would make most games unplayable. There can't be any kind of lag compensation without changing the source code of individual games.

2009-03-25, 12:45 PM #31
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6206620.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=topstory&tag=topstory;title

An interesting concept, but i'm not too taken with it. A 5.0 mpbs connection is still out of reach for most people. Another issue to consider, you have to be online to play single player games too? What happens if the servers are packed? Wouldn't this impact the performance of the game too? I'm very iffy either way and 720p is only for this generation. I imagine most games next generation will be 1080p native. Furthermore, I imagine most PC gamers are already playing a resolution higher than 720p.

FiOS is very cost effective for the bandwidth available. Verizon's FiOS package (Phone, Internet, and TV) is almost unbeatable. I think you'll see most people migrating to FiOS (and probably the more balanced plans like 20Meg Up and 20Meg Down) in the next 2-3 years.

That being said, I think this proposed buisness model only has about a 3-5 year shelf life. No sooner then they reach their maximum profit margin, competition will drive the industry into extinction.
2009-03-25, 12:47 PM #32
You're assuming most people can even get FiOS. We have fiber all over out here and Verizon still doesn't even have a timetable for coming out here.
2009-03-25, 12:50 PM #33
They're just starting it up, but it's taking off quickly. And Verizon is notorious for not giving timetables. That's just how they do business. You'll never get a timetable out of them.
[http://www.speedtest.net/result/436906377.png]
2009-03-25, 12:52 PM #34
that is if the infrastructure is put in place.

you cant have FiOS if theres no cable running by your house.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-03-25, 12:58 PM #35
"As of Feb 1, 2009, the number of homes with FIOS access was 12.7 million (of them, 2.5 million subscribe to the Internet service, and 2.04 million to FIOS TV)."

I'm sure <10% of those internet subscriber numbers is probably enough to support their business model.

I know this doesn't change your opinion of it. I don't even have an opinion myself. I'm just putting information out there.
2009-03-25, 12:59 PM #36
Too bad you can have all the bandwidth in the world, and it still won't get a packet across the country any faster...
2009-03-25, 1:23 PM #37

1080 is a bit ridiculous, and 720p with a bit of AA is just as good. I personally don't think 1080p is the ****ing eyegasm everyone else does--720p does it for me just fine.

And it's a great idea, definitely on track with "web 3.0" which is cloud computing, but it won't really be feasible or effective until about 5-7 years down the road when faster internets are readily available.
D E A T H
2009-03-25, 2:09 PM #38
Originally posted by Cloud Computing:

amirite?

2009-03-25, 2:29 PM #39
Even over a 100 Mbps LAN you'd have significant lag. Even over gigabit.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-03-25, 3:13 PM #40
Originally posted by Emon:
Even over a 100 Mbps LAN you'd have significant lag. Even over gigabit.

And you're calculating this based off of???

↑ Up to the top!